1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning The Itinerary

Discussion in 'North America' started by Corzhens, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

Do you have a plan of itinerary when you go abroad? We used to be an adventurer when it comes to the places to go to. Our reason is to be more exciting. But there were times that we would go home and realize that we have missed important places or popular tourist spots. So that made us to think that it is better to have a list of itinerary. In our last trip, we have an itinerary list in Hongkong no matter if we are there every year. What's important is we do not waste time in thinking of where to go. Our schedule is fine, it is loaded.

2. Miya

Miya Active Member

I always, always plan an itinerary. When I'm traveling, I don't want to waste any time so I make sure I know what I want to see and where I want to go. Sure, exploring is fun too, but it takes a lot of time and the results are not always satisfying.

On top of that, I have no sense of direction. So whenever I plan an itinerary, I always write down the trains or buses I have to take to get to my next location. If I didn't have an itinerary, I would probably be very lost.

3. Ava

Ava Member

I have a basic plan because buying tickets in advance is so much cheaper. Whenever I go to the US I like to use the bus and you can get $1 fares as long as you book in advance. Being flexible is better though, so I allow myself days either side to stay longer or to move on if I find somewhere exciting to visit.

What I have found is once you are somewhere, local information is more realistic than guides online or in books and you can find more fascinating things to see and do, so never limit yourself to what is online as that is often paid for promotion. Another thing to look out for is transport, and whether there is a weekend timetable, or if there is a local public holiday that will affect times and prices.

4. It's has been a long time since I went far away for a holiday. I was in Thailand for many years. I didn't need an itinerary for that since I was working. However, if I were to go for a holiday in a foreign country, planning the itinerary would be the first order of the day. A couple of years ago, I took my students on a field trip to a neighboring country. First, I checked on our departure and arrival times. Then I searched the Web for interesting places to visit. After that, I made an estimate of how much time to spend at each place. On top of that, I added extra time for unplanned incidents. The field trip went well. We visited all the places on the program and got back in time.