1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Iceland

Discussion in 'Europe' started by amelia88, May 4, 2016.

1. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Iceland is probably in number one spot right now, on my list of wanderlust countries.

It just looks incredible - the landscapes are truly breathtaking, and I just feel like it would be amazing for hiking and outdoor activities, which I love.

If you've never seen what I mean before, check this out:

http://www.boredpanda.com/stunning-landscape-photography-iceland/

Is Iceland somewhere that's on your travel wishlist at all?

2. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Active Member

I went there a year ago. Definitely worth it! Going in the summer and going in the winter are two very different things, I chose winter but summer is more of a touristic time. Obviously not everyone is ready to tackle the wind and the snow. :p

3. One of the most interesting and perhaps deceiving fact is while Greenland has little to do with green, Iceland has lots and lots of greens.

I've read that they used those names in order to make the enemies think they would enter into a territory full of green and thus they would not bring warm clothes while in reality it would be chilly to the bone and they would die from freeze.
    Similar case for Iceland; enemies would hear the word 'Iceland' and shape in their minds a very cold place that would probably not be worth to fight in, conquer and settle. This kept away the attacks.

4. reverserewind

reverserewind Member

Yeah, I agree. It should have been called Greenland instead. There is not much snow there. I've heard that it's pretty difficult to become a citizen of Iceland. They do not want to be a migration-friendly state. Instead, they preserve their culture and nature. Good on them for doing that. However, they are pretty much friendly to tourists.

5. Rachel

Rachel Member

Yes, I definitely want to visit Iceland. I have friends who have been and said it's wonderful, particularly the Northern Lights, which is on my bucket list. I also want to take a swim in some of the hot springs. I have seen lots of photos and I have to admit that the scenery looks utterly breath taking - quite haunting in fact. It's not top of my list of places to visit, but I will definitely get there at some point.

6. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

You lucky thing! Was it super expensive? I've heard a lot of people say the cost of accommodation and just getting around really does add up. Did you just stay in Reykjavik or did you head out and explore the entire island? I'd love to hear more about your trip if you care to share it with us!

7. crimsonghost747

Well luck has very little to do with these things. :p
    No, it wasn't that expensive. Mind you the prices for accomodation and car rental were like 50% off since it was right in the middle of the winter. Definitely rent a car, the trip would have been very different if we hadn't gotten it. I think the car was about 20 euros per day, then again I wouldn't necessarily recommend a car like that (cheapest thing we could find) for people in the winter.. the roads are icy, the wind is really strong and of course likes to push big piles of snow into the roads. So if you choose the tiny cheap option then make sure you have a driver who knows what he is doing when you venture outside of the cities.

We just did daytrips out of Reykjavik. The Golden Circle (definitely a must) on one day, some hot springs and the blue lagoon on another day, went on some crazy route up the mountains, climbed on a volcano on another day etc. Basically as long as we had the car we got breakfast in the morning at the hotel, drove around for the whole day (usually just packed lunch) and then came back to Reykjavik for a late dinner and some sleep.

amelia88 likes this.
  8. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

Iceland is definitely alien to me. It is in Scandinavia (I don't really understand if this is a sub-continent) and I believe it is part of Europe. From what I remember in the Discovery Channel documentaries, it is a cold country with incredibly amazing landscape. As in one post above that said outdoor activities, maybe summer in Iceland is not that icy and if there are prairies, I guess it would be a wonderful sight for one who was born and raised in a tropical country. I wish I could see their volcanoes and other natural resources someday... when we start our journey outside Asia.

9. maxen57

maxen57 Member

Iceland also tops my four adventure spots where I'll be traveling to someday. Three of them are Greenland, New Zealand and Australia. I've only seen images on Google and it's that moment when I've decided that one day, I'll be taking people along to share the awesome experience with me. I've never gone trekking before and every time my Facebook friends post pictures of their recent adventures, I'd feel really envious because the only time I've been out of my province is whenever I'm traveling to Manila. For once I would like to finally see the world and have this awesome adventure I've been dreaming off.

10. crimsonghost747

No better time to start than now! Iceland might be a super expensive destination since you are in the philippines but I'm sure there are plenty of good destinations that are closer and cheaper.

11. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

It is amazing how I realize that my lack of geography knowledge is bigger issue than I was aware of. I knew Iceland was a tremendously beautiful but really, these pictures are stunning and it looks like they are not real but made in photoshop or whatever they use to make some digital photos. I have no idea but I know that me having enough money means travel, travel and travel. Of course Iceland is one of your top listed places. I know that they are rich in fresh water as well and that means a lot of rivers, lakes streams, etc.. Just what I like.

12. krnd

krnd New Member

Iceland seems like a wonderful place, me and my girlfriend wanted to go there this summer but we also heard a lot of negative comments from plenty of Koreans that went there, such as lack of security and a lot of people getting mugged as it becomes a more popular touristic place.

That isn't to say you shouldn't go but definitely take care if you choose to do so! I'd research about the subject, perhaps there are some places that are some sort of touristic safe zone.

13. crimsonghost747

That sounds like absolute nonesense. Iceland is one of the safest countries in the world and I certainly felt super safe there... nothing to worry about.

14. Valerie

Valerie Active Member

When I was in my senior year of high school (wow, sudden sense of nostalgia here), I had to do a presentation on Greenland Iceland for Chemistry and why these are places of interest during the climate shift. I remember the group members and I finding information about how Iceland and Greenland were both hoping for warmer temperatures (especially Greenland). We also found very interesting information on Iceland's prisons--which happen to be some of the friendliest in the world. We laughed hard about that one. Probably because there's hardly any crime in Iceland.

Memories aside, I've always wanted to visit the Nordic region. Iceland seems like a beautiful place full of history. And muesli. The landscape shots you see of Iceland online and in calendars look absolutely surreal. I want to stand on the shores one day and breathe in the sea breeze.