1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In South Korea, 4 Is Our 13

Discussion in 'Asia' started by DreamingOfCherryBlossoms, Sep 22, 2016.

1. For whatever reason, architects and builders have to have a number they are afraid of. In America at least, there are buildings that don't have a thirteenth floor. Less than ten percent of Manhattan condominiums have a thirteenth floor. But in South Korea, that number is four. The reason for this is because it sound very similar to the word for death. Because of this it is common for buildings to have three and a three-a floor instead of four. Have you noticed any other countries that skip numbers?

2. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

I think that bad number 4 is also a traditional jinx in China. Yeah, it is the sound of the number when they pronounce it that it would bring them bad luck. I remember when we were in Hongkong, it is surprising to find building with the 13th floor because I am used to seeing 12th floor followed by 14th floor. My nephew has a condo unit in the 60th floor of the building so I always see those numbers in the elevator. With the number 4 in Korea, maybe they have inherited that from their Japanese colonizers who in turn have been influenced by the Chinese in Manchuria.

3. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

4. Miya

Miya Active Member

You are correct. 4 is the taboo number in most Asian countries.

In America, Japanese runned hotels won't have the 4th or 13th floor so they're missing two whole floors!