1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guided Tour

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Corzhens, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

What are the advantages and disadvantages of a guided tour? My first time to go abroad was in our trip to Hongkong. We bought a packaged tour so we had experienced a guided tour. On our second trip, it was in Singapore, we also availed of a guided tour. For our next trips, we have learned to tour the country by ourselves, learned the public transportation particularly the bus in Singapore and the train in Hongkong. The advantage of a guided tour is that you have no apprehension, a relaxed tour because you feel secure and will not be lots. However, there is a cost to pay unlike when you tour by yourself, it is cheaper but you have the risk to get lost.

2. Ava

Ava Member

A guided tour is a good idea if you have time constraints and if you are happy to follow a group. It's not necessarily cheaper, but you know how much you will spend upfront.

The disadvantages are being with people you don't like, staying hotels that have poor standards, and being rushed around places that you may wish to spend more time at. I think they are fine for people who want to tick off places they have been to, and to get that selfie, but some people do have a short attention span in that respect. I guess an advantage is not having to think, and get to a hotel and then follow the guide. There is less planning, because you've effectively paid someone to do it all for you.

3. A guided tour? I can only remember one guided tour which I have participated in. That was during my school days. We went on a bus to visit Singapore. On the way, we also stopped for a couple of days in some towns. We slept in the schools on the way. We also slept in a school in Singapore. I can't remember much of that guided tour. That's how much fun it was.

4. reverserewind

reverserewind Member

It actually sounds like a great idea to me. Many people (myself included) struggle finding a right travel partner and, at the same time, are not bold enough to let themselves travel all alone. So, a guided tour will fix both problems. Well, most likely is going to fix.

5. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

When we availed of the day time tour in Bangkok, we were disgusted. The big bus would pick up the passengers by going to their hotels. You can imagine the time spent for that. And then there was a couple who made us wait for 15 minutes before coming out of their hotel. My husband was already upset but what could we do but to wait. Even the bus driver and the tour guide were already exasperated. My husband whispered to me that next time we would not avail of the group tour anymore. And truly, when we came back to Bangkok this March, we got the individual tour to the open zoo safari. It is more expensive but we had the van for ourselves, no more waiting.

6. Miya

Miya Active Member

I used to go on guided tours with my family because it was so much easier. We didn't have to plan anything at all and we could still go around and see all the spots. It worked out to be cheaper too. But now we just travel by ourselves because it's more suitable for us. We don't have to rush to get to new places and we can take our time shopping and buying things we like. My parents are old so having to follow the itinerary given to us by the tour guide is tough for them. We'd rather spend a little more money, plan a little more, but be able to have a comfortable trip.