1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Packing List For Humid Climates

Discussion in 'Asia' started by amelia88, Apr 25, 2016.

1. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I'm sure a lot of us that have traveled in Asia (or those who live there!) know how it is dealing with humid climates. I think it's important to know what's good to pack when you're traveling somewhere that has a lot of humidity - otherwise you can end up feeling like your clothes are a sauna!

I always try and pack cotton/linen for breathability, and things that are loose and flowy are also very helpful. Maxi skirts, maxi dresses, hippie styled pants - things like that I've found are ideal. I try not to wear things that are really dark in color because I find they retain heat so much more - so lighter colors are always things I favor!

Also when it comes to shoes a comfortable sandal type shoe is what I go for - but something that is waterproof is essential I think! Once I took birkenstocks that weren't waterproof and they got saturated - didn't really work out too well for me!

What are your other tips for packing for humid climates?

Coco likes this.
  2. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

This is not to malign our country but the Philippines is a very humid place particularly Metro Manil. When we were in Bangkok last month, we were always sweating because of the heat and humidity. My husband said that he had experienced a hot summer in California but he did not sweat because it was not humid. We brought along 3 young people - my nephew and nieces - to Bangkok. And they were forewarned so they brought along sneakers and walking shoes plus shorts and sleeveless shirts. We always have a spare shirt when we go out because it is a given that we would perspire heavily.

3. Valerie

Valerie Active Member

When it comes to humid weather, I find that carrying around a towel is also necessary -- even just a small washcloth to help sop up sweat. Clothing-wise, I've made use of underlayers with "cool technology," like the shirts and stuff found at UNIQLO. Clothes that billow away from the body in a breeze are also helpful. Anything that clings will just add a layer of insulation to your body that you don't need. On humid days, I personally like wide-legged pants or shorts, a cool tech tank top, and a loose button down shirt to flap about when I need a breeze.

amelia88 likes this.
  4. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Active Member

As always, dress appropriately. Humid does not necessarily mean warm though, in some areas the mornings are very humid and cold. Which is quite a pain in the backside to be honest. :D Ohh and if you are doing more physical stuff, like hiking, walking long distances etc. then it's better to allow for a couple of "easy days" when you first arrive to let your body adjust to the new climate before doing anything too physical.

5. Novelangel

Novelangel Member

Aside from the first moment, when the Philippines heat smacked me right in the face as I exited the air conditioned airport, I never had too much trouble with it. Of course, this could be due to the fact that everyone knew I was from a "seasonal" state where it gets very cold in the winter, so everywhere I went people would park me right next to at least one fan. Whirling blades became my main view in every home I entered, which was fine, except that I felt like I wasn't allowed to move around much, since any time I got up and walked around, those fans would magically follow me. LOL. At any rate, I dressed comfortably in shorts and tank tops the whole time I was there. I don't think I ever wore anything with sleeves at all. The main thing to remember when traveling in the Philippines is that you should pack a LOT of clothes, because doing laundry in that tropical heat is not a fun experience. You will likely have to do them by hand, so it is wise to pack a lot so you only have to do laundry once or twice during your visit. I managed this by rolling up my clothes rather than folding them. You can get more into a suitcase using that technique.

6. Miya

Miya Active Member

I would also recommend the "Airism" from Uniqlo. They are the best and will keep you cool in the hot summer. If you catch them while they're having their sales, you can get them for less than $10USD.

I would also recommend getting cooling towels (not from Uniqlo). All you have to do is pour water on them and they'll remain cool for a while. I swear these towels are the reason I haven't had a heat stroke yet.

amelia88 likes this.
  7. Myrr

Myrr Member

Oh man! That's one of the things that I hate the most, humidity. The heat I can take, it's the feeling of ickiness which I can't tolerate. I've lived in a tropical country all my life but I still can't get used to it. Whenever I travel, especially during the summer months, I always bring ClimaCool apparel with me: from shoes, to pants, to shirts. I also bring rubber sandals because aside from the fact that I can submerge them in water, it's more comfortable to wear and they're airy. It's nice to not confine your feet during the hot weather.

8. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlands New Member

I don't really like humid temperatures, but it is important to prepare yourself for them as the truth is that you just can't avoid them if you want to go travelling! I was shocked when I first visited this type of climate because I didn't appreciate the fact that the weather can be cold and humid at the same time - but it certainly can! You need to take several layers with you and make sure that you have something to change into if you get hot and sweaty (which is almost inevitable). Nice and light and airy is key - but with something to keep you warm in case of cooler weather, too!

9. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

@Valerie @Miya yes!! How great are Uniqlo?! I also love their winter gear too (I think it's called heat-tech from memory) as they were great keeping me warm in winter - I haven't checked out their range that keeps you cool but that's a good tip for me. I think it's great that their stuff is also quite budget friendly and doesn't cost the earth!

Miya and Valerie like this.
  10. Valerie

Valerie Active Member

Heat tech is such a lifesaver for cold-blood people (like me) lol. I agree with you on the pricing too. I also love the quality of their seasonal clothing. As you said, it's budget friendly, but it's made ridiculously well and makes for easier living during the most uncomfortable of months.

Another thing for combating humidity that I'd like to add: opt for zero linings. Linings tend to bubble up in heat and increase your body temperature. Straw hats--or those of similar construction--are also a great accessory. Having hot sun beat down on your only serves to exacerbate the density of humidity.

Miya and amelia88 like this.
  11. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

@Valerie I found that the case with most Japanese stuff - super, super well made! There's definitely a sense of pride in craftsmanship I think, and what they sell!

Good advice about the hats, too. I have a straw fedora that I probably need to replace as it's been worn anywhere and everywhere - but it's been wonderful in humid climates because it doesn't make my head feel as if it's suffocating!

12. Miya

Miya Active Member

Heat-tech is what keeps me alive in the winter. I hate the cold, but it's unbearably cold in Japan. With heat-tech, I'm comfortable and I'm not freezing. Oh, and I can't forget about the Ultra Lightweight Down Jackets from Uniqlo. So poofy, but light and comfortable. They are pricey, but well worth it. :p

Here's a tip for those shopping at Uniqlo: Buy heat-tech in the summer, buy Airism in the winter. That's usually when they're thrown into the discount bin. I picked up a couple of Airism shirts in the winter for less than 200 yen ($2) each. Such a steal! They'll have sales like this online too since they'll want to get rid of last year's stock before the new season comes.

amelia88 likes this.
  13. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

I was very surprised when I went to Malta. As soon as I stepped out of the airport I was knocked down. I felt like I was breathing water not air. If you ask me the only gear you need is a small oxygen tank :). I am not sure how Malta stands worldwide on this question but average humidity is 73 % so in summer is just crazy. It is really hard to do anything at all and I am a very fit guy. I managed to run a half marathon there but I ran it slower than usual. I have no idea what to bring or use in this situations. I believe the best thing is to find a shade and lie down.

14. Coco

Coco Active Member

I live in a very humid and tropical country so I know this dilemma all too well. My suggestions would be to:
    • Bring breathable clothes only. This includes cotton or rayon fabrics only. Avoid fabrics like wool or silk as they trap moisture and can be very uncomfortable in humid countries. I encourage my relatives to bring loose clothing whenever they visit our country during the summer. Since they come from colder countries, their bodies aren't adapted to our weather here. Like you said, maxi skirts can be a girl's best friend. Aside from that, shorts with garters and loose tops are great options as well.
    • I'd also advice others to bring in a deodorant or buy a deodorant in whichever country you're visiting. Chances are, you'll sweat like bullets and it's better to be prepared than not be prepared at all. I use natural or organic deodorants from local brands.
    • Bring little makeup because there's that possibility of it just melting in your face because of the heat. I just use sunblock and powder whenever we go out. Maybe a little lip and cheek tint but that's about it.
    • Flip flops are acceptable here as well and you can bring in sandals for something more dressy.
    • Sunglasses to shield your eyes away from the sun.
    • A scarf can double as a sun cover up as well.
    I hope this helps!

15. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I need to get better at doing that - stocking up in the off seasons so I'm prepared! I have a tendency to be a last minute buyer when it comes to apparel for certain seasons - and I'm sure I could save a significant amount if I was just better prepared! 200 yen for a shirt is such a sweet deal!