1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reminiscing On A Trip When I Was Young

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Catchmeifyoucan, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Catchmeifyoucan

Catchmeifyoucan New Member

I remember going to Australia for a week when I was about 13 years old. My dad had worked for United Airlines at the time, and he was able to get us some cheap tickets to go out during Spring Break. It was me my younger brother and my parents on this trip. For some reason my dad ended up booking a hotel in Kings Cross, which is the red light district area in Sydney. Needless to say that didn't go over so well with my mom. She also wasn't too happy with the topless beaches that we ended up going to haha. I guess it's because she's really conservative. Anyway, It was a pretty awesome place to go, and I wouldn't mind going back as an adult. Maybe take a trip to check out the Gold Coast, or head back to Sydney and experience it as an adult.

Coco likes this.
  2. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

The Gold Coast is great in my opinion. I stayed in a town called Broadbeach, it's just a little trip into Surfers Paradise from there. And there's lots to see, beautiful beaches and the weather was nice even just coming out of winter there. There's also a bunch of theme parks there which is fun - and cool wildlife experiences! I love Australian animals, they're just so unique, so that was something that had always been on my bucket list.

Catchmeifyoucan likes this.
  3. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

I just want to relate the story of my husband when he went to the northern province of Abra in the Ilocos region. He was 15 years old at that time. He was invited by his high school classmate. On their first morning, they planned to swim in the river, just the two of them. Both boys were so excited but were stopped on their tracks upon seeing where they are going. The river is wide with good water flowing. By the side of the river were women washing clothes in the nude. There were more than 10 women of all ages, young and old, who were acting normally as if being nude is normal. Being a boy from the city, my husband couldn't proceed and he asked his classmate to just go back home.

4. Catchmeifyoucan

Catchmeifyoucan New Member

That's a pretty interesting story. My father is also from the Philippines. He grew up in Quezon City, and had some interesting adventures when he was younger. He told me about a time where he was on a makeshift bamboo raft with a friend, and he they got pulled out a few miles at sea by a rip tide. Luckily he said that a fishing boat was able to get them and bring them back to shore. I want to visit the Philippines some day as I've never made a trip yet.

5. Coco

Coco Active Member

Lol, that was quite a funny story and I think that's why you cannot seem to forget that childhood memory. Haha! I'm sure your mom have not forgotten that memory as well, lol. Anyway, like you said, King's Cross is definitely a red lights district area. But from what I've gathered, it's generally safe for tourists as long as you don't explore the areas in the wee hours of the night. If you must, visit the area during day time and with a few other friends, just to be on the safe side.

I cannot recommend any restaurants or clubs simply because I haven't been there. But from what I've read, they have got everything covered, from restaurants, to night clubs, to forbidden clubs and to some other places I cannot mention here. So it's up to you if ever you still want to visit this place. I think it's great to visit at least once in your life though, provided you're not with your kids. And if you have a wife, you either bring her with you or you keep this a secret from her. Haha! Kidding!

Just remember to stay safe and be observant. Pickpockets and thieves are notorious here as well as other crime makers. Take care!