1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Road Trip Or Flight

Discussion in 'North America' started by Norjak71, May 2, 2016.

1. Norjak71

Norjak71 New Member

Thinking of heading out to California from the East coast and wondering if I should plan a huge road trip or just fly there. Has anyone made such a long commute before? I'm interested in the sights on the way there and would be going with a few friends so I don't get too bored. What's the longest road trip you've ever had and is it worth it or should I just buy a plane ticket?

2. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

I am out of the states but that really doesn't have anything to do with your question. I just wanted to say that I know nothing about that region. However, what I do know is Europe and I have travelled several times by all three types of traffic. Three years ago I had a very traumatic experience in a flight back home and since than I never travelled by plane. I say this because since then I realized how good is to go on road trip. Recently I went to Montenegro by train that is very slow and it took me 15 hours to get there. It was so fun and it is even better when you travel by your own car. You can stop where ever and whenever you want. I love it. If you're not in a hurry I really recommend a road trip. If you take any please post some pictures here.

3. Lynk

Lynk Member

The longest I think I've done is from Chicago to Key West and back again, within just a week! I really enjoyed it, unfortunately I didn't have more time for this trip or I would have had a lot more fun if I'd been able to make more stops in between. That much travel is pretty tiring and it was a little hard on me. If I'd had 10-14 days though I think it would have been just about perfect. I love finding fun places along the way and it can be a blast with good friends! Just make sure to build time into your trip to do the fun extra stuff if you are going to go that route.

4. Norjak71

Norjak71 New Member

^^We've done the Detroit to Key West multiple times in a few days to go on Caribbean cruises. That never really struck me as that big of a deal so maybe I'm over-thinking it. There were some days when we would just drive for about 20 hours in a row though; I'd much rather do that than just constantly stopping, feels like we're going a little bit faster at least. On your second note, yes, we'd have to plan different things to do along the course. That's why I'm here looking for tips.

5. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

Personally I always prefer travelling by road rather than flying, especially if you don't have a set deadline or itinerary to meet, as you get to see more of the country itself.

That being said, if time is an issue then there's only one winner and you could probably fly there and back 3 times by the time it would take you to drive the same distance.

6. Miya

Miya Active Member

I've traveled from California to the East side many times and I usually just fly there. It saved me money and time. I went once by car and it took a really long time... I was able to see more, but I don't think it was worth it. I'd say just fly there for your own convenience. I'd only go on a road trip that long if flights weren't available and I absolutely had to get to my location.

7. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

I know of several people who have made the cross-country ride. The common thing that I heard from them was the undue fatigue from sitting in the car. From what I remember, the travel takes more than 10 days and that would depend on the stopovers. And if you make a detour from the original route then it will take longer.

If I would have the chance to make that travel, I would probably take the plane ride instead of a car ride because of the excessive time of travel. What worries me is my husband who gets bored in long travels. I'm sure he would not be able to complete the tour in the car for he would take a plane.

8. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

When travelling by road, tiredness is an issue and you're going to have to take plenty of rest stops, but that in itself can be part of the fun of travelling though.

It might not be the quickest way, but it's the most fun in my opinion.

9. It all depends on whether you want to watch the clouds and reach the destination faster or if you want to enjoy the scenery while caring more about the journey.

10. maxen57

maxen57 Member

As someone who have never been to the states, I'd pick road trip just for adventure's sake. Once I'm actually there, I'd choose the more practical choice, which is an air flight. If I'd ever go visit and have decided that I like it, and if I've made friends who'd go on a trip with my by land, maybe it will be fun seeing some sights along the way.

11. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Active Member

Depends on how much time you have really :p If I would be doing a road trip like that it would take a long time as I would be stopping in interesting places... you are looking at a week for the road trip and day for the flight so I think the time that you want to spend is the key here.

12. Ava

Ava Member

If you are with friends and they want to do the road trip then do it. It will be long though, fun, and may work out more expensive, but you can budget for it. It also depends where on the East Coast to where on the West Coast for the best routes. Do you have a date you need to be there by? If so take that into consideration, and also whether you will camp to save money or book motels on the way?

As for the sights, it depends on what you want to see, as some may require a slight detour and if your friends want to see the same things.

13. Novelangel

Novelangel Member

My longest road trip stretched clear from mid-Michigan all the way down to Jacksonville, Florida. I think it's somewhere around 1300 miles or something like that. It takes about 20 hours, but it is a very pretty drive along the way, especially through Kentucky and Tennessee, with all of the mountains and forested regions in those states. Georgia is one heck of a long drive all by itself, requiring about 12 of those 20 hours. My family and I were pretty bored with Georgia by the time we finally saw the last of it. On the way back, we all had food poisoning, so those 20 hours felt more like 20 years. Good heavens, that was awful.