1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hand-carry Bags

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Corzhens, Oct 8, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

I have been noticing lately that there are many passengers with several hand-carry bags. One time we were in the last batch that embarked the plane and we ran out of luggage space on the overhead compartment. We had to place our hand-carry under our seat. When I asked the flight attendant why so, she answered that some passengers are saving money from checking in their luggage and they just split their things in 2 or 3 small bags. From all I know, only 1 hand-carry bag is allowed in the plane but it seems that it it not so anymore.

2. Ava

Ava Member

Different airlines and classes have different rules. Generally you are allowed one, plus a handbag or laptop bag, and duty free bags, but in business you are allowed more on some airlines. It also depends on whether it is a domestic or international flight. International ones are stricter due to space and domestic ones can be more lenient.

3. Miya

Miya Active Member

I think the general rule is that you can have one carry on bag (small suitcase), a personal item (backpack, purse, etc), and a regular shopping bag (for example, if you purchased something at the airport). I've never had an airline tell me that I can put my carry on bag (suitcase) under my seat. I only put my personal item (backpack) under my seat, which is something I actually prefer since it makes getting things out easier.

You are typically allowed one carry on bag for free and you can put it in the overhead compartment. If there's no space, they will put your bag elsewhere for you. It's not fair to you if there's no space because other people are bringing in more than they are allowed to. I personally would've reasoned with the flight attendant if she asked me to put my carry on under my seat.

4. I always go on an airline that allows one carry on and a purse or backpack. I don't like putting things in luggage because it never fails that my stuff ends up on a different plane and I have to wait for it to come in before I can go to my hotel. Very rarely do I like putting things in luggage but I will if my stay is longer than a week. Otherwise, I'm more paranoid about losing my luggage than I am about the extra fee.

5. How big a carry-on luggage are you allowed? Is there a size limit or is there a weight limit? I remember reading something about using a big coat to carry many things to get around the weight limit. Here's a picture of a special coat for carrying things on a plane:
    CA6vRpG.

6. Miya

Miya Active Member

Most carry-on luggage can only be 9 inches x 14 inches x 22 inches and there's a weight limit of 15lbs or so. Some airlines that are strict will weigh your carry-on and if it's over the weight limit, they'll make you send it. If they're nice they'll let you send it for free, but if not, you'll have to pay to get it sent.

That coat looks awfully uncomfortable. I imagine you'll have to take it off when you're on the plane because it takes up so much space. I don't think I'd want to wear that even if it helps me get around the weight limit.

7. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

Yeah, I also think that it was unfair for us to place our carry on bag under our seats but all the overhead compartments were loaded according to the friendly flight attendant. I was about to protest when my husband silently called my attention to just let it be. And he was right because what can the flight attendant do when everyone in the plane have so many carry on bags? It actually happened again but this time we were able to get the seats in the first row which has a huge legroom so it doesn't matter if we place our carry on bag on the floor.

8. I don't have a big coat like the one in the picture above but sometimes, I do wear a vest with many, many pockets. If it's weighed while fully loaded, I am sure it must weigh more than 15 pounds. However, nobody had ever asked me about it when I travel with it. Maybe it's because I am quite big myself, so the vest did not look that out of place.

9. Miya

Miya Active Member

If you were to protest, the flight attendant would have to ask other passengers with more than one bag to take their bags out of the overhead compartment and put it under their seat. If everyone is allowed one bag, there's no reason you shouldn't be allowed to place your bag in your space. But since it was okay with you, then that's alright because you are giving them permission to use your space then.

10. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

I actually had thought of protesting because I have that personality to insist on what is right for me. However, my husband doesn't want to make an issue out of petty things like that. Yeah, he considers it petty so I just have to keep my cool. But I'm sure if I had somehow insisted to the flight attendant about our right with the space in the overhead compartment, the flight attendant will be pressured and would try to look for a space elsewhere. But I have to agree with my husband not to make bones out of that small issue.

11. Talking about overhead compartments reminds me of the times I travel by third class train. A lot of people who travel by third class train in Thailand are hawkers who go to town to buy things to sell back in their villages. So when they board the train, they will bring with them lots of boxes. In fact, they have a system of pushing the boxes through the windows instead of bringing them through the doors. The overhead compartments would be totally filled. The spaces under the seats would be totally filled. The space between the seats would be totally filled. Only the aisles are left free.

Corzhens likes this.
  12. Miya

Miya Active Member

Yes, it was wise for you to just let it go. It saved time and trouble for the flight attendant. But I just want to let you know that you do have the right to protest and ask for your space back since it is technically "included" in your flight ticket and you are paying for it. If it were to happen again and putting the luggage under your seat would make you uncomfortable, I think you can complain and they'll find better accommodations for you.

Corzhens likes this.
  13. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

I've heard of those stories in the olden times when we had a train plying Manila to the Bicol region down south and also up north to Baguio City. My parents told of the difficulty of riding the provincial trains because it is always full of baggage. When coming from Manila, there are lots of goods that traders buy from Manila that they will sell to the province so expected are clothing items, snacks and candies. And for going to Manila, it is a different cargo which sometimes include not only live chickens but also live pigs. I think that would be fun to ride in a train with that kind of cargo.

14. Ava

Ava Member

If you are asked to put your bag under the seat, it has to be small enough. I know on some flights they say it's too big to put underneath and they take it off me and put it in the overhead locker or make room.

Maybe this is international flights again, but I have been told either to wear my jacket or coat or put it in the overhead locker as I can't have it covering me on take off.

15. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Oh my gosh that is GENIUS...I have often thought about the fact that they don't weight check humans but they check our bag weight, so technically we could wear whatever we wanted and it be compliant with airline regulations! Wonder how comfortable it would be though!

16. Miya

Miya Active Member

I don't think any carry-on suitcase is allowed to be placed under the seat. If they are standard size, they won't fit at all. Budget airlines are especially strict about this.

17. Yes, it's a lot of fun riding a train with that kind of cargo. That's one reason why I always travel third class on trains. I meet a more friendly type of passenger and there's so much more to experience. People traveling in second class tend to keep to themselves.

Corzhens likes this.