1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Left My Heart In San Francisco

Discussion in 'North America' started by Corzhens, May 3, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

I haven't been to San Francisco yet, I just cited the title of the song. It was really regrettable whenever my husband would recall his trip to San Francisco. They went to the Golden Gate to see the color of the bridge is not gold. The so called crookedest road, that is Lombard street is amusing. And they dined in Fisherman's Wharf.

It was a fruitful trip except for the camera. My husband's cousin was clicking the camera in all those tourist spots they went to. But unfortunately, they discovered that the camera was not loaded with film... when they were back in Los Angeles.

2. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

San Francisco is a pretty neat city - although, don't stay in the region deemed "the Tenderloin" - I did that as a naïve teenager because the hotels are cheap there, but it's the bad area of town and not really somewhere that you'd want to base yourself!

Fisherman's Wharf is lovely (you have to get some clam chowder there, if you go!) and Alcatraz is also pretty neat if you're into historical stuff.

3. Valerie

Valerie Active Member

Aw, every time I hear that song I think of the Homeward Bound sequel where Chance the pit bull meets the mixed breed dog Delilah and it's the cutest thing ever.

But 90s nostalgia aside, I too have never been to San Francisco yet. I do have friends from the area, and they told me that I would fit right in with the quirky artistic scene. It's also (supposedly) one of the few places in California with a decent cost of living. A friend of mine ran off to San Fran a few years back, got a job and an apartment, and somehow made it work until his girlfriend dumped him. Then he went back to his mother's in NJ...

I've heard of Lombard Street and Fisherman's Wharf. But one of my goals is definitely to see Alcatraz!

4. Miya

Miya Active Member

I lived close to San Francisco when I lived in America. It's a nice place, but it's always so busy. SF is so fun though. There are tons of tourist spots, but you can also go to places like Chinatown or Japantown if you want to experience different cultures. Japantown was one of my favorite places to hang out with friends because they had good Japanese food and good shopping areas.

And +1 for those clam chowder breadbowls. They are amazing and definitely a must-try if you ever head to San Francisco. You can't say you've been to San Francisco till you've tried those.

5. Novelangel

Novelangel Member

I would definitely visit Alcatraz if I had the opportunity to go to San Francisco. In fact, that would probably be the first item on my agenda if I were planning a trip there right now. I love stuff like that as it is not only historical but a bit creepy as well. I understand you can go inside the cells and they clang the door shut on you for a while so you can get the full prison experience. At least, that is what I've heard. I don't know for sure if they actually do that or not, but I would love it. I would also ride the street cars and take a billion pictures of those crazy hilly streets.

6. Norjak71

Norjak71 New Member

I went to San Francisco for the first and only time about 15 years ago and it's just as beautiful then as I see it today in pictures. We took a ferry ride past the Giant's home park where if you're lucky you can catch a home run ball sailing into the water on a kayak. I still see people leaping from the boat when I'm watching games on MLB Network, it's a big deal there. The trips to Alcatraz aren't as cool as they used to be because they don't lock you up anymore so you could see what the cells were like and a lot of it is off limits. They offer no tour guides either they give you a tape and a headset and let you wander through yourself. You do get to explore most of the island though and they show you where the people broke out many years ago and swam to shore (supposedly). It's an amazing city if you have the money. I don't know if I would ever want to live there though, it would take some of the magic away from visiting occasionally which I plan to do actually in the near future to catch a few ballgames and explore the city after dark, which I wasn't old enough to do during my trip there before. Evidently the night-life is just as invigorating.

7. maxen57

maxen57 Member

It's definitely another state to visit because of the various sites and sounds. I would very much like to ride the cable cars. The experience would definitely be included in tour packages. I would like to see the Walt Disney Family Museum, the Cable Car Museum, see the Palace of Fine Arts, and eat at the Fisherman's Wharf. I won't be surprised if I run into a couple of Filipinos there too since it's one of the states where a lot of us gather.