1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Illinois..the Land Of Lincoln

Discussion in 'North America' started by Aimee P, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Aimee P

Aimee P New Member

Hello members. I am new here and I joined this forum because I have always wanted to travel the world. I can not do so at this point in my life financially so therefor I figured I would join to tell about places I have been and learn about places I want to go.

I live in Illinois and not many people consider the area I live in as part of Illinois due to us being so far south in the state. Some tend to believe Illinois is just Chicago..obviously they know better but this certainly seems to be the case a lot of times.

Well, I'm here to tell you that the part of the state that I live in is beautiful and rich with so much history. There is a little town called Cairo. (Care-ro is the pronunciation). It is full of so much history from years past. Its a sad place now due to most of the businesses shutting down and people leaving BUT in its hey day it was amazing. Full of life. It is still worth a visit.

Another excellent little area here close by me is Horseshoe Lake. This is a man made lake and it is also a camping area. A very pretty place full of Geese. In fact it is dubbed as "Goose Capital of the World". The fishing is hit or miss. This place has really deteriorated over the years as well unfortunately BUT it is still pretty and a nice place to visit.

There are numerous other places to visit here in my neck of the woods and I do hope if any of you ever travel to Illinois that you will come farther south to see all the awesome sites and wonders that we have down here. I'll answer any questions that any of you have.

2. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

I've been to quite a few different states and cities in the US, but Chicago and Illinois isn't a place I've had chance to go to yet.

I think with most places in the world people tend to go to the biggest city, or the city that attracts the most interest, and Chicago is the place that people will think of first when Illinois gets mentioned.

Aimee P likes this.
  3. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

The only thing I know about Illinois is the city of Chicago aside from the proper pronunciation of the state as in silent S. From what I remember in grade school, Chicago is called the Windy City and is it the Sears Tower that is the most famous building? This is the first time I've heard of the town of Cairo which I'm sure is a vintage town that is filled with historic structures and pure culture. Hmm, Horseshoe Lake looks like a farm so I guess goose eggs are common there (we also have a town here with ducks as the industry).

Aimee P likes this.
  4. Lynk

Lynk Member

Wow, I lived in the suburbs of Chicago for several years and never really made it down to explore the southern area of the state much. I really regret it! At the time I was working so many hours and had very limited vacation time, which seemed to always get used up traveling to visit family. I wish I had taken more weekend road trips and explored more of this area when it was close!

Aimee P likes this.
  5. Novelangel

Novelangel Member

The Sears Tower is now called the Willis Tower and it has one wonderful feature... you can take the world's fastest elevator all the way to floor 103, (it's definitely fast...takes exactly one minute) and then step out on the ledge, which is a glass box sticking out from the side of the building. You can see all over the city of Chicago from that vantage point, and it's beautiful. My hubby and I saw it at night in the middle of winter and the lights were gorgeous from way up there. I'm from Michigan, so we are close to Canada and the Canadian geese spend a lot of time in the ponds, lakes and rivers near here. I spend a lot of time photographing them in all their natural glory. :)

Aimee P and Corzhens like this.
  6. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I have some friends who are living in Chicago right now, and yet I still haven't made it out to Illinois to visit them - I'm thinking that needs to change soon.

Oddly enough, one of the first things I feel like I would need to do in Illinois is try a Chicago deep dish pizza. Do you have any recommendations for places there that might serve a good one? I'm a foodie that loves getting to experience different yummy things when I travel, so I guess in a way it's no surprise that one of the first things that came to mind for me was delicious food!

Aimee P likes this.
  7. sararas

sararas Member

You got me at Land of Lincoln! Like yourself, I'd like to travel the world. Currently, travel plans have been put on hold due to financial reasons, too. My travel experiences, however, have been limited to the many beautiful places in my country and some of the neighboring countries in Southeast Asia. But one of my ultimate dream places to visit is Illinois! I'm practically a Lincoln nut. Sort of, hehe. I've always wondered why Abraham Lincoln was considered the greatest American president ever. So right after I graduated from the university, I sort of had a health condition. It prevented me from going to work right away. I ended up visiting the local U.S. Consulate, and the office has a library containing books on American history and from American authors. So, while staying at home, I borrowed all the books on Lincoln that I could find there. It's been ages ago. But nevertheless, since I read biographies of him, I've always wanted to visit Illinois.

Aimee P likes this.
  8. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

When people think of visiting the US, they usually only think about the more famous, tourist places but cities like Chicago are definitely worth travelling to, as they're the cities were you get the true picture of what life in America is like.

Aimee P likes this.
  9. Aimee P

Aimee P New Member

Hello and I'm sorry for the delay in answering you. I have been on a bit of a vacation and I have not been online very much at all. But I have not explored much into Chicago but I do hear they have wonderful pizza and hot dogs :) Hopefully you will be able to take a trip to Illinois to see your friends soon!