1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sakura In Japan - Cherry Blossoms

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Corzhens, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

We had bought plane tickets for Osaka, Japan to see the Sakura which is popularly known as cherry blossoms season. Our trip is on March 15 of 2017 and we are hoping to see even a glimpse of the cherry blossoms. This would be our first time to travel to Japan so everything there is alien to us including the language. From what we have gathered, Japan is an expensive place so we should be ready with our budget. And although Japanese food is the order of the day, there are international cuisines in some restaurant.

Do you have a tip for us for our Japan trip?

2. I am afraid I can't offer any tips for your trip because I have never been to Japan. However, if it fits into your itinerary, you may consider visiting Thailand to see cherry blossoms. Not far from Chiang Mai in the northern hills of Thailand, there are cherry blossom gardens. The blooming season is from December to January when the weather is especially cool. Here's a picture:
    2K5KD0W.

3. Miya

Miya Active Member

I live in Japan so I can give you some tips on where to go. For cherry blossom viewing, I would recommend going to Osaka Castle Park. It's where (surprise surprise) Osaka Castle is. There are tons of cherry blossom trees there and they are beautiful in full bloom. Osaka Castle + cherry blossoms in full bloom = one of the best scenes you'll ever see.

And Japan is not as expensive as people believe. You can get cheap food and souvenirs easily; you just have to know where to go. I recommend you walk down Dotonbori and Shinsaibashi. There are tons of shops there and since they are all selling (almost) the same thing, they'll have competitive prices. It's the same with food. Eating street food is usually going to be cheaper than sitting down at a restaurant. Most of Osaka's famous foods are meant to be street food anyway, so it'll all work out.

I hope you have a great trip :)

4. I want to go there with some friends. I really want to picnic with them while enjoying some sake and street food. I really want to go to Mount Yoshiko in Nara Prefecture. There are over 30,000 cherry trees during the peak blooming season. The only problem is that I'm kind of out of shape. I'm working on losing weight so I can do all the walking needed to see the temples and hopefully a mountain of blossoming cherry trees.

5. You have raised a very interesting point. A lot of these sightseeing spots involves a lot of walking and walking and walking. That is definitely a deterrent for people who are not that agile anymore. Some may be just old. Some may be out of shape. Some may be disabled. So, are there any facilities in those cherry blossom areas to cater for people who do not or cannot want to walk that much? Golf carts, perhaps?

6. Miya

Miya Active Member

You should also consider going to Kyoto since they are super famous for temples, shrines, and cherry blossoms. It's so pretty there in the spring time. And you can access a lot of the temples/shrines in Kyoto without much hiking :)

7. Oh, thanks for that information. I'll add that to my to do list then. I probably won't get to Japan for another couple of years but I definitely want to go when the cherry blossoms are blooming.

8. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Japan is WONDERFUL - honestly it's one of my favorite travel destinations. I don't speak any proficient level of Japanese, just a few key words here and there, and I never had any trouble. I also think the food there is delicious. I can't recall having a bad meal at all. I don't really like sushi, but there's so many other options for Japanese cuisine - some of my favorites are Japanese style curry (it's very different than Indian or Thai curries!) and tempura and soba noodles. Also, ramen of course - there are so many different varieties! A lot of places do have English menus, which is handy and makes it a lot easier than trying to decipher what to order! Also - a lot of places have plastic "model" display foods outside their stores, so you can essentially see what you're ordering too! I thought that was super cool.

I think in 2017 they usually release a projection based on what the temperature has been like of when they expect the cherry blossoms to open - so hopefully you do catch them in time! :)