1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prohibited Items On The Plane

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Corzhens, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

All airlines have a flyer that lists the prohibited items on board the plane. That is to help you avoid the delay of inspections in the security check. First in the list are deadly weapons, of course, followed by pointed objects that can be used in place of a knife. And lately, I have known that e-cigarettes are also prohibited mainly because of its battery.

Do you wonder why water bottle is prohibited in the security check but later you can buy bottled water in the store in the boarding area? Staff in the security check would confiscate your drinking bottle. But the plane allows drinking bottle that you bought there.

2. Valerie

Valerie Active Member

I think the whole drinking bottle thing has to do with the illegal smuggling of certain liquids and alcohols. I'm sure there are fluids which are flammable or could be used in some way to endanger other people.
    Although I could be wrong. I know I've also seen airports get strict about baby bottles filled with formula, which I think is utterly ridiculous.

3. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I think Valerie hit the nail on the head. When you're going through security they seem pretty strict on what you can bring through - but if you want to buy a water bottle on the other side of security to take on the plane it isn't a problem.

4. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Active Member

Water bottle isn't the problem, the problem is how do they verify that it's actually water in that bottle? And that is why you can't bring it through, it's simply so much easier to say "no" rather than try to verify the contents of tens of thousands of bottles each day. That being said, the damn airport security at Barcelona confiscated my EMPTY bottle of water! :D Now that was a bit silly, as I love to carry an empty one in and just fill it up instead of buying a new one for 2 euros.

5. I usually take an empty water bottle, or bottle with me. When the security guard opens it up and sees that it's empty they'll let it go through. Then you can usually go find a water fountain to fill it up on the other side. You can also ask one of the fast-food places if you can fill up ice and water from the fountain. That way the guards can be safe and you can have fresh ice cold water to drink. But there are some countries that don't let you do that because they want a monopoly on you money. So be prepared to have something of yours confiscated.

6. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Ha, that's a good point -- it could be any clear liquid, and I don't think that any airport would have the manpower or technology available at their fingertips to be checking the chemical compounds of whatever liquid was contained in a bottle.

I'm so surprised they confiscated an empty bottle! I've learned to take an empty one too, since airport water bottles seem to be a premium price - and I tend to try and travel on the cheap!

7. Miya

Miya Active Member

I am pretty sure the policies are different depending on where you are and where you're headed. If you have a sealed, unopened bottle of water, they'll let you through when you're flying domestic, but not international. And as for why some airports don't allow empty water bottles, it's because they're afraid you're carrying some chemicals inside the bottle. It's a really weird reason and I seriously doubt people do that, but I guess they don't want to take the risk.

I've recently been told that extra battery packs for your phone are not allowed on the plane? Again, it varies from airline to airline but my aunt told me that the airline she usually rides with told her to not bring any battery packs (for check-in or carry-on) because they were afraid that it'd explode.