1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Haunted Vacation Ideas In The Us

Discussion in 'North America' started by Aimee P, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Aimee P

Aimee P New Member

Hey all..just wondering if any of you have visited a haunted location for a vacation? I've heard lots of stories about The Myrtles Plantation in St. Francisville, Louisiana. I would absolutely LOVE to go and spend a couple of nights there and take a ton of pictures. That is one of my dream vacations (I have many lol). What about you all? Do you know of any haunted vacation spots here in the USA?

Cato likes this.
  2. Valerie

Valerie Active Member

Being that I hail from NJ, I had access to a dozen different haunted locations: Brighton Asylum, the Burnt Mill Road/Clinton Road ghost legends (Pine Barrens related), Abbott House, the Union County Courthouse, and the infamous Eastern State Penitentiary. Of course, I'd love to visit some of the haunted locations outside of NJ and PA, like the haunted hotel from the Shining and whatnot. I also have a fascination with ghost lights, and supposedly those happen a lot around Brown Mountain, North Carolina.

Aimee P likes this.
  3. Aimee P

Aimee P New Member

That is really cool. Did you visit any of these locations at all? There are only a couple of places around my area that are said to be haunted. Nowhere that has been shown on national television shows or anything though. I have heard of every single place you mentioned and have always wanted to visit Eastern State Penitentiary! Very cool that you lived in the vicinity of them. I watch a lot of Ghost Hunters episodes and always say that some day I'm going to visit the places they have been to...not really possible right now but maybe some day. :)

4. Valerie

Valerie Active Member

I have visited them! My favorites are the Pine Barrens and Batsto Village (which I forgot to mention) area, which is full of stories and creepy scenery. I even experienced ghost lights around the Batsto cemetery! You can read an article about it HERE. Truly a great place to encounter the supernatural. As for the Eastern State Penitentiary, I did the Halloween attraction, and it's really well pulled off. However, there are certain sections of the location that are cordoned off, because of the true paranormal activity that comes and goes. If you want to experience that, I'd recommend going off-season, when there are Ghost Hunter-like tours of those floors.

Aimee P likes this.
  5. GenevB

GenevB New Member

There are so many supposed haunted locations in the US that I wouldn't know what to pick first. Ever since I saw the movie "a haunting in Connecticut" or something like, I want to go to the US just so I would get to experience those paranormal events (I ain't a believer). I really want something to scare me off, but I do not believe in ghosts at all.

Aimee P likes this.
  6. maxen57

maxen57 Member

I would definitely love to be on a haunted vacation where the Ghost Adventures crew had been to. Throughout the years, they've featured some of America's most haunted locations including haunted tourist spots. Wouldn't it be exciting to be a part of a lockdown? I'd love to see the asylums, prisons and ghost towns where tourists would be allowed. Bobby Mackey's Music World and Rose Hall Plantation are just some of my favorite picks. It's not just the hauntings I find intriguing but the history behind all of it.

Aimee P likes this.
  7. Novelangel

Novelangel Member

I don't mess around with haunted locations, mainly due to the fact that we tend to find that which we pursue, if we want it badly enough. I don't believe in ghosts, so I tend to believe that demons are the actual culprits of these 'hauntings'. As a result, I firmly believe that if you seek out a demon, you will find one, and that is a dangerous thing to pursue. I really don't want to go on a nice vacation somewhere and have evil follow me home again. That's the trouble with 'haunts', you don't just visit and leave them be. They sometimes get a bit more attached to you than that. Of course, sometimes you find them when you're not looking for them, but at least in that case, you're not actively seeking them out.

8. Aimee P

Aimee P New Member

That is so awesome! I want to try this so bad. Thanks so much for the article. I'll read up on that. Sounds like so much fun and I definitely would rather go during off-season.

I understand this way of believing as my mother in law believes it as well. I believe in good and bad spirits. I think the spiritual world is fascinating and I do know that seeking out evil is something some do but I would never do that (i.e. occult stuff).

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2016
    Novelangel likes this.
  9. Novelangel

Novelangel Member

Well, the problem is that evil can be deceptive enough to fool any of us into thinking that it's not so bad and then we get involved with it and that's where the problem begins. We don't have to seek it out as it's always there. But yes, there are good and bad spirits, except that we won't find the good ones when we visit haunted sites. I too think the spiritual world is fascinating, but I have to be very careful of how close I get to the negative aspects of that world. Even if nothing else happens, such things can creep me out way too much and then I'm not mentally healthy for a day or two and that's not good in my opinion.

Aimee P likes this.
  10. Aimee P

Aimee P New Member

Without me sounding crazy (LOL) I have dealt with demonic entities that portrayed themselves as a loved one to me (twice it happened). I was about 13 at the time and was "playing" with a Quiji board. Crazy stuff and I'll never ever do that again but I definitely do believe in that. I feel as though I can tell the difference now because I tend to be a bit sensitive to that stuff. Mentally unwell is not good and demonic forces definitely know our weaknesses and they go for them.

