1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Mexico

Discussion in 'North America' started by Quazi, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Quazi

Quazi Member

Visiting family in McKinley County, New Mexico.
    They're very much into the treking and outdoor pursuits.

Anything I should make sure I don't miss while there? (Obviously checking out some of the Breaking Bad locations).

2. Valerie

Valerie Active Member

As Bugs Bunny says, "I knew I should've taken that left at Albuquerque!" Certainly plenty to do there.

Anyway, there's the Sandia Peak Trekway that you can ride to see amazing desert from on-high. Then there's Carisbad Caverns, Loretto Chapel,
    and a plethora of Aztec ruins to see. Depending on where you go in New Mexico, you should look for the Botanical gardens and Museums too.
    Seems like there's a lot to do!

pwarbi likes this.
  3. Quazi

Quazi Member

My aunt has said alot of the ruins, eager to show off the dwellings carved out of the rock faces.

Never thought of New Mexico having botanical gardens! But then my knowledge of there is either from TV or films :p

Thank you for the advice

4. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

While New Mexico is starting to become more and more popular as a tourist destination, I still think there's will be a lot to see there that's as of yet still unspoiled.

When people mention that part of the world, I think the Aztec ruins are going to be what instantly spring to mind, and you can't go to New Mexico with out at least checking them out.

5. Quazi

Quazi Member

Apparently I need to practice my golf swing as a group of their neighbours have decided to create a huge, rough golf course (well, made a place to tee off and a hole to putt into :p ).
    Never know, the rough golfing could be the next big thing on New Mexico's map worth visiting :p

Thank you for the replies :)

pwarbi likes this.
  6. Lynk

Lynk Member

Bring your appetite, the food in New Mexico is some of the best I've tasted anywhere in the world! I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.

The weather can be a lot colder than I was expecting for a state so far south, so keep that in mind as you are packing. The country side is quite varied from desert areas to mountain and lake areas. It's really a beautiful place! If you can make a stop at either the White Sands National Monument or Taos Pueblo, I highly recommend it, both amazing, beautiful, and peaceful places.

7. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

It looks like an exciting trip you are having to New Mexico. I have zero knowledge of the place so it is interesting for me to read the comments in this thread. For the cold weather, I guess that's a given in any place in America. And it looks like a heritage trip is in the offing with that Taos Pueblo which I am guessing to be a traditional village of the olden tribes. And I also imagine that the food is like that of Mexicans since the name implies that the state is related to Mexico. Arriba, arriba.