1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Russia: Volgograd Or Yekaterinburg?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by omgidk, Jun 25, 2016.

1. omgidk

omgidk New Member

I know Moscow and Saint Petersburg are more popular, but has anyone visited either of these Russian cities? From what I've looked at on Google Images, Volgograd looks like an older, more historical city while Yekaterinburg seems to be a more modern city. I might get the opportunity to visit one of these cities soon, but I can't decide. I'll have to do some more research, but what do y'all think?

2. reverserewind

reverserewind Member

I'm from the latter. It's pretty big and well-developed city. However, I don't see it as a huge tourist attraction. Though, there are some cool places you would definitely enjoy seeing. And I'd be glad to show them to you If I have some spare time.

I don't know anything about Volgograd. Some terrorist attacks took place there at the very end of 2013 but now it's pretty safe I believe.

3. reverserewind

reverserewind Member

Currently, EXPO 2016 is happening here. It's considered a huge event for the city. Also, some football/soccer World Cup 2018 games will be played in Yekaterinburg. The preparations have already been started long ago.

4. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

One of my colleagues went to Russia last year together with their 2 teenage children. They went to St. Petersburg and some other noted places but mostly in Moscow although I don't remember the places. They had sampled the original Volga Vodka that is the national beverage of Russia. And they had a lot of selfie with the locals particularly the women who look like fashion models.

If we are going to Russia, perhaps we would just go for a few days of touring because it is very cold especially during the cold months of October to January. My husband and I have a weak body for cold climate.

5. reverserewind

reverserewind Member

And they had a lot of selfie with the locals particularly the women who look like fashion models.

Yeah! Damn, that's the reason why I would never leave my country forever. Russian women are the hottest. So many foreign visitors say this. I feel blessed to live there.

6. reverserewind

reverserewind Member

Let me correct you a bit. Russia is very big. It's enormous. Thus, there are several climate zones. The hottest part is probably the South where the weather stays warm even during the winter. Generally, it's getting below zero by early/mid November and it stays like that until late March. April is usually the dirtiest month of the year as the snow and ice are going off and turning into mud.

May - August can be super hot. September is usually pretty warm, however it gets colder by the end.

Pretty much that's it!

Corzhens likes this.
  7. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

Oh, thanks very much for the added knowledge. All along I thought Russia is a fridge when it comes to climate. In the olden days, I had read that USSR covers 13 time zones because of its vast territory. But when the USSR had broken up, I thought Russia was not that big anymore. But anyway, what is that southern part called? Your comment somewhat fired up my imagination about Russia because now I am thinking of that summer place in the south.

8. I know this is a stupid question but isn't Russia part of Asia? I mean I get culturally they might be more like Eastern Europe but shouldn't this be in the Asia thread?

On another note, where is the best place to go see art museums? I love Russian artist but I don't see myself going very far due to how cold it gets up there. I'm a wuss. What city in you opinion has the prettiest architecture?

9. reverserewind

reverserewind Member

I actually live in Yekaterinburg. Born & raised. It's right there where Europe and Asia come together. In 2014 we had a super cold winter. It was -37 outside at some point. However, this summer... it was +36 at some point. Such heat stayed here for about a month. The air was super dry. We were even praying for the rain.

Initially, I was speaking about the so-called Kavkaz region and anything close.

Corzhens likes this.
  10. reverserewind

reverserewind Member

Well, this topic is not about the whole Russia, actually. It's basically just a question of choice between two cities which, in turn, both are situated in the European part of Russia. So, technically it's all correct.

But yeah, the bigger part of Russia is in Asia. No doubt on that. Your comment on the culture also seems legit. Russia is not closed off anymore, so it definitely has a lot of the European influences.

Moreover, most people here have nothing in common with Asia in the looks department. Russians are not Asians by nature, even though the 200-year old Mongolian invasion had left some mark on the culture.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  11. reverserewind

reverserewind Member

Believe it or not, most younger people (up to 35 years) here are almost clueless about their own culture. Like Americans and Europeans, they tend to watch a lot of garbage tv-shows and spend time chit-chatting on social media. They successfully follow Western trends, so I would call Russia a pretty much Western country these days.

I would recommend you go to Saint Petersburg. No worries, it's West but also North at the same time. Come there in the summer. It's deemed a cultural capital of Russia. A former capital of the Russian Empire.

12. Thank you for your reply. I thought the threads were arranged geographically but it's nice to know they consier culture as well. Still it's weird not to consider Russia Asian since it's in Asia. You could make a case that the Middle East isn't Asian either since their culture is unqiue.

13. Thank you for you recommendation. I'll do some more research now that I have Saint Petersburg as a starting point. Whenever I consider traveling to any country close to either poles, I always make sure to go in the summer. I made the mistake of trying to go to Alaska just before winter and lets just say I won't make that mistake agan.

14. reverserewind

reverserewind Member

Russia belongs to both continents, so it's definitely in Asia as well. However, we treat this issue a bit differently. Our government says that we, as a nation, have a unique historical path, so it's somewhat impossible to pigeonhole us into some kind of category. Unlike many other statements from the politicians here, I completely agree on that. Russia has a big history that's pretty fascinating to study.