1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saving Money In Your Travels

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Corzhens, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

In the newspaper today are tips on how to save money when traveling abroad. Here is the excerpt of that article...

What is one common budget mistake people make when spending abroad?
    “Sometimes it is best to just use a card when purchasing because money changers may have a higher conversion rate than the card’s conversion rate."

What are the best financial steps I must take to save up for my next trip quickly?
    “Set your target budget for spending abroad—food, drinks, accommodations, shopping, sight-seeing expenses.

For the complete article, here is the link - http://preen.inquirer.net/28091/the-6-questions-you-should-ask-so-you-can-save-while-traveling

2. Valerie

Valerie Active Member

Definitely have to agree with the contents of the article. After trying nearly every possible route to saving money or transferring money from my US bank account to Japan, I eventually decided just to use my credit card for major purchases because the transaction payment/exchange rate is so much lower than any other service. I mean, $10 to draw $100 out of an ATM is just...absurd.

The part about budgeting too. It's important to have an idea of how much the average day costs at your travel destination. Like, a day in Tokyo might be $30 as opposed to $15 in London (don't quote me on those numbers, I have no idea what London pricing is like) means you have to save more for traveling in Japan than you would going through London. However, that isn't to say you can't travel through Tokyo with just $100, because there's a lot of free things you can do.

Great article. Thank you for the link.

3. Francis

Francis New Member

I don't know what drives many to overspend. With a clear budget, one can avoid overspending thereby saving a lot of money. We have to restrain from visiting places which we never planned to visit. If you want to save money back at home then consider leaving it back. Many people have also admitted to have overspend on alcohol, which we must avoid. You can choose cheaper travelling plans if you are serious on saving.

4. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Active Member

It's those little things. One of THE best ways I find is to have an accomodation with a kitchen. It just makes a huge difference as you can eat there most of the time instead of eating out.

But then again, I really prefer to save money while I'm at home and spend it when traveling. Usually a little extra money brings a lot of convenience and that can be a lifesaver when you have a short vacation.

5. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Definitely agree with the tip about using card as much as possible rather than cash. I do usually carry a certain amount of cash on me though, since some places simply don't accept card and I don't want to be stuck in a situation where I need to pay for something and can't. But repeat trips to ATMs is a huge waste of cash when traveling!