1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just Been To Bangkok

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Corzhens, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

We recently had a short vacation to Bangkok to sample their food and clothing items. This is my second time there so I already have an idea of where to go and when to buy. On the first day, we had a festival of food particularly fruits which have the best quality. In photo are the brown tamarind, the red macopa, the yellow duku, the yellow-orange maprang which is like a small mango that is very sweet. IMG_0496 bangkok fruits.JPG

On the second day, we shopped for clothing items which are the cheapest but with good quality. In photo below is the flea market in the street that is open every morning. Those women are not mannequins. IMG_0499 street boutique.JPG
    But we also went to places, of course, to enjoy the sights like the elephant show and elephant ride. Not to forget, we went to 3 temples for some religious trip and pictorials. There are so many things to do in Bangkok aside from shopping and touring. Would you believe that we sampled the cooked insects sold by a street vendor? For a stranger, Bangkok is a real strange place that you will surely enjoy. It was a good 4-day vacation that is worth the cost.

Admin and amelia88 like this.
  2. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Those fruits look super interesting - I've never seen them here before!

That's one thing I look forward to most when I am traveling - trying new things! The maprang sounds good. I love mango, so I think I would really enjoy those.

What's the temperature like in Bangkok at this time of the year? Do they have a rainy season? I know in Japan right now it's rainy season so I was curious about Thailand!

3. GraceB

GraceB New Member

Yes, because they're absolutely delicious and one of the highlights of all my trips! I'm a bit saddened for you supporting the elephant shows though.

But I agree, Bangkok is something that everyone should see at least once, but there is so much more to Thailand than that, and personally I can't really stand staying in Bangkok for more than a day or two at a time. I mean, after all it is massive, dirty, expensive and full of shady characters especially at night time.

4. maxen57

maxen57 Member

The stalls remind me of Divisoria. We often go there during the holidays to buy gifts and decor. Anyway, right now I'm beginning to go hungry for the tamarind and red macopa. The fruits look so good and looks like there are a few other kinds that don't grow here in the Philippines.

5. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

Thailand is in the torrid zone like the Philippines with only 2 seasons - the dry and the wet season. We were there in March and it was sizzling hot. In the theme park, there were vendors selling cold drinks with ice cubes to give a bottles a semblance of coldness. But we were curious with the guy who was seling towelettes that are covered with ice. At first, we thought it was a snack or something until we saw one buyer who snapped the plastic and unfolded the white towelette to wipe his face with. You can guess that we also bought towelettes for 50 cents each. We brought home those towelettes for souvenirs.

You would definitely love the Maprang because it is not so juicy as the mango and a bit sour. In Singapore, it is called Honey Kundang.

amelia88 likes this.
  6. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I'll have to see if they have it in Singapore since I'm going there tomorrow!

Love the idea of the iced towels - that's genius! And for the price you can't go wrong!

Corzhens likes this.