1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Travel Opportunities...

Discussion in 'North America' started by Norjak71, May 8, 2016.

1. Norjak71

Norjak71 New Member

Looking for new travel opportunities and not bound by any one side of the map. Really want to take a vacation this winter but I feel like I've seen it all. I know what a ridiculous claim that must sound like but I've been to every state minus Hawaii and that's not on my list just yet -- I'm struggling to think of new ideas. Anyone know any cool spots that you go to that might be not as well known?

2. Valerie

Valerie Active Member

Have you considered going abroad? I mean, if North America is beginning to feel like a small world after all then it might be time to, erm, broaden your horizons. (I'm full of it today, my apologies. Too much sugar.)
    But on a serious note, going abroad is highly doable if you know how you want to go about it.

If going abroad is not viable, have you considered Mexico? Belize? The Central Americas? Still technically abroad, I know, but they are closer than Europe or Asia.
    Have you seen New Orleans? The west coast of Florida? What about going into Canada or Alaska? I know you said winter vacation, but sometimes going away from warmer weather opens up different opportunities, like a ski/snowboarding trip. Other places that might interest you might be the States around the Great Lakes and North Dakota. Have you seen the area along the Susquehanna river? Central Pennsylvania is quite stunning during winter, and there are a bunch of trails, tours and caverns to scope out.

3. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Active Member

Abroad would definitely be my suggestion too. Even just Canada if you don't want to go further.
    If you feel like staying in the USA then pick random smaller towns, make a road trip though them or something. Google attractions that are somehow related to your own interest and just go there, stop in a few random cities on the way etc. I'm sure you'll find new and interesting things.

4. Lynk

Lynk Member

Wow that's pretty awesome that you've been to all those states! Surely there must be something you haven't had time to visit in the US that interests you?

Anyway, if I were in your place, I'd design a trip around something fun, like visiting as many national parks as I could, or going to places on Diners, Drive-ins & Dives (I always look for those places when I travel). Alternatively, perhaps there's an event you'd like to see? For me, I've always wanted to see the hot air balloon festival in Albuquerque or the sand castle competition on South Padre Island.

5. maxen57

maxen57 Member

Maybe you just need a new reason to travel to revisit states that offer what your looking for and gain new perspective and experiences. How about traveling as a foodie or a sports fan? Perhaps someone as a historian or an urban explorer? You might be able to discover hidden places not on the map. Tweak you imagination a little bit see what difference can it make.

6. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

Like what the others said, why not try going abroad for a change? May I present the Philippines not as a tourist spot but a vacation place. There is Baguio City, the cool vacation place atop the mountains. It is the vegetable bowl and the fruit bowl so it is tops with the food. And the plus factor is its proximity to Manila which is just 5 to 6 hours drive. With the accommodations, there are hotels from cheap to expensive and there are also lots of inn and even transient homes like Airbnb. Even people from Metro Manila flock to Baguio City during vacation season which makes it the favorite vacation place.

7. Novelangel

Novelangel Member

Why not take a sailing trip around the United States? You would definitely see the country from a different perspective. I'm not talking just cruising around the outer shorelines, either. I'm talking paddle-boats up the rivers in the interior, visiting little back-water burgs and less touristy destinations along the way. Pick any state to start in, even your own and take a river boat tour. You will see things that you can't see from roads and streets, especially in some of the older parts of towns and cities. River banks can be very picturesque as well, if you're into nature photography.