1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has Anyone Been To Antarctica?

Discussion in 'Antarctica' started by crimsonghost747, Apr 11, 2016.

1. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Active Member

Antarctica is obviously a pretty remote and extreme destination, so I was wondering if anyone on this forum has ever been there? It's definitely on my list of places to visit but honestly I think it's going to be a while before I get there, so many other places to see.

But I was wondering, if anyone has been there, what do you actually DO there? Apart from taking in the scenery and enjoying the nature, which would probably be the main reason to go there in the first place. I imagine there aren't a whole lot of activities to do but hopefully someone can prove me wrong.

2. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I've heard of a few people going when they've been on vacation in South America - there are some cruise companies that depart from destinations in Chile and Argentina. But all I've known for them to do is go on cruises there - so it's mainly been sightseeing. I honestly don't know that there *is* anything to do there - but I do think that it would still be pretty spectacular to see. One of those bucket list items that's a once in a lifetime thing for me, probably!

3. crimsonghost747

Yes Amelia it's on my bucket list too! Well, I don't have a real bucket list but traveling is a huge part of my life and the goal is to visit many more countries and places and Antarctica certainly seems like a place that I would want to see. It's quite possible that at some point I'll try to do the 4 deserts race which would include a 7 day "race" ( I won't be racing against anyone, just going there for the experience like most of the people do) in Antarctica so that might be the best way to go. :p

4. Valerie

Valerie Active Member

I would love to visit Antarctica. Though I can't stand the cold, I want to witness the beauty of that frozen world before the poles flip and everything melts :(

Pretty sure the voyage there would be pretty amazing too. How do you even get to Antarctica? By a ship? Now I have to do research lol.

5. ellajanelle

ellajanelle Member

Antarctica is one of the places I've heard about a lot but I absolutely have no idea what's in there. Lol. Honestly, all I picture is a frozen place with penguins. Haha! Kidding aside, I would love love love to visit!! Same question with Valerie, how do you even get to Antarctica?!

6. Novelangel

Novelangel Member

Antarctica is one place I've never given much thought to traveling to, actually. What is there to see there but a lot of cold, white stuff and penguins? I guess the Southern Lights are gorgeous from that vantage point, but that would be pretty much the only selling point for me. I don't mind the winter temperatures of my own home state, but I think at minus 58 degrees F., the Antarctic cold would be a little too much for me. Nope, I think I'll pass on that trip. Hawaii sounds like an all-around better deal if you ask me. ;)

7. Quazi

Quazi Member

My American cousin is an oceanographer and was in the region but never left the ship.
    He's into his Californian lifestyle (grew up in New Mexico, moved to California and got hooked into the surfing scene), not much in Antarctica appealed to him.
    He didn't like the cold and I'm sure he mentioned something about it being dark most of the time (must be the time of the year)

8. crimsonghost747

Most activity there is located in the summer months as the winter is pretty brutal, so you would have daylight pretty much 24/7 when visiting. Which I guess just makes it even more fun, more time to do things instead of sleeping or being inside!

9. Quazi

Quazi Member

I think I would feel ill if it was daytime all of the time.
    I don't wear a watch and outside of work hours I live around the light levels and my body clock.
    I'd imagine I'd accidentally stay up for 30+ hours and wonder why I felt stoned (and probably go and hug a polar bear)

10. Novelangel

Novelangel Member

My dad was in the navy and his ship was tasked with drawing up maps through uncharted territory. Yup, he spent some time sailing through the cold zones, and he told me that when it was daylight six months out of the year, the body's internal clock gets all thrown off kilter. You don't know if it's night or not, and you don't feel tired because of it, so you stay up most of the night without even knowing it. I think he spent a lot of time being exhausted due to lack of sleep.

11. crimsonghost747

haha, good stories about the daylight. I guess it's something you need to get used to.... I lived quite a while up in the north where during the middle of the winter there were a few hours or daylight and in the middle of the summer it's a few hours of darkness. I never had any issues (and none of the locals do either) but I've seen some foreigners who have had trouble sleeping in the summer time.

12. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

As I had posted in another thread, Antarctica or the South Pole is reserved for scientists and the only structures there are laboratories for research. It is one of the loneliest places because it is like being inside a space ship. But now that there is internet. I guess the scientists have a way of checking what's outside because of the social media. Regarding the months of darkness and months of continuous daylight, I don't think it would matter much to the people there because they are inside the laboratories.

13. Valentino

Valentino Member

I haven't yet been to Antarctica and to be honest though I plan to visit as many places as I can, I don't think I'll ever be going to one of the coldest places on earth. Why would I want to travel to a place where I'll not have any fun outdoors? However if I'm on a cruise ship that makes a stop on the frozen continent, that would be fine by me.

14. Miya

Miya Active Member

I've never been to Antarctica and I have no plans to visit there. I can't stand the cold plus I'm pretty sure there's not much there. Everytime I hear of Antarctica, people just mention snow and ice. I wouldn't want to visit a place with nothing to do.

15. reverserewind

reverserewind Member

Guys from Metallica have actually been there and that's amazing in my opinion. They became the first band to play a show there. You can watch it on YouTube :)

16. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

Do you mean to say that a band had played in Antarctica? And who are the audience if I may ask? I'm sorry if I cannot click the link because my browser does not allow me to play youtube videos for now. But it is interesting if indeed a band, it looks like a rock band with that name Metallica, had played in Antarctica maybe for the penguins? But it is believable if the band was inside the observatory and had created an MTV video to add authenticity to their song. But I don't think it is possible to have an auditorium there.

17. reverserewind

reverserewind Member

They became the first band to play a show there. They did it all for the sake of setting a new world record. They played for a handful people who work there full-time. The entire audience was wearing headphones, as you may see in the video. The band had some safety concerns regarding the compatibility of the Antarctic nature and loud noises.

Corzhens likes this.