1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pacific Islands

Discussion in 'Australia' started by amelia88, May 14, 2016.

1. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Have any of you visited any islands in the Pacific?

I've been to Vanuatu and New Caledonia and both were lovely. New Caledonia in particular took my breath away. It was part of a cruise that I went there for, and we stopped at the Isle of Pines and Lifou Island. Here's some pictures to show you what it's like:

lifou.

Lifou

Isle of Pines - you can see why it gets the name it does!!

The water around both places is just so crystal clear. If you're into snorkelling and exploring sea life, you'd adore it at either place.

2. Phileas80

Phileas80 Member

Yes, I've been to Fiji and I must say that it's a truly beautiful place. Some of the resorts around Nadi are just amazing scenery-wise. Not too much to do other than to get involved in some serious relaxation.

Castaway South Beach revised.

Castaway Island

Cloud9-floating-bar-in-FIJI1.

Floating Bar Cloud 9

Last edited: May 15, 2016
    amelia88 likes this.
  3. maxen57

maxen57 Member

A trip to these locations would be so surreal. Look at that torquoise water and white sandy beaches. I could stay there for weeks and just move on to another island. My honeymoon will definitely be here whe the time comes.

4. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

For our first trip in 2017, we were torn between Bali in Indonesia and Kota Kinabalu in Malaysia. I think Bali falls under the Pacific Islands with its famous beaches. But Kota Kinabalu won in the voting so we had bought a ticket for Malaysia in January of 2017. My husband had actually wanted to go to Marshall Islands but it is a reserved area by the US. And the problem is the flight, there is no direct flight from Manila. From what I understand, Marshall Islands is a true Pacific Islands like Hawaii, Polynesia and Tahiti.

5. Coco

Coco Active Member

I think Vanuatu is just stunning:

930x431_vanuatu.
    The Vanuatu archipelago consist of about 83 islands. It's in the southwest of the Pacific ocean, north of New Zealand and east of Australia. The inhabitants of this island are mostly Melanesians, although there are some other ethnicities as well. There's lots of things to do, from water sports to golfing. Hiking is great as well, you can trek volcanoes although you need a tour guide for this.

Of course, just lounging in the beach and swimming is fine as well. There's lots of restaurants and hotels around the beach so you don't need to worry about that.

There are also caves, waterfalls and hot springs to explore. You only need to ask the locals and they can point you in the right direction.

6. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

@Phileas80 those pictures of Fiji are gorgeous! I've actually heard a lot of people rave about how wonderfully relaxing Fiji is - and one thing they also always comment on is how friendly Fijian people are. Everyone I know who has been there says they felt so welcomed, which is always nice when you're traveling to somewhere new, I think.

It's definitely on my list of places I want to visit someday! I feel like it would be the perfect relaxing beach vacation.

7. Phileas80

Phileas80 Member

Well, everything you've heard is true! It's a great place for tourism the locals are very friendly and some of the locations you'll find yourself in are so picturesque it's silly. The only problem is that it's just so far away from everywhere else. Only Australia and New Zealand are close by with LA, Tokyo and Hong Kong being around 10 hours away. For people in Europe, it's even worse. The distance makes visiting Fiji a once in a lifetime thing for many people but if you're ever near the southern hemisphere give it a try I think you'll love it.

Also it might be best to really save up and purchase a multi-stop ticket, this is probably the most practical way of getting to and from Fiji without spending days on a plane.

Last edited: May 18, 2016