1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jungle safari in Africa

Discussion in 'Africa' started by vinaya, Sep 26, 2015.

1. vinaya

vinaya Member

African climate in suitable for various wild animals, from elephant, the biggest terrestrial animal, to lion, the king of jungle, tallest animal giraffe, strong animal rhino, and many others. However, the question is which country has good animal density. In other words, which African country is the best destination for jungle safari.

2. Rubie

Rubie Member

I haven't been in Africa yet, but as far as i know Africa is abundant in wild life. And as one of the jungle safari in Africa is the Masai Mara Safari which is situated at Kenya. It is also a tourist destination for those who love animals, specifically the wild ones.

Masai Mara is considered to be the best park and one of Africa's highest wildlife density regions for predators. The comfortable moderate climate, the location and the wildlife puts the Masai Mara at the top of the list.

The wildlife that frequently resides are impalas, topis, giraffes, elephants, zebras, buffalos, warthogs and other grazing herbivores. With so many prey animals, Masai Mara is a abudant of large predators, such as lions, cheetahs, leopards, crocodiles and other powerful hunters. The presence of terrestrial animals is enhanced by more than 450 winged species, including 57 birds of prey.

vinaya likes this.
  3. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

Going on a safari in Africa as never been something that's appealed to me really, although I know it's very popular with others, and I would assume that safari holidays would make up the majority of tourism in Africa.

For the best safari, I think that would be down to the individual and depending what animals you want to see would depend on where you'd choose to go.

vinaya likes this.
  4. planetX

planetX Member

I heard a lot about gigantic lions of Duba, Botswana. What is so special about this place is that you can see lions hunting in the day light. Lions are well known night predators, but its surprising to see them hunting during day times. It's still a nature's mystery. You can witness a lot of fierce battles between huge buffaloes and majestic lions in the day light almost every day. It is very terrifying.

I really wish to go there once.

vinaya likes this.
  5. vinaya

vinaya Member

@pwarbi I am always fascinated by wild animals. I feel it is better to see animals in their natural habitat instead of zoo.

@Rubie thanks for recommending Kenya. I believe Kenya is one of the best destinations for jungle safari.

@planetX hunting lions in the day light, battles of buffaloes sound very interesting.

6. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

Oh I agree, if your an animal lover then it's always best to see them in their natural habitat rather than cages up in a zoo, which I don't agree with.

While I like animals I just meant for an holiday a safari isn't something that I'd consider. When I go on holiday I like my luxuries to much, but I can see why some would enjoy them.

7. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Active Member

Well I never had time to go for a safari but when I was in Tanzania I had a talk with "a local" (British guy but he had lived there for about 20 years now) and he said it's much better in Tanzania than in Kenya. Of course everyone goes to Kenya (because it's what you will see in the media, it's the country you will hear the most about) but he seemed to think that Tanzania was the place to be. I would imagine that you get a more authentic experience in a place that is a bit less frequented by tourists.

Admin likes this.
  8. integrity101

integrity101 New Member

I would still root for Kenya as the best destination but admit that Tanzania is emerging as a better destination mainly because of the lower rates and a growing diversity of natural attractions. However, if you are looking for the best hotels and outdoor experience, Kenya is your best bet.

9. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

The Serengeti plains in Africa is in the bucket list of my husband. I think it is in Kenya. He had already contacted a safari operator and although the cost is unreachable for us at this moment, the tour package is very interesting since you can experience a real safari.

By the way, we were in Bangkok last month and we availed of the safari package in the open zoo. It was fascinating to see hundreds of giraffe and maybe thousands of birds in one place. Except for the tigers and the lone lion, most animals there ignored our van.

10. Noreht

Noreht New Member

I am surprised no one has mentioned the Kruger National Park in South Africa. They have many lodges available there, from the most lavish to the most basic. They also have the big 5 within their borders. What more could you want?

11. Catchmeifyoucan

Catchmeifyoucan New Member

Nice. When I think about safari I think about the Serengetti. I think it's pretty arid, and I'm not sure how the tours would work out there or if it would be expensive, but you could see some of the larger animals.

12. Phileas80

Phileas80 Member

Kenya is the go to destination for the vast majority of tourists as you'll get what you are looking for. As for an alternative to what has already been suggested I would go for Congo, not strictly safari but has lots of natural forests and greenland that provides shelter to a number of animals.

13. Lynk

Lynk Member

My aunt just returned from a trip to Botswsana where she went on a safari. The photos she got were amazing and I couldn't believe the variety of animals. From what I understand it is a very nice country to visit also with great amenities.

14. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Active Member

Yeah congo sounds like a very interesting destination. Though understandably most safaris take place in the wide open spaces because you can actually see something, whereas in the rain forests of congo you might not spot too many bigger animals as they have places to hide.

15. Phileas80

Phileas80 Member

Yes, that's a good point. The open spaces are very convenient and are perfect for tours as you can drive around a see the animals easily. I think the forests in Congo are for the more adventurous.

16. maxen57

maxen57 Member

The safaris are a regular attraction but I don't like it when tourists also pay to experience shooting an animal even if it's an old animal. There had been a lot of people who had their photographs taken beside the animals they've killed. One of them went viral on the Internet and was criticized by netizens. Her reason for shooting them is because she wanted to be famous to get her own reality show. I don't know what happened after that but the animal was actually fed to the villagers. I guess those safaris are just a way to stroke other people's ego in turn for making a profit.

17. tgthewriter1

tgthewriter1 New Member

You should bring a weapon before you visit the animals. Some of the animals are dangerous. Do not go out there without a weapon.

18. Valentino

Valentino Member

I think Tanzania has more to offer than any other African country currently.

Were it not for the civil war in DR Congo, I would have recommended it as the best place for a jungle Safari because out there more than half the country is still a jungle. Literally. And it's got a variety of animals that you may not see in the Savannah grasslands including the legendary Mokèlé-mbèmbé, a Lock Ness-like water monster.