1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos From Alberta National Park

Discussion in 'North America' started by ZipMedia, Jun 20, 2016.

1. ZipMedia

ZipMedia New Member

I struck gold a few years ago when I visited Alberta! Still one of my favorite trips to date. If you want an easy sightseeing location, definitely check it out. We landed in Calgary and drove all the way to Lake Louis (famous for it's sediment-pasted turquoise water) and the giant glaciers that tower above it. We went on a ski lift on an adjacent mountain when we took this photo:

To the middle-right is the lake, and you can see the hotel in front of it (which is actually quite large). According to guides, the glacier that can be seen hanging over the lake is 100 times the height of the hotel! At night, chunks of the glacier fall off the cliff face and almost sound like thunder.

2. Novelangel

Novelangel Member

That is beautiful, and such a relaxing point of view. I would have spent all day just taking pictures of all those mountain peaks. I love how you got those trees in the foreground, very nicely photographed, by the way. I think I'd be a little nervous whenever I heard chunks of ice and snow falling from the cliffs, though. That might make me a bit jumpy even if everything else about the location seems very relaxing. What was the lake itself like? You said it has sediments in it, does that mean the water is opaque but turquoise colored, or does it mean that there is a sandy bottom to the lake and the water is very clear?

3. Valerie

Valerie Active Member

Wow, that's breathtaking. Nature's truly amazing, isn't it. Just the colors and the shapes and all the green. No wonder it's a favorite!
    I'm totally adding this to my travel bucket list, because this is the kind of sightseeing that I love to do. It's a shame though. At one time, that glacier was humongous. (I believe this was one of the melting glaciers featured in An Inconvenient Truth)

4. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

Gee, what a nice pic you have posted there. If I'm not mistaken, Alberta is in Canada, right? I have to be honest that I would like to see that place but not really to experience. Being born and raised in a tropical country, my body cannot endure the extreme cold. I had experienced zero degree last year in Beijing and I'd say I cannot last for long in that temperature. I was running fast to reach the hotel room. But in fairness to that place, maybe it's not too cold in the valley so I can still take that 5 degrees cold.

5. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Active Member

Lovely picture. Canada is definitely one of the countries that I want to visit somewhere in the future. It's a large country with a lot to see so multiple trips would be necessary, I just hope I manage to make that dream come to a reality.

6. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Stunning!

Canada has always been somewhere I've wanted to visit. I remember seeing a picture of Lake Louise when I was younger, and thinking "I have to go there!" - and it's sadly still on my to do list!

Seeing pictures like yours show me more beauty in Canada and make me even more encouraged to visit.