1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Italy is the most visited country in the world?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by adssolsn, Sep 25, 2015.

1. adssolsn

adssolsn New Member

i read an article online alleging that Italy is the most visited country in the world, mostly due its attractive sites like the Michelangelo and the all exiting february event that is the carnival. is this true, does Italy receive more tourists than Israel?

2. planetX

planetX Member

Is that right? Would it be possible to share the source of that article?

I read that Italy only holds 5th position in international tourist arrivals. France was in the first position with 83.7 million followed by US in second position with 74.8 million international visitors. Spain holds the third position with 65 million and then China had 55.6 million international visitors. Italy only got 48.6 million visitors. I think what you are referring to is the latest update on that. Can you share the link?

Admin likes this.
  3. Rubie

Rubie Member

I think the most recent update on the most visited country around the world is France being the top. You are perfectly correct @planetX. As what you had completely discussed, as of 2014, France is the most visited tourist destination according to the compilation of the United Nations World Tourism Organization. The ranking is based on the international arrival of the visitors/travelers on the said country.

France undeniably seduces travelers because of its perfect climate, amazing foods and beautiful sceneries.

4. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

I'm actually quiet surprised that it's not the USA to be honest because as a tourist destination it seems to be booming all over.

With the cost of flights now dropping and a lot of holiday companies subsidising the package deals more and more people are being able to afford to go, so I can see the USA climbing that table of most popular destinations in the near future.

5. planetX

planetX Member

It is the findings based on 2014 report by United Nations World Tourism Organization as mentioned by @Rubie. May be US improve its position in the coming report.

But it is a fact that tourism is a booming sector all over the world. All nations are now focusing on developing this as a great revenue generator for the economy of the country. But this is a nice thing when cultures and historical places are well protected for the coming generations to have a look. It really deserves attention.

6. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

With transport getting better and also becoming more affordable, the world is getting a smaller place, and people are travelling a lot more than they used to.

Growing up I remember I was lucky if we got to Spain or France for a few days, these days people are flying off to places like New Zealand and Mexico for a few weeks at a time and not thinking anything of it.

7. vinaya

vinaya Member

I knew France topped the list of most visited country. However, I did not know about countries in the top five. I thought New Zealand was also included in the most visited five countries. In France, tourism is one of the three highest revenue generating sector. I believe attraction on France is because of the "French art and culture." Who wouldn't want to go to Louvre and Eiffel Tower.

8. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

I've been to France on a couple of occasions and while it is a nice country, and there's a lot to see and do, I wouldn't say it's my favourite country in the world, and I think there's other more interesting countries that would be worth visiting, for example Italy.

9. serbog

serbog New Member

I don't think that Italy is the most visited country in the world. It may be the most visited country in Europe, but in the world are I think France and Spain and then comes Italy. Italy is a really good country and I think everyone should visited it.

10. genkiWORld

genkiWORld New Member

Well, I’m not sure of how accurate that article was to site Italy as the most visited country in the world, but there is no doubt that it is the most visited in Europe. Italy’s unique cultural allure, its religious aspect, its art side, the culinary magesticness of it, the architecture of many of its cities, the fashion side, mostly on Milan and the music side, all tend to make one very appealing tourist destination. I would sure love to visit one day.

11. nenjiavero

nenjiavero New Member

Italy is history!

I was in Rome, Venice and Florence so far, and I still want to see Milano, Toscany and other places.
    I can't really decide which city I liked more.

I loved Rome for all the history that you can see. The Colosseum is amazing, and makes you wonder how did they manage to build something so magnificent, hundreds of years ago!
    Venice is beautiful, and exciting... There is always the "danger" of floods, so you have to have a pair of protective boots handy, just in case :D We actually had two, and walked through knee-high water to get back to our group.
    And then Florence... Like the beautiful name, Florence is a beautiful city. The artist in me wanted to stay there forever, and enjoy the art of the true classic artist like DaVinci, Michelangelo etc.

But in the end, what I think is making Italy so popular, are the Italians. They are very friendly and outgoing (unlike the French), and even if they don't speak any foreign language, they try really hard to make your stay in Italy a beautiful memory.

12. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlands New Member

This doesn't really surprise me. Not only do they beautiful buildings and nice weather (and beaches, depending on where you go in the country) but the people are so welcoming. Whenever I have been to Italy, they have made me feel right at home from the moment that I stepped off the plane. You don't really get that in many other countries, so you should make the most of it when you can.

13. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

I am not sure about this but why not, when I think about it. I just always thought that America is the most visited country or France maybe. Italy is wonderful really. It has everything it needs to be the number one. Good climate, great food, wonderful happy people and sandy beaches. Wine is also great especially in the lower south region of Calabria I think. So, all combined it is very possible that it is the number one.

14. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Here's a link I found with data from 2015 - it looks like France is now in top spot with Italy coming in 5th.

http://www.wildjunket.com/2015/11/03/most-visited-countries-2015/

I guess it's a lot easier to travel around Europe too, since international visitors can easily get from country to country there. I'm not surprised by the list, really.

15. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

I have to agree with that article that maybe Italy is the most visited for a time. I myself have that dream of going to Rome, the Vatican City in particular. And I also agree that Italy is a living history that I imagine to feel the history of the Romans that I have read in school books. I'm sure the structures like old houses and buildings would be great fodder for the camera. And not to forget, the Italian cuisine would be on top of the list. How I wish to sample a real Italian pizza and pasta. That would be one great time for me.

16. Phileas80

Phileas80 Member

Having lived in France, the people there are quite proud of the fact that the country is the most visited in the world. There are a number of great regions for tourists to discover with the south of France providing some great beach options. It is Paris though that attracts a huge amount of tourists on a regular basis, with the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre and the Sacre Coeur proving to be big pulls for tourists. It has to be said that Parisians aren't always the friendliest and the customer service in the city has diminished due to the high turnover of guests in the city.

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  17. reverserewind

reverserewind Member

That's probably true and it's definitely for a reason. Only Venice alone attracts about a million tourists each year. It's Venice and we all know why it happens. Besides it, Italy has a lot more to offer. Believe me. Milan, for example. A very beautiful city, isn't it? Florence is on the list, too. You can do a lot of winter sports in Aosta Valley. Rome, of course. How can I forget about it? And Naples, too.

18. maxen57

maxen57 Member

First off, you need to consider why people would prefer this first world country to Israel. What are the places to see, the culture, the local scenery, the history and the customs? Israel is a place I would go to for a religious pilgrimage. I'm Catholic so I've been planning this also for a while now. Italy is on a different level because people often go there to bask in the grandeur that had always been at every pavement, and every structure built by the hands of its ancestors. The Coliseum, despite its ruin, holds so much the ghosts of gladiators who fought for glory and the entertainment of the people. Their massive contribution to politics alone is undeniable. History itself will dictate to you why people want to flock to Italy.

19. Phileas80

Phileas80 Member

To gain a better understanding of the entire issue of holidaymaking it would be nice to have the figures for which countries provide the most visitors. I have a feeling France, Spain and Italy share the same tourists with many people in Europe just alternating between those countries. For people in the UK, Germany, Holland etc those 3 countries are popular tourist destinations. Also the time spent getting there is minimal when compared to a journey to the US for example. If holidays to the USA were cheaper for people in Latin America then I think the US would be the most visited country in the world.

20. adamgilcristt

adamgilcristt New Member

I agree with you, Italy is the most visited country in the world because this country has a lot of beautiful places and things to attract people from the world, but I think France also has the equal share in the most visited countries.