Novelangel likes this.
  11. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

This thread reminds me of my sister's vacation late last year in Baguio City - the mountain resort where the climate is cool down to 10 degrees C. There are lots of hotels and inns. My sister and her colleagues in the hospital (where she works as a nurse) took a villa, it's a house with 4 big bedrooms. When night time came, they heard so many eerie sounds and some of their photos inside the house yielded extra images, like faces of caucasian in the window pane. It was a terrible night considering that they were all women. On the next day, they moved to another villa and fortunately it was not haunted like the first one.

Novelangel likes this.
  12. Novelangel

Novelangel Member

I have been to Baguio City and I loved it there, although I didn't see or hear anything out of the ordinary. (Except for a drunken fellow singing karaoke all night long at a nearby party.) I did take a tour of the town and was impressed by its beauty however. I'm glad that your sister and her friends were able to finish up their vacation in a more comfortable location. I would not get much sleep if I even suspected a place might be touched by evil in such a way.

One thing we should never play with is a Ouija board. Those things are built to allow the demonic into our lives and I don't know how they ever got classified as 'games' when they are clearly more reasonably labeled as 'tools' for opening up the spirit world. Absolutely, demons know our weaknesses, almost as well as we know them ourselves, so that's what we need to avoid messing with-- things that can damage us psychologically, as well as physically.

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2016
    Corzhens likes this.
  13. Cato

Cato New Member

If I were to recount every reputedly haunted place I've visited, I would break this forum with the length of a single post.

Instead, I will offer you my favorite haunted spot in the U.S.: The Bell Witch Cave in Adams, Tennessee.

In short, during the 1800s, the Bell family lived on the property where this cave is located (which contains several ancient Indian burial mounds), and spent their entire time there tortured by "Kate," a sort of ghost-witch, who seemed especially to hate the males of the family, particularly Mr. Bell.

I'll spare you the rest of the story from my memory; instead, Google the story. In the meantime, however...

Having read about the Bell Witch Cave, a friend and I took a detour during a motor trip through the South to see it and take a tour, conducted by the teenage daughter of the family who lives there now (and charges for tours).

As had happened to many previous visitors, our cameras (both my friend's and mine -- hers digital and mine completely mechanical) jammed. Neither camera had ever malfunctioned before. Our "girl guide" laughed, noted that this "almost always happened," and proceeded to take a photo from each camera -- with no problems.

Deep into the cave, I felt a hand on the back of my bare upper arm -- stroking my skin softly, as might a lover. I thought my friend was trying to get my attention (and I wondered why she would be doing such an inappropriate thing), so I looked back... and saw that my friend was a good five feet or more behind me.

Later, after our tour, we stood on the deck of a small cabin, from which the lady of the house was selling books and pamphlets about the Bell Witch Cave. As we stood and spoke, I felt something in my mouth. You know how it feels when you have, say, a hair stuck in your mouth, and can't seem to get it off your tongue? Except this was not a hair. It tasted like wood. It felt like a matchstick. But, of course, there couldn't be a matchstick in my mouth...!

I ignored the bizarre sensation, which disappeared only after we had left the property.

Later that night, after we had checked into a motel many miles away, I pulled out a small book (known as "The Red Book"), first published in 1890, which I had bought from the lady at the cabin, and began to read.

I have never been so shocked in my life.

Mr. Bell -- who, as I mentioned, seemed a frequent target of the angry Bell Witch -- had occasionally complained of a strange sensation in his mouth, as if "a small stick of wood" were lodged there.

I nearly fell off my chair.

You can believe this story or not, but there it is. If you want to visit a truly haunted place, the Bell Witch Cave is my number one in my book.

Admin likes this.
  14. Lynk

Lynk Member

Oooh I tell you there's a really creepy town I used to drive through now and then in northern rural Nevada called "Goldfield". It's an old gold boom-town that has almost been deserted but not quite completely yet. It's so creepy driving through there, there are all kinds of crumbling old businesses, homes, and hotels. It really feels like there are otherworldly things going on there.

15. Valentino

Valentino Member

I've heard some creepy tales that make me want to visit Lemp mansion. It's not that I'm quite keen on seeing a ghost or just getting some chills. I'm just curious and would like to find out if the stories I've heard about the house/restaurant are true.

p.s St Louis, Missouri. The Lemp mansion was the home to the Lemp family and was the site of four suicides. It is believed that those who committed suicide in this house are yet to move on.

16. Ava

Ava Member

I used to live in Salem, Massachusetts, and basically most if New England has haunted towns and villages. I agree with @Novelangel one shouldn't look into haunted places flippantly, and to take caution. I've seen many things, and if you are sensitive to spirits they will make themselves know to you. How do you know if you are sensitive? Yes, well, when you see and feel a ghost or spirit then you know!

I've also been to Fall River where Lizzie Borden lived. You could visit there as the house her parents were murdered in is now a guesthouse.

17. Oho, I didn't know there are so many haunted places in the US. Many years ago, I was hired to write about haunted castles in the UK. There were many of them. Some of them were already quite well-known. Some were still waiting to be discovered by the tourists. A few had already been turned into regular tourist spots. Some even hold regular events to re-enact some of the historical aspects of the castle. Here's a picture of a jousting event at Hever Castle:
    qPiDtAv.