1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ngong Ping In Hongkong

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Corzhens, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

Ngong Ping is in Lantau Island which is at the side of Hong Kong International Airport which is standing on reclaimed land. The main attraction in Ngong Ping is the Big Buddha that is on top of the mountain. It is a long climb before you can reach the foot of the Buddha. There is also the Buddhist temple which houses the monks. Ngong Ping looks like a paradise when there are no people. However, it is always crowded because if is one big attraction to tourists.

What's amusing in Ngong Ping is the transportation which is the cable car that traverses the sea and mountainsides for a ride of 7 kilometers.

2. Miya

Miya Active Member

Despite being borned in HK and living there for a few years, I've never visited this Big Buddha. I had the chance last year because my cousin offered to take me to see it, but I rejected it to go to the Food Fair XD

Would you say that this is worth a visit? I live in Japan and we have a Great Buddha here in Nara. I wonder how the one in HK compares.

3. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I went there on a trip to Hong Kong a couple of years back - and I thought it was beautiful! It was really rainy the day that I went there, but I actually think that made the experience all the more fun -- it wasn't all that busy, as I think the rain kept away some of the crowds, and it was just great for taking pictures with the gloomy clouds!

4. Seven kilometers? That's a very long ride! So how long did the ride take? I am sure the view must have been very interesting. I wonder if Hongkong might try to copy one of the latest fads in mainland China, which is glass-bottomed bridges. A seven-kilometer bridge spanning the same distance of the cable car would be breathtaking, I am sure.

5. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

I have friends who work in Hongkong and they said there is a bus from the city that travels to Ngong Ping - all along, I thought it was only the cable car for transportation. That 7 kilometers of cable car ride takes maybe 15 minutes or so. Yeah, it's really a long ride especially when the cable car stops. That happened on our second trip there when we brought along 2 children of my sister. The cable car would stop for maybe a minute or 2 and it did for several times. And what's below us was the part of the sea, huh. It was a really scary ride. Good thing that the ride back home was smooth.

6. Stopped? Was that on purpose? Or was there something wrong with the cable? I can imagine how scary that can be. Even when I am in a lift and the lift stops between floors, I become worried. This has happened once in a while in the lift in my apartment building. Sometimes it makes strange noises like as if the cable has not been oiled.

7. Miya

Miya Active Member

Sometimes cable cars are stopped on purpose so passengers can enjoy the view.

8. If the cable cars are stopped on purpose to let the passengers enjoy the view, then the passengers should be informed beforehand. Imagine dangling a few hundred meters over a chasm and the cable car stops without any warning. That must be rather disturbing, to say the least.

9. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

@Aree Wongwanlee and @Miya, the cable car at that time seemed to have a technical problem that it stopped for a while so many times. And since the cable car we were in was dangling over the waters of the Hongkong inlet, you can imagine our fear. It's a good thing that we have cameras at least we were not that scared because my husband is taking a video of our reaction, huh. We have taken that cable car several times already so we are used to the smooth ride and that was the first time it happened.

10. Miya

Miya Active Member

In such cases, they will have a sign before you get on indicating that the cars will stop.

11. That's really scary then. So did you find out what actually happened to make the cable car make those unscheduled stops? It's interesting that your having cameras allayed some of your fears. So that videotaping kind of makes you less focussed on the problem at hand, right?

Corzhens likes this.
  12. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

The attendant in the terminal said that it sometimes happens that mechanical problems cause the cable car to stop. But no worries because it is safe. The kids with us were kind of worried with the thought that the cable car may not move anymore so how could we get off? The height of the cable car is maybe 50 to 100 meters from the ground. To be honest, I was already shaking and my niece was on the verge of tears during the last unscheduled stop that took maybe more than 5 minutes. And all because the wind was pushing the cable car to sway.

13. I suppose the attendant has to say that. What else could he have said? That there was something critically wrong with the cable car? That would have started a real panic, wouldn't it? I am not sure how it could be done, but maybe a word to some authorities might get some action which could prevent a fatal accident in the future.

Corzhens likes this.