1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Olympics! Brazil 2016

Discussion in 'South America' started by Quazi, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Quazi

Quazi Member

Who's excited? :D
    Whos' going?

Any advice for being visiting for the Olympics?

One piece of advice I was told by a Brazilian photographer was that you need to carry 2 phones.
    One cheap one and one being your real one.
    Apparently getting mugged is a risk, so you want to hand over your cheap phone.
    But I'm sure this isn't the norm and I hope they do a great job of hosting it later this year :D

maxen57 likes this.
  2. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I had wanted to go for a while, but all I hear everyone saying now is how they're freaking out over the Zika virus!

I think if I go to the Olympics I'll probably wait for Tokyo in 2020. I love Japan and have already travelled there before, and have some friends that live there! So I think that just makes it easier!

3. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

I'm not fond of sports and games but my husband is. However, he is not keen on going to the Olympics because of the expense. Everything is expensive. I remember in 1988 when he is in the US, a cousin had invited him to the Olympics in South Korea. But he declined the invitation because he was forewarned of the crowd and the problem of going to the Olympics site. With the Brazil Olympics, we are content in watching the games on tv even if it is on a delayed basis. We hate crowds so it is a far-fetched idea for us to go to the Olympics.

But for a Brazil tour, I would want to see their beaches and other tourists spots. I've heard that Brazilians are cool and friendly.

4. Phileas80

Phileas80 Member

Pretty excited but as I'm based in London not as much as the last time round! I'm not planning to go as the trip is just too complicated. Trying to book a hotel and and navigate through one of the main venue cities during this time is a job in itself and not really a holiday. I'm happy to catch it on television and visit Brazil at a much less busy time or during carnival for some serious partying.

5. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

I got tickets and went to the Olympics in London, and I think its one of those bucket list things to cross off if you get the chance.

I'm also not really a big fan of athletics or any sports like that, but we really did enjoy it as its the whole atmosphere you're there for, not just the actual events.

6. Rachel

Rachel Member

No interest whatsoever in spending $000s to go to watch a bunch of sports that I don't care for. A trip to Brazil is definitely on my to do list, but I would rather spend the money doing stuff than watching sporting events. It's just not my thing at all. As I understand it ticket sales have been pretty dismal so far for the games - around 50% for the games and only 12% for the Paralympics. I don't think there is a real buzz amongst local people for this at all, sadly, but I think the current economic problems in the country are overshadowing everything, if people are struggling financially they won't be in a position to spend hundreds of dollars on non-essential items such as sporting tickets.

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  7. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

The pricing of the tickets is always a major talking point, as it is with any sporting event. You'll often find that it isn't the local people that attend, but the more international visitors.

It costs millions for a country to put an event like the Olympics on, and while it can improve the infrastructure of a country, there's some debate as to if it leaves a lasting legacy or not.

8. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Active Member

While I do enjoy watching sports, the Olympics really isn't on my list of sport events to go to. There are so many different sports involved, some of them interesting, most of them not. And they are scattered over so many different venues all over the city. Just not worth it in my opinion, especially seeing how expensive the accomodation is going to be during that time. I'd rather watch the olympics (the few sports that I'm interested in) from home.

9. I wouldn't really like to go to Brazil, spend so much money to watch sports while knowing that many people there are living in slums and are hungry. I would rather spend money on buying them food, medicines and clothing. Though, I know that many, if not all, who live in Brazil love sports so they might enjoy this.

10. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

The same was said about the world cup aswell though, and its not right that all that money is being invested in football stadiums and new hotels, when half a mile away there are people begging for food in barefeet.

The infrastructure of the country might benefit from these tournaments but sadly that will only help about 5% of the people who live there.

11. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlands New Member

I wanted to volunteer at these games, however unfortunately I wasn't successful as I have been in previous years. It is a shame, because they are fantastic to be a part of. I would agree with having a spare phone - however I would go as far as to say take two spares, both cheap, and leave any iPhones at home. This goes for all holidays, as the truth is that it just isn't worth the risk of getting mugged while you're out there!

12. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

The problem is that we could be mugged in any country in the world, not just Brazil, but I do agree that when a big event such as this takes place, the criminal element will be out in force.

Taking the necessary precautions is all that we can do I think though, and I wouldn't let fear of something happening spoil your time over there if you do go.

13. Lynk

Lynk Member

I really worry about the crime rates in Brazil. I have heard it is very dangerous to be a tourist there and there are lots of thefts and even murders. I am sure they will have more security than usual for the Olympics but I bet it will be a draw for criminals anyway. Either way, I don't think I could ever go to any Olympics because I am absolutely horrible at dealing with crowds like that!

14. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

I can't wait the games but I wouldn't dare to go there even if I had the money for it. I think it will be very hard for Brazil authorities because the petty thieves will just have a blast and tourists and visitors will have to think twice where they go out. I am not saying this is going to happen but I just mad a conclusion from all the reports I saw on television. In one moment there was a fear that all the stadiums will not be ready in time and I have no idea whether they sorted this out.

15. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

The thing is though, Brazil recently held the world cup finals, and a lot of the worries and concerns people have now regarding the forthcoming Olympics, are the same as what they had then.

I've no doubt that the authorities in Brazil will get the stadium situation sorted out, and they'll give us an Olympic games to remember, it's just after I wonder what sort of legacy it will leave, if any.

16. maxen57

maxen57 Member

In my case, I won't be bringing my main phone with me and just bring two cheap ones and a hand-written list of contacts. I'm not going to copy anything into those cheap phones just to be safe because there's a risk tha the thieves might call someone from home and tell them I've been kidnapped to be able to scam money. It could happen so better be safe than sorry. Anyway, I think Brazil for the Olympics this year is a good choice since there will be lots to do in Brazil like going to the beach and maybe even in time for Carnival? That would be sweet.

pwarbi likes this.
  17. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

Even though there's a lot of posts on this thread that are looking on the bad points if having the Olympics in Brazil, you're right to point out the good points aswell.

While crime is high in Brazil, it's also important to point out the qualities the country as got aswell, and there's no need to think the event is going to be a disaster.

18. anthoedi

anthoedi New Member

The delegations from European countries and the United States most likely will include human and technical protective equipment for their athletes . Although the resignation of chief of security of the games is a bad sign, but leaves a strong preparedness to resist terrorist threats. What do you think ?

19. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

Well, the Olympic games are over and what's left of Brazil is the Olympics venue which they say will become a white elephant (expensive structure with not much use). But I'd say that the Olympics in Rio is very successful because Filipino athletes are all praises for the games although they have some complaints on the sleeping quarters which is compact and spartan in size. But the food is wonderful and the Brazilians have their genuine hospitality that foreigners are easily at home in Rio. Those feedback from our athletes give inspiration to tourists like me to someday visit Brazil.

20. Francis

Francis New Member

Those who won medals are the happiest for now. I also hope journalists enjoyed their time covering the events. I never attended but I had time to watch how athletes competed.