1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

La Or San Francisco?

Discussion in 'North America' started by Norjak71, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Norjak71

Norjak71 New Member

Really thinking of expanding my summer from vaction from NYC and then going to the west coast. I'm thinking of doing a whole tour of baseball ballparks and hitting up the cities afterwards. Which would you personally rather go to though, LA or San Francisco. Both cities seem to have vibrant lifestyles but I haven't been to LA personally and I don't know if its just my opinion but LA seems more dangerous. Can anyone shed some light on this and tell me which you would prefer?

2. Valerie

Valerie Active Member

Personally, I'd choose San Francisco over L.A. Aside from the danger factor, which yeah, Los Angeles is waaaaaay more treacherous than San Fran, there's also the differences in culture that you mentioned. To me, San Francisco is more my style--eccentric and upbeat. There's dozens of natural parks to see, Alcatraz, great seafood, art, clubs, dance troupes... Whatever your interest, San Francisco seems to have an overabundance of amusements. On the other hand, Los Angeles has Rodeo drive, Venice beach, Hollywood, LACMA, and it's own share of expensive art and fashion. I'd say the tipping point for me is the safety factor. However, bad stuff can happen anytime, anywhere.

3. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Active Member

Flip a coin. :p
    SF seems a bit more... unique to me, then again I have never been to either one of them so this is more of a feeling rather than a fact.
    They are pretty close, especially since you are planning on driving across the country! Maybe a day in each wouldn't be far fetched?

4. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I'm from suburban LA, and the first time I went to San Francisco I was a little naive and stayed in the cheapest accommodation I could find, in the area of town called the Tenderloin. My advice would be if you go to SF, don't stay there - it honestly jaded my whole perception of SF and I think I would love the city a whole lot more if I could go back and re-do my trip staying someplace nicer!

5. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

I haven't been to the US yet but my husband had been in both LA and Frisco. He would prefer San Francisco for a tourist because of the following...
    1. the sight of the trams and cable car
    2. the island Alcatraz in San Francisco Bay which used to be a maximum security prison
    3. excellent dining in the Fisherman's Wharf
    4. check Lombard street, the crookedest road
    and there are many more sights to see that I cannot add to the list because I simply don't remember. But for sure, you will enjoy San Francisco more than LA.

6. maxen57

maxen57 Member

I have distant relatives living in both states and I've been hearing a lot of good things and bad things. One thing is for sure, there's a modest Filipino community in both and I would be able to get pointers from them on the best places to stay, where to eat, where to get your usual entertainment. There are some laws that you also have to check out first because laws vary per state. One of the things we are careful of is not to be the cause of anything that will make Americans think ill of them.

7. I think it depends on what you want to see. San Fransisco has the Golden Gate Brige, Alcatraz, trams and cable cards, and some great food. But it's expensive and parking is a nightmare. San Fransisco can be as dangerous as L.A. if you are in the wrong area and it's expensive. L.A. is full of museums, art galleries, clubs, shopping, Disneyland, Santa Monica pier, Venice Beach Boardwalk, Universal Studios Hollywood, and you're just a couple of hours from Fashion Island in Newport Beach and Laguna Beach. I'm a bit biased though because I know L.A. better than San Fransisco.

8. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

We have plans of going to the US for a tour but maybe 3 to 5 years from now (for we have to scrimp and save for the budget). California is my target and to settle the issue between Frisco and LA, we probably have to go to those 2 places. I have been to Disneyland in Hongkong for so many times so maybe I would take a rain check with the Anaheim Disneyland. With the Universal Studios, I have been there several times as well in Singapore so again I would take a pass. And it looks like San Francisco has more to offer especially the big crabs in the Fisherman's Wharf.

9. Miya

Miya Active Member

I've lived in San Francisco and I've been to LA a few times. It's all down to personal preference. If you ask me, I would rather live in LA because I enjoy the atmosphere and lifestyle there. For me, San Francisco is a tourist spot and no matter where you go, it'll be a tourist spot. Both cities have a lot of good sightseeing spots so it's hard to compare which one is better. You'll have to do some research to see which spots interest you more.

As for danger... I wouldn't say one is more dangerous than the other. San Francisco can be pretty dangerous too, depending on where you go.

The Disneyland in Hong Kong doesn't even compare to the one in LA so I definitely wouldn't skip it. Plus I would recommend going to California Adventure which isn't available in HK.

Corzhens likes this.