1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sao Tome And Principe

Discussion in 'Africa' started by Phileas80, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Phileas80

Phileas80 Member

Is anyone out there from this country or does anyone have any experience of living there or staying there on holiday? I'm interested in getting first hand information as I plan to spend some time there soon.

2. Coco

Coco Active Member

Sao Tome and Principe is a small island in the Atlantic Coast of Africa. It is actually Africa's second smallest country and is claimed by Portugal. Hence, half of the population here speak Portuguese and the other half speak Forro. Basically, in the northern part of the country, Portuguese is spoken and in the southern half, Forro is spoken. If you have some knowledge of French, then you can communicate with the locals at least a bit because it's taught in schools there and is easier to learn for them. English is taught as well but since they get little tourists, they don't apply it as much or even use it.

Sao Tome and Principe are inhabited prior to colonisation of the Portuguese. It boasts of rich and lush rainforest, essentially a tropical paradise waiting to be explored. I would recommend the following tourist destinations:
    • Ilheus Das Rolas Beach. This can be found in the Southern part of Sao Tome. This is a remote paradise which not a lot of people have visited. You can swim, dive or snorkel in here. But for me, just being able to see its beauty is enough.
    • Obo National Park. You can go bird watching, trekking and just bask in the beauty of nature here.
    c556d63ab99049e1360bdbaf82d1086f.
    • Sao Tome Market. You can find souvenirs, talk to the locals or just try some dishes here.
    Sao_Tome_Capital_Market.
    I hope this helps! If you have any more questions, just ask me about them. Enjoy your trip!

Phileas80 likes this.
  3. Phileas80

Phileas80 Member

Great pictures, I had a good idea about the general make up of the country however the info you provided lets me know that the country has much more to offer!

4. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

This isn't somewhere that was really on my radar before I saw those pictures - that national park is just beautiful! I love hiking and trekking so that sounds right up my alley - what amazing surroundings to get to do that in!

I'm wondering about getting there though - what airlines fly there? I'm in the US now so I would have to fly from Los Angeles International. It probably costs a small fortune to get there from here, I'm guessing! But I'm interested just based on the pictures. I'm also curious about accommodation options there.

5. Phileas80

Phileas80 Member

I think it might prove a bit tricky from the US. As it's a former colony the best transport links will be with the country it was connected to in the past. TAP Portugal has direct flights to Sao Tome, Cape Verde ,and Brazil. Often if you are in Europe and flying to one of those destinations then it's necessary to travel via a Portuguese city. I don't really know much about accommodation but jut look on booking.com as they give a great illustration of the options available.

amelia88 likes this.
  6. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I just had a quick look and there seem to be some very very reasonably priced places to stay! For instance, there were places where I could stay for around $150 for 3 nights! I just put in random dates to see what kind of costs I was looking at. I guess the very reasonable cost of accommodation may help offset the expensive cost of getting there in the first place. I do imagine though I'll have to wait a few years until I could travel there - it would probably be as part of a larger trip, instead of just visiting there on its' own.

7. Phileas80

Phileas80 Member

Sounds great, another point is that online prices are often more than what you'll find when you land in a country. Especially in a more remote location outside of any special occasion. I doubt $150 for 3 nights is a standard price and wouldn't be surprised if there are hotels which don't advertise online which are at least 50% cheaper. The larger trip option makes sense and you often get more from island holidays if you combine them with visiting more conventiona urba locations.