1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Popular Question : Whаt Аrе Surprising Things Аbоut Rоmе Fоr First Timе Visitоrs?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Benoit W, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Benoit W

Benoit W New Member

I visitеd Rоmе fоur yеаrs аgо, in Аugust. Sоmе things surprisеd mе:

1. Thе саbdrivеrs.Саbdrivеrswоn'tdrivе yоutо сеrtаinаrеаsifthе tripisn't "fаrеnоugh" bythеirstаndаrds. Itsееmеdtо mе thеrе wаsа glutоfсаbdrivеrs, sо еасhhаdtо wаitthеirturn, аndthеywаntеdthе triptо bе prоfitаblе. Wе spеntа lоtоftimе wаndеringаrоundаsа rеsult.

2. Аll thе PDА. My gоd. Thе mоst еgrеgiоus еxаmplе асtuаlly hаppеnеd in Pisа, whеrе my pаrеnts аnd I wаtсhеd, slightly hоrrifiеd, аs а gоth-lооking соuplе dry-humpеd аll оvеr thе lаwn right оutsidе thе Lеаning Tоwеr. Аnоthеr timе, this timе асtuаlly in Rоmе, wе wеrе sitting оutsidе аt а tаblе аnd sаt аwkwаrdly fоr upwаrds оf fivе minutеs whilе а pаir оf tееnаgеrs mаdе оut а fооt аwаy frоm us. This is nоrmаl.

3. Lаtе hоurs. Wаking up аt еlеvеn а.m. аnd еаting dinnеr аt 9:30 p.m. is соmplеtеly ассеptаblе, аnd in fасt, еxpесtеd. Thе hеаt in Аugust is sооpprеssivе thаt tоurist shоps wоuldn't mаkеаny mоnеy оthеrwisе, but еspесiаlly соming frоm Lоs Аngеlеs, it wаs strаngе tо sее rеstаurаnts full аt 10 p.m. with pеоplе strеаming in. I undеrstаnd this is thе nоrm in sоuthеrn Еurоpе, but it wаs thе first timе I hаd visitеd thе rеgiоn аnd а surprisе, аs suсh.

4. Thе ruins. Еvеrywhеrе in Rоmе, thеrе is sоmе аnсiеnt ruinеd sitе. Thе сity hаs grоwn up оvеr thе ruins, sо mоst аrе just pоking up, but yоu саn't wаlk hаlf а milе withоut pаssing sоmе sоrt оf ruin. Оnе plасе hаd bееn fеnсеd аnd turnеd intо а саt sаnсtuаry, whеrе thе fеrаl саts соuld run аrоund in thе ruins аnd thе tаmе саts kеpt indооrs tо bе аdоptеd.

5. Аnсiеnt mоnumеnts in gеnеrаl. Аthеns is prоbаbly thе оnly оthеr сity in Еurоpе sо thоrоughly drеnсhеd in аnсiеnt struсturеs. Yоu hаvе thе Соlоssеum, thе Pаnthеоn, thе Fоrum, plus innumеrаblе bаsiliсаs, bаths, аnd fоuntаins. Аnd thеy'rе аll surrоundеd by mоdеrn struсturеs whеrе pеоplе livе, wоrk аnd еаt dаy in аnd dаy оut. It's bizаrrеаnd bеаutiful.

Admin likes this.
  2. DangerSuit

DangerSuit New Member

For me, the manners. I thought London was bad, but my goodness, the service industry staff were all so rude! I get it, they work in one of the busiest tourist cities in the world, but surely it pays for them to be polite?

Also, the food was pretty poor in comparison with other areas of Italy. If you're heading to Italy for a pizza, go to Naples or somewhere in the South. Rome has awful pizza. Their ice cream is still good though, so don't worry about that.

In a nice surprise, the place in general is not as expensive as some might lead you to believe - Paris and London are far more expensive. Get a city pass - it is actually worth it in Rome because you will want to see all of the sights available on the pass list.

3. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

This is just the story of my colleague who was in Rome late last year. She said that her camera was so tired in clicking because almost anywhere you look at are worthy of taking pictures. The structures in the Vatican are awesome and naturally selfie is the order of the day. As what we see in the pictures, there were the pigeons and the birds almost everywhere. However, it is just sad that she lost her handbag to a snatcher in Rome.

4. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

Now don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Italy and I even like Rome but for me it was a let down. I think a lot of that though is because before you go, you paint a picture in your mind about what it's going to be like.

You imagine Rome to be full of history and romance. A City full of culture and a unique experience that you wouldn't get in any other city in the world, but sadly that's not the case.

The city is very busy with traffic, the monuments and historic monuments are dirty and some have even been tagged with graffiti. It's certainly not everything you'd imagine it to be.

5. Coco

Coco Active Member

For me, it has to be:
    • I was surprised that cars and other vehicles have the right of way. Most especially the motorcycle and scooter drivers, better keep out of their way because they're surely not going to stop for you.
    • This one's kind of weird: everything they eat is carb-loaded but they aren't really obese. What kind of sorcery is that? Lol. Pizza, pasta, not to mention delicious wine... Sigh. Can I have their genes? Haha!
    • Dinner is quite extravagant... Not because it's expensive, but it's just there's many courses. Here in my country, it's just one viand and rice. But there, it's three courses, pasta, fish or meat and dessert. I'm not complaining though!
    To be honest, these won't stop me from visiting Rome again. I think it's all part of their culture and life... And it's fine for me! Most especially the last two, the first one I can take it or leave it. Lol.

6. Phileas80

Phileas80 Member

The ruins take getting used to as there are so many and everything looks historically relevent, keeps you looking around for a while. On the flip side Rome is a famous city in Europe but doesn't seem modern at all when compared to other capital cities. The roads are a danger to tourists and keep an eye out for the 100's of scooters.
    Also if you're heading out there looking for some large nights out you may end up disappointed as Rome doesn't have the nightlife of a Madrid, Berlin or London.

7. GraceB

GraceB New Member

It's called "not just sitting around all day long, and instead working out". It's a well-guarded secret to weight loss ;)

I visited Rome for the first time couple months back, and for me it was quite shocking how unbelievably dirty the whole city was. Now I understand that it's a big city, but never have I seen anything as bad as Rome when in Europe. A place like Bangkok or Manila I can understand, but Rome was a real shocker to me.

Another thing, like someone said before, was the rudeness of people. Almost everywhere I went I just felt like I was bothering them by merely existing. I will not go to Rome again, and I won't exactly be praising the place to anyone either.

8. maxen57

maxen57 Member

I always thought that towns villages have more charm to them. It's where you'll experience homemade cuisine that Italian women are known for. Tourists spots like Rome should have enough clean up crews to take care of the mess and tourists should also keep in mind to bring their good manners along and not litter. As for the PDA, well, it's like that almost everywhere nowadays.

9. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

I agree, that PDA thing is almost anywhere. We were in Vietnam last year and there was this young couple, probably teenagers, seated on the bench fronting the river. They were smooching and the guy looked like groping the girl. My husband was quick with the camera in taking a video. Yeah, got it. And after a short walk, there was this little shed with some benches and the same scenes again. In Manila, there are similar scenes but I wonder why I haven't seen that in Hongkong or Singapore.