1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If You Had To Choose One Favorite European City...

Discussion in 'Europe' started by amelia88, Apr 16, 2016.

1. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Which would it be, and why?

I've never been to Europe myself - it's one of those parts of the world that I've just not yet had a chance to explore! It's of course somewhere I would love to go one day...my dream is to travel by train and visit as many places as I can there. But if you had to just pick one city for someone who has never been to Europe as an absolute MUST see, which would it be? What makes it such a great city? History? Culture? Food? Friendly locals?

2. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

London is my dream ever since I was a child. You can imagine my excitement when my boyfriend was assigned work in London way back in 1986. We were exchanging letters at least 2x a week. He is a good writer so reading his letters made me feel like I was there to see the fruiting horse chestnuts inhabited by squirrels. His first picture with the instamatic camera was by the fruiting apple and pear trees. And his photos in the Isle of Wight surely made me feel cold. As what they say, London is the best place in the world for a tourist because even the old houses can be considered fodder for the camera much more when you see the Buckingham palace and other landmarks like the Big Ben.

3. Novelangel

Novelangel Member

I would probably pick Venice, Italy. I have never been there in person, but it seems so romantic with all those canals. I imagine taking a gondola ride with my husband, with music playing and the sight and sound of gulls flying around overhead. Ah, that would be the life... at least in theory. Maybe someday I will get the opportunity to make that fantasy a reality.

4. Quazi

Quazi Member

From what my friends say: Barcelona.
    Seems like the right climate, Love seeing the photos of the architecture, really interesting history.
    The cuisine sounds really good too.
    Only negative is probably the cost (but then most large main cities suffer from that).

5. Valerie

Valerie Active Member

Oh gosh, I don't know. Can I choose two and divide my love evenly between them?
    My immediate response is Prague, because a friend of mine has been there and had nothing but good things to say about it. The architecture and sights look breathtaking.
    Then there's Romanian cities--like Bucharest--that I'm really, really interested in.

6. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

Well apart from my country which is Serbia I can only choose from cities that I have visited and that is not much actually. So I have been to Sofia in Bulgaria, Budapest in Hungary , Warsaw in Slovakia, Prague in Czech Republic, Athens, Katherinis and Thesaloniki in Greece, Most of the Malta 'towns', Reggio de Calabria in Italy and that is basically it. I also have been to some Montenegro cities. So my first pick would be Prague and it would share the first place with Italy. Calabria was phenomenal even though I stayed there for few brief moments. Yes, I have also been to Szeged in Hungary but that is yet another story involving Szeged prison :)

7. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I've actually heard great things about Prague too, from friends that have been there. They also said that compared to a lot of other European cities it's much more budget friendly, and that's always a consideration for me who is on a backpackers budget for travel right now! It really does look like a beautiful city too - very cool architecture like you said, and I think the historical element to those would be pretty fascinating!

8. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

I've been to quite a few countries in Europe and so quite a few major cities from London, Dublin, Glasgow, Paris, Madrid, Barcelona, Milan, Turin and quite a few others aswell and its a tough call to make, and I'm not just saying that to be diplomatic.

Every city as its own unique features, but I'll say Barcelona is probably my favourite. I've been 3 or 4 times now, and plan on going again soon, as it's just one of those cities that I can instantly just feel at home in.

9. ellajanelle

ellajanelle Member

I've never been, but it's my dream to visit Verona in Italy. That could be attributed to my love for the movie "Letters to Juliet". The place looks historic and untouched by modern architecture which I really love!!!! I love everything medieval. There's also this place in Spain called "Mercado Medieval" and it's heaven for me!

10. GenevB

GenevB New Member

Probably, it would be Prague, mostly for it's beauty but also because, unlike other more known cities, this one is a lot more quiet. Prague is a city where you can have the time of your life, but not in a lousy way, like people would expect from a trip to Barcelona or London where you have no moment to stay and you're always on the run, Prague is more of a city where you can take a moment to enjoy life itself.

11. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Active Member

Okay that's a really tough one. It's hard enough to think of only a few "must visit" countries or cities... let alone choosing just one.

I'll go with Amersfoort. A medium sized dutch city, you won't find things to do for weeks but it's a great place for a couple of days. There aren't that many attractions (the zoo is nice though!) but the city is very beautiful as the medieval walls, bridges etc are still there. A very pleasant atmosphere, good food, nice people and lots of really beautiful architechture.

amelia88 likes this.
  12. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I haven't heard of this city so now you have me intrigued! I think it's nice to go off the beaten track a little, and see places that give me a bit more of a feel for a places than big cities do sometimes. And you listed a lot of things I love - good food, architecture, and friendly people - those things always make a vacation more enjoyable.

How far is it from Amsterdam?

13. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Active Member

Yeah that place was more of a... well I just decided to go somewhere in the Netherlands for a few days and I started up looking for cities to visit. The architechture really made an impression (just seeing a few pictures through google) so I figured I'll go and have a look. I certainly wasn't disappointed!

I can't remember the distance from the top of my head... it should be something like 1h with the train, maybe a little more. It's a small country, nothing is far! You can find their train schedules from www.ns.nl/en

14. integrity101

integrity101 New Member

My choice would be one of those quaint rural Italian towns in the central regions of Tuscany, Umbria, or Lazio. I love Italian culture, wine, rich cuisine, and the breathtaking views of the landscape. I have this weakness for rural Italian resorts.

15. Coco

Coco Active Member

It has to be Florence in Italy for me. There are lots of museums in Florence, and being an art lover, I was just amazed with the collection of paintings in Florence. I can recommend going to Uffizi, it has paintings dating as early as the Renaissance. The downside is that online reservation of tickets might have additional cost and the lines for purchasing tickets in person can be long. Aside from that, you would also need to line up to enter the museum. But it's all worth it, honestly. Other museums I can recommend are The Gucci Museum and Bargello.

Another destinations that I can recommend is Giotto's Tower. You would need some strength to climb the 400 steps but trust me, the view from above is well worth it. Another one is the Boboli Garden, it has a wonderful landscape and some gorgeous sculptures.

Of course, what's a trip without food? Another great thing about Florence is the delicious and scrumptious food. You just have to find affordable restaurants because food here can be expensive. I recommend: Leonardo, II Pizzaiulo and Santarpia.

Why do I recommend Florence? Because of the art, first and foremost. It's what made me love the place. Then of course, food, since I love Italian cuisine. Nothing beats authentic Italian pizza and pasta. Yum!

16. nenjiavero

nenjiavero New Member

I can never decide on one thing in my life, and the same goes with cities...

I lived in Hamburg, Germany for a while, and I'd love to live there.
    But also, Rome is wonderful, and would be a great place to live.

Tokyo seems interesting, and Amsterdam is enchanting... Awww can't decide :(

17. omgidk

omgidk New Member

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to visit Europe yet, but from all the reading I've done and movies/documentaries I've watched I'd have to say Florence, Italy. It is absolutely gorgeous! The art is amazing and there are so many museums and cathedrals, the whole city is an artwork. Oh and the history! Florence has such a rich history and there are so many famous personalities that lived and worked there. My second favorite is Paris, France because my favorite movie of all time is Amelie which takes place in Paris. It just seems like a very magical city and I've always wanted to visit the Louvre.

18. maxen57

maxen57 Member

Paris, France would be a great place for me. I've always wanted to see the iconic Eiffel Tower and visit the Louvre. France is also known for their wine and dine experience. There's also the Catholic pilgrimage site of Lourdes and the famous beaches that anyone in the world would go to. Tours to medieval locations will also be a great experience.