1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Packing For A Trip

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Corzhens, May 14, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

After seeing in a documentary the proper way of packing clothes, I now roll the clothes instead of folding it. That style of rolling saves space so you can pack more things in your luggage. And to be sure that you don't forget anything, frequent travelers like me should have a checklist so you need not think about bringing the phone's charger, the toiletries, etc. Especially if you are going to a remote area like camping in the mountains, include in your checklist first aid medicines like paracetamol, ointment for wounds and insect repellent.

amelia88 likes this.
  2. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Active Member

a checklist is a really good idea. I rarely do it nowadays but it's a good way to make sure that you have everything. I always use this method for longer trips.

3. Valerie

Valerie Active Member

I usually roll my clothing up as well. I also use packing cubes to compress bigger stacks and stay organized too.
    Checklists are great to remember things that you might forget. Though, I often write down a checklist then forget to use it when packing haha.

4. maxen57

maxen57 Member

My mom's been rolling clothes since forever. She's the one who helped my cousin pack all his clothes when he was on his way to Dubai. She was able to fit everything from his closet and the luggage weighed exactly 25kgs., the maximum amount allowed. There are also other ways to pack clothes like systematically folding them. There are various techniques on YouTube that you can find.

5. omgidk

omgidk New Member

My mother is the one who taught me the rolling technique because when I was younger we would travel every summer. Plus I try to make a checklist because not only does it help me remember what to take, but also if I lose something, I will realize it before going back home. As a woman, I take special care with my cosmetics and accessories since such small things can get lost easily and my cosmetics bag is almost always a mess, so I try to pack the bare minimum whenever I can.

6. Miya

Miya Active Member

I don't roll my clothes, but I put them in vacuum bags and seal it. They sell the bags at the dollar store here and it works like a charm. It helps me get rid of the extra air so I can pack more and save space. I've learned to seal them so they are almost paper thin (LOL) and it's great.

7. Rachel

Rachel Member

I used to roll my clothes but I don't bother now, I just lay them flat in the case. I do stuff underwear into my shoes though, to save a bit of space, and I *always* have a checklist of non-clothing items that I need to take with me and items get picked off and put onto the packing area (i.e the bed in the guest bedroom!). I always start to gather what I need a couple of weeks prior to going, I hate rushing when it comes to packing for a trip!

8. Coco

Coco Active Member

Here's a few ways to roll clothes, in case anyone doesn't know how to do it:

hero_SKIVVYheader1500.

packing-hack-how-to-fold-a-tshirt-into-a-sock.

the-roll.
    I particularly like the sock rolling method because it can save space for both the socks and the shirt. With this method, you're sure to save space in your luggage. I have used these methods ever since I started travelling. I just looked up tutorials on how to do this because no one in my family does this, lol. But I did share this method with my mother and sister, I think they have started doing this as well.

I do have a checklist as well. I always have to have a checklist because I'm so forgetful with these things. I usually divide the checklist into different parts: Sleeping Clothes, Going Out Clothes, Toiletries, Emergency Kit, Makeup, Formal Clothes, Towel, Gadgets and Chargers and whatever else I might need, depends on how long and where we're going.

I also have to bring extra plastic or eco bags for used clothes and soaked clothes. Then, with shoes, I would need one sandals and one fit flops.

9. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I definitely roll my clothes too. Not only does it save space but I find things don't end up as crinkled or with awkward fold marks! So there's that benefit to it as well.

I am usually a pretty organized packer though (at least I like to think so). I have a trip coming up in a month, and I've already started packing for it. I am always shocked when people will pack for a trip at the very last minute (I'm talking like the night before, or even the morning of a trip!)

That sort of packing would really stress me out. I like having the time to really refine what I'm bringing, and to also make sure I haven't forgotten anything!

10. Rachel

Rachel Member

I packed for a week's holiday drunk once. It was very interesting when I arrived at my destination and got my clothes out of the suitcase. I had to buy several new items of clothing, plus two bikinis!

amelia88 likes this.
  11. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Hey - that's the perfect excuse to do some extra shopping, right?!

I'm thinking to myself if I was drunk I am sure there would be all manner of random things in my suitcase that I didn't need - and probably nothing that I did need! :eek:

12. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

Thank you for the images, @Coco, that was a gem of a demo. I remember in our first trips, my husband would pack his things in his own bag and I, in my own. But when we started going abroad, we had this luggage that we share. No more each to his own because my husband is not neat when it comes to packing. Whether folded or rolled, the clothes would be all over the luggage just how @amelia88 described it. So the packing chore is in my hands all the time.

By the way, don't forget to weight your bags after packing and check the weight against the baggage allowance specified in the plane ticket. It is a sorry state if you are charged for the extra cargo weight, very expensive, I tell you.

13. sararas

sararas Member

I'm kind in the middle or an average packer. While I know in my mind the techniques, I usually just end up stacking things in a square/rectangular mesh bag, and put it in my backpack. The longest I've traveled is only for a week, so a backpack just does it for me. I've only used a suitcase once when all my travel companions to Seoul are bringing one. Haha, I had to join the pack. So, ended up taking one. While not too many are into using disposable underwear, to me - they're heaven-sent. Not only do you remove the possible embarrassment if you're asked to open your bag, but you get to throw them and that gives more room to your bag. Having vacuum bags also helps.

14. Rachel

Rachel Member

Yes, that's exactly what happened. I'm sure I forgot about an entire pile of clothing that I'd put out ready to go in the case - when I got to Puerto Banus I was mortified!

Something else I have done in the past, when travelling with my partner, is to split our clothing between the two suitcases - this way, if one goes missing, at least the unfortunate soul whose bag has gotten misplaced is not without clothing!

15. Novelangel

Novelangel Member

I always roll my clothes when I travel. I think that it not only saves space but also helps prevent wrinkling to some degree. I actually find myself packing more clothing than I actually need in a smaller amount of space, which is fabulous if you aren't exactly sure what you'll need for every place that you visit during your trip. I want to make sure that I'm prepared for everything while still packing light enough for carrying purposes. I've found that shoes can be my biggest problem as they take up more space... can't roll them, but they can be tucked into nooks and crannies and I try to bring only a few pairs that will work for just about anything that I'm planning to do while on my trip.