1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In Flight Meal Reviews

Discussion in 'Asia' started by amelia88, Oct 11, 2016.

1. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I saw this blog linked on an article that I read on CNN, about in flight meals.

http://www.inflightfeed.com/

I love getting a glimpse into what different airlines serve!

Are there any meals that look great or terrible to you? Do you know any other sites or blogs that review different airline food offerings?

2. Just had a look at the in-flight meals offered. None looked particularly appealing to me. Maybe that's because when I fly, I fly with butterflies in my stomach. Butterflies in the stomach and food don't mix too well.

3. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

That's true - if I'm nervous or excited and have that butterflies feeling, I don't care for eating much either!

I've had some good meals before on planes - one was on Qantas and they served a really yummy pasta and this delicious macadamia white chocolate ice cream!

I thought one of the cute meals on the site was the one that was all Hello Kitty inspired - don't know that I would care for the food all that much, but the presentation was cute!

4. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

We often travel with Cebu Pacific Air. My husband would include a meal in the online reservation. His favorite is beef caldereta which is a native dish in the Philippines which is served with rice. I don't know what happened but in our recent flights for this year, that dish is not available anymore so my husband did not eat in the plane anymore. Our forthcoming trip to Singapore by the end of this month (October 2016) is preferred to have a meal since it is 3-1/2 hours travel but my husband did not order food because that beef caldereta is the only palatable food that the airline serves according to the taste buds of my husband.

5. Ava

Ava Member

I generally fly with British Airways or Virgin. BA food is better, but Emirates is also good, As a vegetarian some airlines will offer an asian style vegetarian meal which I always avoid.

American airlines can be okay, but tend to be bland. I always take snacks with me just in case, and never expect anthing great. Thankfully
    I do like bread and butter, and have survived on that a few times.

6. Miya

Miya Active Member

I think Singapore Airlines and Cathay Pacific both have decent meals. I don't remember disliking anything from their meals. Cathay Pacific even gives Häagen-Dazs ice cream for dessert sometimes. I've had meals from American Airlines before and I wasn't a fan. It was too oily for my taste. It actually made me feel kind of sick after and I couldn't finish my food.

I generally don't order food if I have to pay extra. If it's included (because it's a long flight), then I'll eat it, but I don't order anything. I just eat whatever they have available. I guess I don't mind so much since I'm just looking to fill up my stomach.

7. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I had never heard of beef calderata before, so I looked it up -- it sounded yummy until I saw liver paste on the list of ingredients! :( I don't know that I would like it based on that but maybe I would be surprised! :)

Corzhens likes this.
  8. Just curious. Supposing you can get a discount on your air ticket if you forgo the meals, would you choose that option? I think some of the budget airlines are doing this to keep their prices low.

9. Ava

Ava Member

You won't get a discount because you pay that price whether you eat the meals or not, but budget airlines add it as an optional extra.

10. Miya

Miya Active Member

I might opt for it if it's an option, but it depends on the flight. If it's a long flight, I'd like to have some food even if it's not good food.

11. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

It depends on how you look at it. In our booking for a flight, the meal is already included but you have to option to forgo with it, that's what we have been doing lately is to uncheck the meal and the total cost of the ticket is lessened by the cost of the meal. We also do that with the travel insurance, I just forgot how much. I'm talking of Cebu Pacific Air because that's the airline that I'm well-versed with. About the airlines, I still have to check with our upcoming flights next year. But from what I remember, Philippine Airlines has no option to forgo with the meal because the food is complimentary, according to the note in the ticket.

12. Miya

Miya Active Member

I don't think you get a discount for not getting a meal. For budget airlines like Cebu Pacific, you are not getting a discount; you simply chose to not add additional onto your ticket for a meal. The base fare is unaffected regardless of your choice.

13. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I've definitely chosen budget airlines before and just bought my own snacks - and it's worked out a lot cheaper than going on a full service airline with meals/entertainment and so forth. Most of the time I bring my phone on trips and just put it in airplane mode, and listen to music on the flight, so I don't really need a bunch of in flight entertainment anyway - and as for meals, a couple of granola bars and other durable snacks tend to keep me going until I get to my destination :)

14. I don't ever really like the airline food but that's probably becasue I buy the cheap seats instead of first class. I've gotten into the habit of trying book flights where most of the flight happens at night so I can just spend eight or nine hours sleeping. I try to eat a huge meal before i get on and wait to have my next meal in the country I'm visiting. I don't remember what airline it was though, but we had lasagna and it was delicous. Otherwise the food usually taste like premade cardboard. But then again, the in the country I'm visiting usually is spectacular in comparison.

15. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

My niece went to an Asian country. She took an Asian plane. When the food was served she was not able to eat because the food was too spicy. She had some crackers in her bag and that's what she had. Now she has that habit of inquiring on the plane's food even if it's complimentary.

16. Ava

Ava Member

Yes, that does happen and it's because the plane food is supplied from the company they take off from. I took a flight from London to Nepal and I couldn't eat it and there was no alternative. It's always a good idea to take extra food, and if the cabin crew are good, they can find another meal from business or first class. Most asian airlines don't think to tell passengers that their food will be asian, and it does catch people out.

Corzhens likes this.