1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Haggling With Prices Abroad

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Corzhens, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

Especially in the market, it is common for a foreigner to be duped with the prices of goods. One trick taught to us by a tour guide in Hongkong is to haggle the declared price at 50%. When the vendor says $10, you offer $5 and when the vendor cuts the price to $9 then you stick to the $5 until the vendor surrenders with the last price that would be something like $7 or maybe $8. But if you haggle with $8 at the outset, the vendor will stick with his price of $10.

But in Bangkok, it is not the same because the prices in Bangkok can only be haggled slightly. For that example of $10 in Hongkong, you can only ask for $8 in Bangkok because haggling lower than 8 may be an insult to them.

Valentino likes this.
  2. Ava

Ava Member

Haggling does take courage and confidence and I'm good at negotiating, but not always haggling as I feel guilty if I under cut people or insult them. I've haggled a few times in Thailand and I still don't think I did well, but some people are better than others.

The trick I learned is to take small notes and only have in your hand as much as you want to pay. Hong Kong is a different game altogether as in tourist spots they will say 'fixed price' but most locals know what a good price is, and they put up the signs to prevent haggling.

3. Miya

Miya Active Member

I've done haggling in Hong Kong before. You can really only haggle when you are shopping from a street vendor. Actual stores will usually not let you haggle the price down.

It used to be easier to haggle down prices from street vendors because business used to be better and they can afford to proft a little bit less. Nowadays, it's much harder to haggle because business is not so good. Instead of letting you haggle, vendors will instead ask you to buy more and then give you a small discount in the end. It's still a discount, but they are selling more products at once.

4. Valentino

Valentino Member

Not everyone can haggle well and if you haven't tried it then it's best not try it. Before buying something maybe you could do ask the people who work in the hotel you are staying out what the stuff you intend to buy costs. You'll have a rough idea of what you are to pay for whatever you'll buy and if you have to haggle you'll at least know that you are trying to get the best deal not haggling because you are expected to.

5. I enjoy haggling. I practice at garage sales to get a price as low as I can just so I'm prepared for being abroad since the act is so strange in America. I think every culture has it's own rules, so you should walk through and pay attention to other people haggling to see what the norm is. Also, realize that the regulars will get more of a discount than you will as a tourist because they buy more things from a vendor than you will. But it's really fun, I sometimes enjoy the haggling more than I enjoy getting the item.