1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Luxembourg

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Future_Martian, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Future_Martian

Future_Martian New Member

This small country have a small rivalry with Qatar and that is the slot of the number one richest nation in the planet. I wanted to visit this small country for one reason, I am very curious why a country that is not super popular and well known get this rich. It is a nation with zero poverty rate. It looks like a safe place to live as well because it has a low crime rate and this country have no enemies. The only negative I can think off about this country is the fact they have a high cost of living. This is a country where everyone is rich though. I know it is not seen as a tourist destination but based on the videos about it, it looks gorgeous.

2. vinaya

vinaya Member

I have heard about Luxembourg being the richest country on earth and sometime losing the spot to Quatar. I am also surprised how could a small landlocked country get so rich. Since it is rich country, I can assume the cost of living is high, thus not a favorite tourist destination. Thus the country may not be earning from tourism which is the main source of income in many European countries. What is the main source of revenue for Luxembourg?

3. planetX

planetX Member

There are a lot of factors that contribute to its richness. A Luxembourg citizen makes double the average American salary. The country enjoys high level of education and abundant in specialized workers. Moreover, the Government is rich as they don't have to spend much on public roads and other infrastructure being a small country. They also do not spend much of defense and military.

The people are highly educated and this paves the way for a large number of successful private organizations which also adds up to the nation's overall wealth.

4. Rubie

Rubie Member

Since Luxembourg is economically stable and has small population unlike other countries, there's no possibility that they're considered to be rich country. There's not much for them to spend for, hence they gain profitable income. Their population growth as of last listed on October 2012, falls only to 524,853.

That is why as @planetX has enumerated, they will probably gain the luxurious way of living.

5. Future_Martian

Future_Martian New Member

I think the most famous contribution of this country is the song "My love is blue" but most people think its a French song because it is sang in French. They do have their own Language which is called Luxembourgish. They also speak German aside from French. One of their main Industries banking. Many Europeans go there deposit money on their banks. Their Homeless people are usually immigrants as most of their local residents are rich.

Oh this is their only song that charted internationally:

After that song, they never had any song that made it big around the world.

6. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Active Member

I ended up in Luxembourg pretty much by accident. We were just going around Europe and my friend decided that Luxembourg sounds good so he just got us train tickers on a whim. It was definitely one of the more intriguing places we visited that time, certainly 100% worth it. Lot's of amazing old ruins all over the place, it's really beautiful. Definitely recommended, though it's not a huge place so I don't know how it would be for a longer trip. (we just stayed for about 24h)

7. Benoit W

Benoit W New Member

Luxеmbоurg is bеst visitеd in summеr оr wintеr, try аnd аvоid spring аnd аutumn аs thе wеаthеr tеnds tо bе оvеrсаst аnd drizzly. In summеr thе tоwn оffеrs а livеly buzz withоut turning intо а tоurist trаp whilе in wintеr thе inhаbitаnts аmusе thеmsеlvеs by visiting Сhristmаs mаrkеts аnd drinking Gluhwеin, а dеliсасy fоund in mоst Gеrmаn spеаking соuntriеs. Hаving а Сhristmаs mаrkеt is nоt а trаditiоn whiсh is vеry prеvаlеnt in Еnglish-spеаking соuntriеs but whiсh mаny trаvеllеrs find vеry еnjоyаblе. In summеrtimе thе tоwn оffеrs mаny сulturаl асtivitiеs suсh аs аrt аnd dаnсе еxhibitiоns, winе tаsting аnd (frее) соnсеrts. Bе surе tо сhесk оut thе Grаnd-Duсаl Pаlасе whiсh mаy nоt bе аs grаnd аs its соuntеrpаrt Lоndоn but is wаy mоrе ассеssiblе.