1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quirkiest Hotels In The Us

Discussion in 'North America' started by amelia88, Apr 23, 2016.

1. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

One other thread about Route 66 got me thinking about this, because there's a wigwam hotel that I always thought looked so quirky and unique.

Another place I stayed was the Madonna Inn, which is just off the Pacific Coast Highway. All the rooms are decked out in different themes and it's crazy but super cool. The room I had was set up all like a cave - so bizarre but it sure was memorable.

Do you know of any other weird or wacky hotels in the US?

2. Catchmeifyoucan

Catchmeifyoucan New Member

I'm not sure if this qualifies for a hotel, but the Winchester mystery house is pretty cool. It's in San Jose, CA. There are slanted rooms. Doors with brick walls behind them. Supposedly the place is haunted.

3. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

A haunted hotel?! I don't think I would have the courage to stay there! I think at the slightest unexplained noise I would be freaking out...a creak, the sound of the wind, and I would be jumping out of my skin!

4. Norjak71

Norjak71 New Member

I don't know if this would classify in your definition of 'quirky' but the Stanley hotel in Estes Park, Colorado was in the news very recently, trending on social media platforms as well. The owners of the store have passed on; however, many have seen them floating around in ghost-form. It is actually a tourist attraction now with many paranormal experts confirming that their is ghostly behavior at this location. Multiple people replied on the forums as well with pictures they have taken with ghosts in the background and people that look eerily similar to the previous owners. I might have to take a trip out there one day myself.

5. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I don't think I could sleep there overnight! It seems like there's a surprisingly large number of hotels that are haunted...I guess if you are into ghost hunting it could be cool, and it sounds like they're getting a lot of business out of the fact that it seems to be haunted! I like my hotels to be ghost free, though! ;)

6. Novelangel

Novelangel Member

I would love to spend a night in a cave hotel. Sounds really cool to me. I have yet to encounter one of these places for myself, but I will definitely have to look around and see if there are any really quirky hotels or motels in my state. I do however, know of one hotel where there are two enclosed water slides sticking out of the building. There is a huge indoor water park inside the hotel and when you walk past outside you can hear people screaming as they slide down inside those giant tubes. It's located in Frankenmuth, Michigan and it's called Zehnder's Splash Village.

7. Lynk

Lynk Member

I recently stayed in an absolutely adorable place in Santa Fe called the Silver Saddle Motel. It definitely counts as quirky! It's an old west themed place with all kinds of adorable kitchy stuff in the lobby and each room has a little bit different them. Really cute decor and friendly people running the place, and it's really inexpensive. Had a great 3 day stay here and wished I could have stayed all week!

8. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I just looked it up online and it absolutely fits my idea of quirky! I think it would be perfect for anyone who is planning on doing a road trip of Route 66 - I've seen quite a few people actually posting about that here on the forum (there's a thread about Route 66!) so this would be a really fun recommendation for them.

I also love that you said the people running the place were super friendly - that's absolutely a consideration when I am booking somewhere to stay! The room prices seemed very reasonable too.

9. maxen57

maxen57 Member

I do love the themed hotels spread out all over the Unites States. The amazing exterior and interior designs thought out by the architects are anything but boring and I admire the imagination and careful planning it took to build entertainingly unique structures. I've looked them up and I have quite a number of favorites like the Out'n'About Treehouses Treesort in Oregon, Kokopelli's Cave Bed and Breakfast in Mew Mexico, The Winvian in Connecticut, and Beckham Creek Cave Lodge in Arkansas. One lodging, the Queen Mary in Long Beach, California is an old cruise ship that was said to be hunted and was featured in my favorite paranormal investigation show.