1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Route 66

Discussion in 'North America' started by pwarbi, Sep 29, 2015.

1. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

Growing up I was always into cars, usually the old American hot rod type (and I still am to be honest) and my dream was always to drive along route 66 in America, the iconic highway that links the cities of the East with the West.

Up to now it's still a dream that's unfulfilled but I am planning on doing it in the next couple of years and was wondering if anybody else on here had driven the route, and if so what was it like?

2. GenevB

GenevB New Member

I have wondered for as long as I can remember, what it was so special about that Route 66, why would the Americans spawn it in every single movie, every TV show and so on. Only now, after reading your post, I realize that the route it's the one that makes the link between the east and the west.

Just so, I added another thing on my bucket list, I must go and drive there at least once in my life no matter what. I live in Europe right now, but I'm planning on going in vacation soon to USA and maybe even get full residency there, you just gave me one more reason to do so.

pwarbi likes this.
  3. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I'm an American and sadly I haven't done this whole drive - I've driven small parts of Route 66, but to do the entire drive is a bit of a bucket list goal for me as well!

I've always loved road trips, another nice one if you're into road tripping is the Pacific Coast Highway along the west coast of the US. That one I've done, and it's just lovely - I think you'd enjoy it if you love coastal scenery!

pwarbi likes this.
  4. GenevB

GenevB New Member

I noted that down, also in the bucket list, tell me how much would it take for a car to get from one end to the other of Route 66? I guess it would take more than just a day, so there must be lots of motels on the side, am I right?

5. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

I'm not 100% sure how long it would take to travel Route 66 without stopping, but they say when you're going over there then to plan a minimum of 2-4 weeks on the road, so you then at least get to experience the full beauty of the town's and cities it passes through.

6. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

It's close to 2500 miles for the entire length of the trip! There are motels and stuff along the way, but some are probably smaller and dingier than the others, considering it passes through a lot of really tiny towns. If you were planning to do the whole thing rather than just a chunk of it, I'd definitely recommend doing a little research beforehand and anticipating the towns where you'll stop. Don't try and do too much driving in any one day!

7. GenevB

GenevB New Member

Interesting, I would definitely love to go there one day, at stop at those little motels you are talking about, as over the course of years, I have realized that the best food you can ever get, is at a small motel, somewhere in the middle of nowhere. There, you'll get the food of your life, a motel forgotten by people, but they somehow make the best food, at least that was the case on multiple occasions for me, when I've stopped at motels who never appeared on any map, motels who seemed to be located at what you thought it is the end of the world. They would prepare you an incredible recipe, and you would always remain with that memory of it.

8. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

@GenevB if you google "Wigwam Hotel San Bernadino" you'll be able to see one of the more unique hotels along the way! When I have researched driving Route 66 in the past that hotel has always been somewhere I have looked at and wanted to stay at!

It would certainly be a unique experience and I think quirky places to stay just make a trip all the more memorable!

9. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

While the actual road is famous, I think what makes it special to most people is the motels, towns and cities that the road will take you through and past while your driving down it.

As you've both said, it's definitely near the top of a lot of people's bucket lists, and unlike other experiences, of all the stories I've heard off people that have driven down it, it certainly lives up to expectations and if you do go, then you won't regret it.

10. integrity101

integrity101 New Member

I also dream of jumping into a Corvette and driving off Route 66 like in the old movies. I'd love to make stop overs for refreshments in the old country motels and inns along the route. It would be an experience of a lifetime.

pwarbi likes this.
  11. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

Or even if you want to save on a bit of money, hire a camper van and pitch up in one of the rest stops at the side of the road?

A lot of people will also do both, and stay in a few motels every other couple of nights, but then also sleep at the side of the road aswell, depending on the location.

12. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I'd try and stay at RV parks rather than on the side of the road, I know some places around the world are cool with it but I've heard other places issuing fines - maybe that's just bad luck or a grumpy cop, though!

pwarbi likes this.
  13. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

Well that's true, and no matter where you are you should always make sure you check the local legislation regarding what your planning to do.

Like you say in a lot of areas you are allowed to just pull off and as long as your out the way, stay there for the night, but some states might not allow that. Safety could also be an issue aswell, and if there are the RV parks around then that could be the better option in regards to that aswell.

amelia88 likes this.
  14. Lynk

Lynk Member

I've driven parts of it but never done the whole trip. I think it would be amazing! The parts I have driven have some really cute old style hotels with lots of personality. Some amazing dining along the Route as well, and lots of educational pit stops.

pwarbi likes this.
  15. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

Food is a big part of route 66, and like you say, you can experience alsorts of cuisines as you go along the highway, passing through the different states.

The roadside diners that you can stop at, are almost as famous as the hotels and the actual route itself, and make up another part of a trip to remember.