1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mexico safety

Discussion in 'South America' started by pwarbi, Sep 29, 2015.

1. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

Mexico is becoming more and more popular as a tourist destination, but I'd like to ask just how safe is it for tourists?

I've not been myself, but I know people who have and they say that when they go they are told to stay within the complex or resort, don't go into the main country, and if they do to make sure they are with a guide as security.

That to me doesn't sound all that safe and I was wondering if anybody else on here had any similar experiences?

2. planetX

planetX Member

A few months back I read in the local news papers that there is high risk of traveling to certain places in Mexico due to the presence of organized criminal groups. They are becoming a real threat to the safety and security of the visitors there. Mostly US citizens have been the victims of crimes like kidnapping, carjacking and robbery. But everybody should exercise caution. May be that is the reason why they have been advised to stay within the complex.

There have been instances of gun battles between rival criminal groups and with Mexican authorities.

3. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

Like I said, I know that tourists are encouraged to stay within the resort which is guarded but obviously they can't stop people from venturing further.

I guess it's up to the individual if they want to take that risk or not, but with Mexico being a popular tourist destination, I'm guessing that if people do stay in the resort they're as safe as they can be.

4. genkiWORld

genkiWORld New Member

Whenever visiting a country one is not familiar with, especially for the first time, using some form of safety and caution always is best. Mexico is relatively safe, as long as people know what to do, where not to go and not mix with the wrong crowds. The tourist areas are tourist areas for a reason, but even there tourists have to be careful because crime is at the turn of the corner.

When visiting Mexico, tourists should not go around flaunting money, jewelry, or their cell phones all the time. They should not venture into the darker and bad reputation parts of the city and instantly ask at the hotel what places are recommended and which to stay away from.
    Tourists should never wonder alone, always in a group and if venturing to site see, always take a tourist guide.

Tourists should also try blending with the locals and not advertise they are tourists, for there is always someone willing to take advantage of them.

Mexico is safe enough, if one is careful and doesn’t go looking for trouble.

5. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Active Member

You will be safe when staying in touristic areas. Long story short: the crime in Mexico is mostly organized and everyone knows that if the tourists leave then so does all the money tourists bring into the country. And that is bad for everyone. But as the others have said, don't go running around the less touristic areas on your own.

6. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

My sister stayed there for several weeks and said she never felt threatened once - in fact she says it's one of her favorite travel destinations. Also, I met a Mexican friend when I was backpacking once, and I actually asked him this very question, since I had heard mixed things about safety there. He said that a lot of it is just blown out of proportion - you know how the media can be (they run with the bad stories and tend to really highlight those).

7. Novelangel

Novelangel Member

I think the scariest thing going on in Mexico are the drug cartels and they don't really care who gets caught in the crossfire. When they want to kill someone, they are quite sincere about it, so that is one good reason to follow instructions and don't go anywhere without an experienced guide. I think basically, the idea here is to avoid wandering around by yourself out in the wilderness, taking pictures of the native wildlife, just in case one of them wants to bag you as a trophy.

8. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

I heard that it is not the safest country out there but everywhere you have problematic areas and less problematic ones. I think that the issue here is the problematic area is off the charts. I would like to visit South America but in general terms it is more ungenerous than Europe. Another thing is drug lords and cartels that are stronger and stronger every day or at least we hear that in some news.

9. Valerie

Valerie Active Member

Every time I've been to Mexico, I've felt relatively safe. Then again, as others have mentioned, the places that attract crowds tend to have the highest levels of security. It's when you go out in the real neighborhoods that safety becomes an issue. Not only are you at the risk of being victimized by gangs, but there are people who pose as police officers than rob you.

That said, it can happen anywhere, at any time. Mexico's not safe, but it's not Venezuela, which is ranked 2nd highest, I believe, in the world for homicide rates.

10. GenevB

GenevB New Member

Excuse me, but Mexico is geographically located in North America continent, so this topic should've been posted there. Also, as far as I've been told by person who went to Mexico and still go there on vacation on a regular basis, there are indeed many drug cartels and strange people, but for most of the time they do not want to have anything to do with tourists, because they know that if tourists would stop visiting their country that would be a big hit for the local economy and the underground economy too.

11. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

My husband's cousins were here last year for a trip to Boracay, that famous island beach resort. They live in Covina (LA area) and they sometimes go to Mexico. When I mentioned the risk with the drug lords, they gave me a surprised look. The tourist spots in Mexico are still teeming with tourists and the violence that we read in the papers are confined to the locals particularly those involved in drugs. The country is still safe and sound just like before. And my husband's cousins may be in Mexico this summer.

12. Aimee P

Aimee P New Member

I have wanted to go to Mexico for a long time but have heard that kidnapping is common and that scares me too bad to even consider going. I have a cousin who is an over the road truck driver and he had to go to Loredo, Texas with loads a lot and he said he would not have dare stepped into Mexico due to the crime that is happening there. It is very sad because I would love to see all of the beautiful sites and learn more about the culture.

13. I think any country has the potential to be dangerous. Especially if you are unfamiliar with where you're traveling, don't speak the language well, are traveling alone, or if you're a woman. Parts of Mexico are fine but of course you can't just relax and you need to be vigilant.

14. Francis

Francis New Member

As long as you keep yourself off the drug business then you can enjoy your vacation in Mexico. Most killings there are usually between drug cartels who want to control the drug business. You also need to read news about what's happening around before you can travel. You can also check twitter on what's trending locally.