1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

North Or South Island?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by amelia88, Apr 25, 2016.

1. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

New Zealand is one of the most beautiful countries I've ever traveled to.

If you're thinking about going there, do you know if you would choose the North Island or the South Island to visit? Any particular reason for choosing one over the other?

I've visited both islands, but I would say the South Island is probably my favorite. It's just more untouched, I guess - and of course there's the amazing Milford Sound, adventurous Queenstown, and so forth. I even got to see a glacier there!

The North Island is amazing too (especially if you're a Lord of the Rings fan) but I just thought the south was more picturesque.

2. Coco

Coco Active Member

Well, for me, it's definitely hard to choose between the two. Since I love beaches, I'd have to choose the North Island. If you particularly like the following, then I'd recommend the North Island for you as well:
    • Warmer weather and swimming. The weather in the North Island is slightly warmer than that of the South which makes it perfect for swimming. Beaches are never too far away from any city as well so you won't have a problem finding the perfect beach destination.
    • Getting to know the locals. The North Island has a larger population than the South Island. The Maori population resides in the Northern part as well. It's easy to see the cultures and traditions of the people when you're always with them.
    • Geothermal places. If you enjoy seeing geysers, hot pools and lakes, then the North is for you. The Northern part of the country is formed by the collision of two tectonic plates and this results to geothermal activities and events.
    However, there are also some great things about the South Island. To be honest, if you have the time, I recommend seeing both islands to fully understand and get to know New Zealand. Here they are:
    • Mountains. The Southern Alps is breathtaking. Plus, if you're an adventure seeker, you can try skiing or even rafting on the rivers that are below the mountains.
    • Fiordland. These are deep valleys carved by rivers and glaciers. It's a scenic view one must see at least once in his life.
    • Just enjoying the sceneries. Unlike the Northern part of the country, the Southern Islands are less inhabited but with great scenic views. You can just bask in the amazing sceneries and if this is something you love doing, then the Southern part of the country is the best for you.
    Like I said, both parts have their own "specialties." So if you can, visit them both and have the time of your life!

3. maxen57

maxen57 Member

I'll probably spend a few weeks here to be able to enjoy what both north and south can offer. Depending on the activities you're looking forward to, that would also help one decide where best to pick and stay. More than anything, I would love to take advantage of nature trips to bask in the landscapes and seascape of the country.

4. sararas

sararas Member

I've never been to New Zealand. So, either the North Island or South Island will definitely work for me, haha! But since there was a mention of Lord of the Rings, then hands down that takes precedence, haha! Lord of the Rings aside, what I'm more interested to actually see is the cleanliness and how organized the country is said to be. This curiosity came when my brother and sister on their separate trip to El Nido, Palawan overheard a New Zealander left a comment during a van ride that he wanted to escape his super clean and organized country. He wanted to see a bit of chaos, outside his serene country of New Zealand. Haha, it's unfortunate he choose the Philippines for his escape. His comment on how everything is well-in-placed everything is in his country makes me curious. I wonder if I would enjoy it as I've gotten used and love the chaos of my country.