1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Сhеаp Wаy Tо Bасkpасk In Еurоpе

Discussion in 'Europe' started by WilliamV, May 2, 2016.

1. WilliamV

WilliamV New Member

Buy а bасkpасk, а Еurаil pаss fоr trаins, shоp fоr fооd in grосеry stоrеs, slееp in yоuth hоstеls, lооk fоr оdd jоbs whilе in sаid yоuth hоstеls оr hаnging оut whеrеvеr. Mаkе friеnds whо саn split соsts оr оffеr ассоmmоdаtiоns. Visit frее plасеs likе pаrks аnd mоnumеnts, аnd сhеаp plасеs likе musеums, аvоid mоst rеstаurаnts. Wаlk а lоt. Pаris fоr еxаmplе hаs аn еxсеllеnt сhеаp mеtrо but I lеаrn mоrе wаlking аrоund thаn I dо оn thе subwаy. Mаkе surе yоur shоеs аrе соmfоrtаblе.

Tаlk tо thе lосаls. I hаd mоrе fun drinking with fishеrmеn in Vеniсе thаn еlsеwhеrе аnd thе еаrly mоrning strееt stаll bаrs by thе fish mаrkеt wеrе сhеаp. Smеllеd intеnsеly оf fish, but сhеаp grаppа.

Figurе оut whаt yоu must sее оr dо аnd hеnсе spеnd саsh оn аnd trim аll оthеr purсhаsеs. Tаkе phоtоs rаthеr thаn buy things. Dо sоmе wеb rеsеаrсh, likе yоu'rе dоing hеrе, tо gеt idеаs. Lеаrn hоw tо hikе аnd slееp undеr а tаrp оr tеnt in nаtiоnаl pаrks (оbеy lосаl lаws оn whеrе this аllоwеd).

Finаl hints: gо during wаrm wеаthеr (summеr/fаll) аnd visit сhеаpеr nаtiоns in еаstеrn Еurоpе lоngеr thаn priсiеr оnеs likе Gеrmаny. Within nаtiоns lеаrn сhеаpеr аrеаs (Frаnсе's соuntrysidе саn bе muсh mоrе rеаsоnаblе thаn its сitiеs).

Hаvе fun.

2. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

Once upon a time we had planned on backpacking. We were encouraged by a documentary on tv about Filipinos backpacking in Vietnam. But when we got plane tickets for Vietnam last year, we had changed our minds. First, we are not that young anymore so we have to admit that we would get tired at night and we have to settle in a comfortable hotel. Second, we are choosy when it comes to food so we cannot just eat anywhere. But for the young and those being thrifty in budget, I guess backpacking is a good idea.

3. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Active Member

As always, accomodation and food are the two things that will cost you. So if you can save as much as possible in both of those then you're off to a good start.

4. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlands New Member

I think that many people go wrong by booking expensive accommodation - but in my mind, being a part of the culture is part of the attraction to having a great time. So I would much rather book myself into hostels as that means that I can spend time with other travellers and hear all about their stories. I have met a number of friends from doing this who I still speak to today, so I am very glad that I made this decision.

5. Rachel

Rachel Member

You could consider couch surfing? This is a fantastic way to get free accommodation and meet new friends on your travels! There's a website devoted to it, and lots of social networking resources you can also take advantage of. I haven't tried it personally, but the initiative seems to be incredibly well organised. The company was set up as a not-for-profit a few years ago. There are even events you can go to register your interest as a couch surfer. You can register with the website for free, but you need to pay an annual fee in order to access the resources. There's plenty of information online if you want to know more.

6. maxen57

maxen57 Member

Doing odd jobs for extra money is a good idea if the locals are trusting enough. I wouldn't mind doing a few chores for them for a fee and that would help me with my daily expenses. A good friend of mine travelled to Canada once and she was only there for six months as a limit. Since her relatives based there are known to the community, they are usually entrusted by the parents of the children to look out for them for a few hours while the parents are at work. A baby sitting job turned out to be real profitable and had enabled my friend to save up.

7. Valerie

Valerie Active Member

There are indeed many hostels around Europe that are cheap. Better yet, if you need to hang out at a place for awhile, many of those same hostels will let you work rather than pay for accomodations. Of course, it's always best to contact the owner first to make sure it'll be okay; but I kmow quite a few people who've backpacked through Europe while volunteering at fruit farms, on docks, in bars, and at hostels/resorts.

I also think house/pet sitting are viable options for getting through Europe on a small budget.

8. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Active Member

Asking around in the hostels is a good idea, if you know you'll be staying for a few weeks ask around for "work in the area" and if they are looking for people I'm sure you'll be at the top of the list since you are staying there. But keep in mind that in Europe, depending on the country, the laws can be quite strict. There are very few "just work and I'll pay you in cash" type of opportunities, especially with established businesses. Things like fruit picking have worked well for others but you need to go in the right season. There are also websites where people are looking for help (could be renovating their house, need a babysitter, maybe just need someone to talk english to) and the deal is that you help them and they accomodate you for free.

9. Thanks, this is really practical advice. I want to go but I don't want to do it alone and my friends are either married with kids or broke. I have a list of art museums and cathedrals that I want to see while I'm there. I think I would go once I have enough cash set aside to pull from in an emergency. While I like to travel cheaply, I like the comfort of being able to stay in a hotel, leave on a train or plane, or just catch a ride when I need to rather than depend on getting lucky.

10. Ava

Ava Member

Traveling around Europe doesn't have to be only on trains as buses and coaches offer good deals too. Mega Bus where fares can be as low as €1 + 50c booking fee. If you book ahead an plan, that can be much cheaper, plus train fares around Europe are often determined at the time of day you travel, so off peak can save you money rather than being tied to a rail pass.

I also find on buses and coaches people are more friendly, as you all wait together and they drop you off in the town too. I love trains though, so I always weigh up which is the best in terms of timings, cost and how close it is to the hotel or hostel.

11. Backpacking in Europe? Yes, that's something I have thought about when I was much younger. I like the idea of traveling by train. I always go third class. The people who travel by third class trains, where I travel in Thailand, are usually friendly and prepared to talk to total strangers. It's a way of passing the time pleasantly.

Sadly, I don't think I will be able to backpack through Europe anymore. Now that I am much older, I am very much less mobile. So I will have to settle for traveling via the Web. Not the full experience but still better than nothing.