1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Perth/fremantle

Discussion in 'Australia' started by amelia88, Apr 12, 2016.

1. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Most of my travel in Australia so far has been centered on the east coast of the country, and I think that's probably the case for most of us who are coming in from the States. I've seen Cairns, Melbourne, Sydney, and part of Tasmania too, but I've never seen the west coast of Australia.

Now, some people I met backpacking did say they've been to both Perth and Fremantle and really enjoyed it there. They said it was very laid back and just had a good vibe. I love the beach so I think I'd like to visit there, but has anyone got any more experience with this part of Australia and could let me know of some other things to see and do?

I just want to make sure it would be worth a repeat trip, especially since Australia is so large and I'd have to find flights from Sydney to Perth, I think.

2. Catchmeifyoucan

Catchmeifyoucan New Member

When was the last time you went to Australia? I remember going and eating at Hungry Jack's a Burger King owned chain. If I remember correctly they used ostrich meat in the burgers. It could be a stretch of the imagination since it was so long ago.

amelia88 likes this.
  3. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

@Catchmeifyoucan I was last there in 2012! Feels like forever ago now, though! And yes - it was weird for me to see the usual American Burger King offerings being sold through a place called Hungry Jacks - that was a big mind trip for me! I don't remember seeing ostrich burgers there but maybe it was a seasonal thing? Maybe emu? I have no idea, when I went there it was all normal American fare there...Whopper burgers and the like. Although I did see one there called an Aussie Burger which must be their own special one - it had bacon and egg and beetroot on it. I never understood that Aussie love for beetroot on burgers!

4. Coco

Coco Active Member

Hi! Here's a few places or things to do in Perth that I can recommend:
    • Visit King's Park and Botanical Garden:
    australia-western-australia-perth-kings-park.

The best thing about this place? It's free to enter! You can view the Swan River from the park as well. There are different areas in the park where you can explore. Some of the areas are the Acacia Garden, the Place of Reflection and the Water Garden. It's nice to relax and unwind on this park at any time during your trip.​
    • Beaches:
    australia-western-australia-perth-cottesloe-beach.

I have already mentioned Cottesloe Beach in another thread but it's worth repeating. There is fine, white sand and the water is very clear. Around the beach, there are many cafes you can try out. Another one is City Beach:

niki-heather-at-perth-city-beach-western-australia.

This one's more for families because it has playgrounds for kids. But still, it boasts of white sands and clear waters, perfect for just relaxing and basking in the waters. ​
    • Perth Mint:
    australia-western-australia-perth-mint.

You can watch gold being turned into gold bars here, so cool, right? This place has the largest collection of gold and gold bars in the world, certainly worth a visit.
    I hope this helps!

5. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

The beaches seriously look amazing - I am a real lover of nature and the outdoors, so I think I would basically be content just hanging out by the beach!

I really like the look of the architecture too - very charming and classic! And that is super cool about being able to see gold being turned into gold bars at the Perth Mint! That would be a very unique experience. Since it looks like a place that's full of beautiful nature, do you know if there are any good hikes in the area? I love hiking and would love to see if there are any good nature trails there!

6. reverserewind

reverserewind Member

I've been to Perth and some of the nearby cities as well. It's pretty cool there. Definitely not the most attractive place in Australia but it's still worth going there. I'm sure you all won't regret it whatsoever.

7. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

We are not much for the beaches and besides, we have lots of beaches here in our country. But I would surely enjoy the King's Park because a park is our usual haunt in a place. When in Singapore, we never miss the Gardens by the Bay which has a variety of plants and trees to admire aside from the other attractions like the shuttle and the playground with a fountain where you are allowed to get wet. And another of our usual haunt is the zoo. I'm sure Perth has a wonderful zoo with unique animals to show like the platypus maybe.

8. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

That's one thing I am just fascinated by, Australian animals! There are some really unique species that can only be found there, like the platypus that you mentioned...koalas, wombats, and kangaroos too...and I'm sure there's more that I just can't think of right now.

I'm definitely an animal lover, so I think getting to see the unique animals would really be up there on the top of my things I'd like to experience.

Corzhens likes this.
  9. reverserewind

reverserewind Member

The central park in the downtown of Perth was a blast! I recommend everyone go there If you're determined to see Western Australia. You will love it for sure.