1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mongolia: A Vast Ranch

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Corzhens, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

Is there anybody here who has been to Mongolia? This is in the bucket list of my husband, another of his National Geographic interest. He wants to experience being inside the yurt (the Mongolian tent) and to taste the Mongolian food as well. Maybe if plans materialize and he gets to know a Mongolian, I wouldn't go with him because that place seems to be a vast ranch with no development nor modernity.

2. Coco

Coco Active Member

I've never been to Mongolia as well.:( Sadly, I don't think I have enough guts yet to travel to it. From what I've read, it's a land of extremes where you have vast landscapes but no infrastructures. If you go outside its city, it would be rare to see cars, houses or just any establishment at all. But maybe that's why a lot of backpackers love travelling to Mongolia, it certainly isn't for the faint-hearted person.

I would also love to explore different places in Mongolia, once I get the chance to do so. Here are my top five destinations in Mongolia, if ever I get to go there:
    • Baga Gazryn Chuluu Rock Formations. Basically, this is a pilgrimage location for locals because it is said that Gengis Khan camped here. Here's a picture of the rock formations:
    46ea3ac45fb51aa0dd55879354fbe705.

Quite stunning, isn't it?​
    • Yolin Am in the Gobi Desert. Originally, the purpose of Yolin Am is to conserve bird life in the desert. But as time passed by, it has become a tourist destination because of the way it allows ice to stay in the canyons even if it's already summer. Here's a picture of the Yolin Am:
    501f2111b95d5978ceb02c53ca513cf5-yolyn-am.
    • Ongii Monastery. During the war, almost all monasteries in Mongolia were destroyed. The Ongii Monastery is one of them, although it's still great to visit the place for the ruins. Here's a picture of it:
    IMG_0434-640x4271.
    These are just a few of the places I would love to visit in Mongolia. I have read that it's best to travel with a small group so in case of emergencies, you have some people to help you. It's also a must to explore the areas beyond the city to get a glimpse of what it's really like to live in Mongolia.