1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Missing Luggage

Discussion in 'Africa' started by Corzhens, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

I hope this wouldn't happen to us. One friend who was coming home from a European trip had a missing luggage. It took a week before it was traced to be in the stopover airport in Hongkong. The airline had acknowledged the mistake and took responsibility. As a consolation, the airline had gifted my friend a new traveling bag. But I don't think that traveling bag is worth the ordeal of looking for a missing luggage in the airport where in the first place it was not in the Philippine airport of destination.

2. Miya

Miya Active Member

Yeah, I don't think getting a new bag is worth the trouble of tracking a missing bag. But at the very least, the airline is taking responsibility and offering some sort of consolation. Some airlines don't offer anything but an apology.

I've never had a missing luggage but one time when I was traveling, my friend's bag got damaged. Everything flew out of her bag, including some homework her daughter brought over to do. I can't remember what the airlines did in the end, but some of her stuff was damaged and missing. I know for sure that her daughter couldn't find all the pages to her homework and that really can't be compensated.

3. Ava

Ava Member

Whenever I check in a bag. mentally I know that it could get lost but I put lots of information inside so if it is lost then I can be found. I used to work in an airport and the baggage handlers were friends of mine, but they were naughty and treated the bags badly at times. They told me if it says fragile or is a designer bag, they throw it around more.

It's very hard to stop that mentality. The lesson is use designer luggage as carry on, and use tough and plain colored luggage for checked in luggage. Those are less likely to go missing. Naturally if you check in late, that also runs a risk of it getting lost or left behind.