1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Most Expensive Cities in Europe

Discussion in 'Europe' started by vinaya, Oct 1, 2015.

1. vinaya

vinaya Member

I have read somewhere that London is the most expensive city in the Europe and Paris is also included on the top five list. Is this true? What are the top five most expensive cities in Europe?

2. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

It wouldn't come as a surprise to me to find out that London is listed as the most expensive city, as I live in England and even I can see the prices difference from where I live, and London is far more expensive.

I also found Paris, Milan and Madrid to be quite expensive also. Not for everything but as a tourist I think you have to expect to pay more than usual.

3. vinaya

vinaya Member

They say food and lodging is very expensive in London. Is this because UK does not produce much food, and even so in England because of climatic condition which is not favorable for food crop? Lodging cost may be high in London because land is scarce. Paris may be expensive because of this art and architecture value, and Milan may be expensive because of Fashion industry.

4. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

For a person living in the north west of England like myself, London is an expensive city for even me to visit. Prices of everything are more expensive but at the same time, the wages are a lot more as well, so if you work there then the cost of living works out average.

For a tourist I think most cities are expensive to visit if you don't live in a city yourself. If you live in Paris, and visit Milan for example, the prices won't seem much different.

5. DangerSuit

DangerSuit New Member

London is definitely expensive. I live and work in London and it often drives me to despair to see how much shops might charge for a bottle of water, but a bit of preparation can go a long way in saving money.

As it is one of the most populous and popular cities in the world, it has a lot of systems in place to help locals save money, which can be exploited by visitors as well.

• Oyster cards save on travel - these are prepaid cards that work on all transport in London, using one saves 1/3 on travel fare.
    • Download apps like VoucherCloud orGroupOn before arriving and scour them before you arrive to find great deals on restaurants, cafes and activities. I'd say 90% of all vouchers and GroupOns apply to London.
    • Know where to go for certain things. Want a great view of the City from up high? Tour guides and sponsored magazines will tell you to go up the Shard or on the London Eye, but each is £30. Go to the top of 20 Fenchurch Street instead. It's free, and there's a bar and a botanical garden at the top! This sort of know-how is key, and can be found through forums about London and in the London Metro, the free paper.
    • London-based Twitter. @SkintLondon find cheap deals on food and events every day, follow it, use the deals.
    These are just a few of the ways you can make London an affordable holiday destination.

pwarbi likes this.
  6. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

I think that most cities will have the little tricks that people need to be aware of before they go, and that will be invaluable when it comes to saving money.

While this won't be what a lot of people want, I know a few that have visited London but instead of experiencing the posh pubs, clubs and wine bars, they've purposely gone to the less classy places shall we call them!

The old east end pubs that are still full of history and characters, but the prices are a bit more reasonable. The blind beggar pub being just one of them.

7. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

It should be Oslo on number one. I've read some unbelievable numbers about Norwegian capital.
    "A new study by TripAdvisor has named the Norwegian capital as the world's costliest city for holidaymakers. A night out in the city, including one night at a four-star hotel, a short taxi ride and cocktails and dinner for two, was found to cost £381.28." Source: .telegraph.co.uk

Some of the similar cites are Zurich, Bern, Geneva, London and Moscow.

8. DangerSuit

DangerSuit New Member

That doesn't sound too dissimilar from London prices to be honest. Although I would say the price of a 4-star hotel can fluctuate wildly depending on the location of the hotel and the optional extras you get. I think London may play more fast and loose with the idea of 4-star than most places - it can go from very basic to essentially 5-star and anything in between

9. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

With a lot of cities though you'll often find that you can cut the costs if you really want to, but if your on holiday sometimes it's nice to splash the cash a little.

If you know the destination you're going to us expensive, save up a little more money if possible and treat yourself. While I know that nobody likes paying more than they should, but if it's a one off and will make your holiday a bit more special, then I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

10. Quazi

Quazi Member

London, Paris, Rome and Bacelona are similar with being crazy with the prices.
    If you're after food, there are cheaper markets dotted about in all of the cities, but if you plan to eat out, expect to pay an arm and a leg.

For entertainment, it's all expensive unless you're into walking and seeing the sites.

Accomodation is pricey unless you go for cheaper chain short stay hotels (in London, this would be Premier in or Travel lodge) or if you find a small B&B, they always tend to be cheaper

11. Qoelet

Qoelet New Member

Do you mean the EU? Because Scandinavia is crazy expensive.

I've been to London, Paris, Rome etc, but Oslo (and Norway in general) is eye-wateringly expensive. Especially for alcohol. You know those 1ltr bottles of that no-brand, no name vodka you can get from Tescos for about £10? Yeah, they're start from about £40 in Oslo. Bottles of beer start from around £8-9.

Not that a city should be judged on its alcohol prices, but it's a good barometer. Of course, everything else is expensive and relative to the alcohol prices.

12. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

In a lot of cities though, especially the ones that have a large tourism element, they are more expensive as they are looking to cash in on that market.

In regards to London though, in the popular bars you can pay £6 for a pint of beer and where I live in Manchester it's around £2.50 so that's a huge difference and we're in the same country.

13. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

From what I have read and from the stories of people who have been to Europe, Paris is the most expensive followed by London. I am not really well versed with Europe but I am trying to learn the culture and, of course, the currency and cost of living. Honestly, I am saving some money because I want to go to Europe but not on a packaged tour. I also don't prefer the pilgrimage tour because it is very expensive. What's in my mind is a cheap hotel and I would buy our own plane tickets on a discounted promo. But that may be 2 or 3 years from now. And my first target is London.

pwarbi likes this.
  14. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

If you are planning on going to an expensive city, then that's the best way to do it, by choosing your flights and hotel separately. While some of the package holiday a look good value, more often than not by booking separately you can still save money.

15. Coco

Coco Active Member

I researched and apparently, these are the top five most expensive cities in Europe for travellers:
    • Milan, for about $152 per night. That is only for a hotel room and you need to add in expenses for transportation and food as well.
    • Stockholm in Sweden, for about $150 per night for a hotel room. Alcohol and food cost super expensive here as well.
    • Munich in Germany, for about $143 per night for a hotel room.
    • Amsterdam in Netherlands, for about $134 per night for a hotel room. Although this city is crazy expensive to travel to, it's still worth it as it's dubbed as one of best cities to live in the world.
    • Zurich in Switzerland, for about $131 per night for a hotel room.
    Other lists has listed the most expensive places to live in by city. And such lists has Switzerland, UK, Norway and Denmark in the top ten, particularly Zurich, London, Oslo and Copenhagen.

I would say that choosing to stay in a more affordable hotel and choosing where to eat are good options when travelling on a budget. We usually research first before we go on a certain place. This way, we know where to go, the directions and where to eat, saving us time and money.

16. Phileas80

Phileas80 Member

I think you can bunch expensive cities together by what makes them so expensive, for example you have commercial centres like London, Zurich and Munich.
    Cities boosted by oil money such as Oslo and Aberdeen.
    Finally you have tourist hot spots like Barcelona, Paris and Rome.

The value in these places for the average tourist really depends on the individual.

17. adamgilcristt

adamgilcristt New Member

Most expensive cities in Europe are:

1. Geneva, Switzerland

2. Reykjavik, Iceland

3. Zurich, Switzerland

4. London, United Kingdom

5. Oslo, Norway