1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Buсhаrеst Sаfе Tо Visit Аlоnе?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by WilliamV, May 2, 2016.

1. WilliamV

WilliamV New Member

Buсhаrеst is fаr lеss dаngеrоus thаn mаny оthеr Еurоpеаn саpitаls.

If yоu аrе wаtсhful аnd аvоid:

visiting pоtеntiаlly dаngеrоus zоnеs likе slums (Rаhоvа, Fеrеntаri) оr thе Gаrа dе Nоrd аrеа, whiсh is fillеd with gluе-sniffing bеggаrs аnd strаy dоgs;

wаndеring аlоnе in pооrly lightеnеd bасk strееts, аllеywаys during dаy оr night;

bringing аttеntiоn tо yоursеlf thrоugh shоwing оff tоо еxpеnsivе itеms (gаdgеts, jеwеlry);

bооzing in pubs/night сlubs, соnsuming аny substаnсе frоm strаngеrs;

sосiаlizing with tоо friеndly lосаls;

сhаnging mоnеy in strееts,

yоu shоuld nоt hаvе аny mаjоr prоblеms.

2. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

It is as safe as any other and maybe even safer. It is relatively close to me actually. Less than 500 kilometres and since we share the border I have some Romanian friends and some of my friends went there and told me it is quite peaceful. Much more than Belgrade for example or Sofia, Athens or Rome. It is also very beautiful and full of history, as the whole region here is. Do not forget the story of Count Dracula and Transylvania.

3. I've travelled, although just stayed for 1 day, to Bucharest in December. It was quite amazing to see Transylvania's castles. I'm quite sure if you go for sightseeing, you won't meet bad people or have bad experience.

Just stay away from infamous pubs and clubs and you'll enjoy every second of your visit.

4. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

I'm very surprised with that glue-sniffing beggars. I thought they only exist here in Metro Manila. It seems that all cities have their ills and I believe that we should be careful no matter where we are. Maybe it is the poor economy that's why cities have those undesirable characters in the street. But you are right with your advice that you should steer clear of such places and avoid showing off what you have. Like here in our place, foreigners smell of money as if any foreigner is rich hence they are the main targets of criminals.

5. Phileas80

Phileas80 Member

Romania gets something of a bad reputation in Western European media but if you're on holiday in the country then the basic rules apply. Avoid places that are extremely touristic as they are highly priced and attract scammers. Don't draw attention to yourself by showing off expensive goods or highly desired consumer electronics. Finally don't get extremely drunk and keep making sensible decisions. Do these things and you'll be fine almost anywhere in the world.