1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has The Brexit Affected Travel?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by DreamingOfCherryBlossoms, Oct 7, 2016.

1. I was just wondering if the Brexit has affected travel? It was a huge thing when I was reading it on the internet but I don't live or travel Europe. I was wondering if it has caused problems or is it just people now have to have a passport to enter the United Kingdom?

2. Not too sure about the new arrangement for passports. That would only affect citizens of the European Union, right? I am a citizen of the Commonwealth so I have no problem with visiting the UK. What I have heard is that with the British pound slightly lower, more people would find visiting the UK an attractive proposition.

3. Ava

Ava Member

I live in England and everyone needs a passport to enter and that has always been the case. Some countries need visas, and that nothing has changed. What will change is the right to work without a permit for those in the EU.

Tourism has been on the up, but also the UK has a good tourism record as sterling has dropped. It has attracted more people and also to buy more, so it isn't bad for the economy so far. I never thought it would be, but know there will be some bumps economically eventually.

4. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

Maybe what can be affected at the most with Brexit is the visa processing particularly the application. From what I understand, there will be some changes in the logo of the stamp and the design of the application form will also be changed particularly for the name of the country - it is UK now where before it was EU. But other than that, a traveler has no other concern. But that is for the tourist visa I am talking about and with the working visa, I suppose there will be a little problem.

5. Personally, I think Brexit is a good idea. Each country is unique. There is no way that all countries can conform to the same laws and regulations. The best people to decide are the ones who are directly affected by the laws. Another thing is the question of immigration. I have nothing against people wanting to move to countries which give them a chance for a better future. However, I am not in favor of those immigrants who want to make their new homes like their old ones, in terms of language and culture. The way I see it, if they want to migrate to the UK, then they should make English their primary language and adapt to English customs and culture.

6. Ava

Ava Member

I'm not sure where you are getting your information from, because it's always been the UK? There is an EU visa called a Schengen Visa, but the UK and Ireland are not part of Schengen are unlikely ever to be. Therefore, people have always had to apply for a UK visa if they are not EU citizens.
    http://www.schengenvisainfo.com/schengen-visa-countries-list/

The changes will mean that EU citizens may have to have a UK visa, but everyone else has always had to apply.

7. Valentino

Valentino Member

I suppose Brexit will have little impact in tourism. As there are people who traveled with the sole intent of finding out if they can find work in their vacation spot (the UK) I'm sure they may decide to visit other countries that are still in the EU. However since the UK hasn't left the European Union yet, until they do there is a high probability travel to the UK will remain relatively unchanged.

8. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

That's much my thoughts on it - I think that passports aside (because I don't know the rules/regulations on that side of things right now!) that to me, the UK has become more of an enticing travel spot for me now because it's more budget friendly to do so now, with the drop in the pound.

I have been buying a lot more from UK based online shopping stores as a result, so definitely from a money perspective it makes it more enticing to me to visit there for travel, rather than less enticing.

9. Buying more from UK-based online stores? Hey, I haven't thought of that possibility. Maybe I should take a closer look at prices on UK-based online stores. What I buy are mainly digital stuff but a lower GBP would mean spending less if I buy it from a UK-based company.

10. Ava

Ava Member

While I am all for people buying from the UK, we still have VAT (that's an EU tax) on all goods. It's good fro Americans to come and visit because of the exchange rate at present, so they should take advantage of it. The cost of some imported items will go up, but it's actually more stable than the media make out. There is no change as far as my life and costs are concerned.

Only the stock markets seem to be nervous as bankers are worried that their tax haven of the UK will be gone and they have to figure out where to go next.

11. From the way you described it @Ava , it looks like life is 'business as usual' for the average person, Brexit or no Brexit. Say, has the Brexit thing made any difference to the immigration figures yet? Are people still migrating to the UK like before?

12. Ava

Ava Member

As far as migration is concerned it probably hasn't deterred people, but what they are doing is being quieter about it because they know the public are opposed to it. Instead the migrants try to keep to their own created communities, which is what the citizens don't like because they are trying to 'take over' some areas. They know that they may not be able to stay, so hopefully it will deter people coming over to work casually and who then claim benefits which was what was happenign and crippling the welfare system.

Tourism has been boosted though as the exchange rate has made the cost of visiting seem cheaper, but it hasn't really by that much. The only people affected by the stock markets are the big investors so far.

13. I am not really in favor of migrants sticking to their own communities. I mean, the whole point of migrating is to find a new life. What kind of new life is there if, after migrating to a new country, you are still living in a community wholly made up of people from your previous country. That defeats the whole purpose of migrating in the first place. Sticking together simply means not integrating with the society at large. Migrants should be required by law to learn the language of the land and to become citizens in the full sense of the word.

14. Ava

Ava Member

This is one of the issues and many don't wish to (I have seen it and heard it) so what do you do? They laugh at you when you say that isn't how we do things in England because they know they can cry discrimination. My parents were immigrants and they intergrated. It becomes uncomfortable for people who are citizens when they must make allowances for others. In that respect it isn't so much about being multicultural, but having different customs imposed and expected on citizens like sharia law.

15. I don't think it has anything to do with discrimination. It's simple courtesy. When you visit someone, you respect the wishes of the house owner. You are not forced to go. You choose to go voluntarily. None of the migrants, as far as I know, have been forced to go to the UK. They wanted to go, of their own free will. I am serious. I really think that the British people have got things the wrong way round. Why should the British bend over backwards to accommodate the migrants?

16. Ava

Ava Member

The sentiment is that now the British are annoyed that they must bend over backwards to accommodate others, but everyone does it for tourists as it is temporary. Most migrants do want to be there and choose to be there, but they want to love how they wish rather than abide by the rules.

It's very sad to see society segregated and communities divided over it, but quite simply many don't wish to mingle and come to use the benefits of a more prosperous country. Not all migrants, but the majority do which is why there is resentment.