1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shipping Home What You Bought Abroad

Discussion in 'Africa' started by Corzhens, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

When we were in Bangkok, we saw one store with a poster that says we can send home what we buy from them. The store sells clothing items and some food stuff like tamarind and durian chips plus souvenir items.
    As per the owner of store, there are many foreigners who want to buy a lot of things but has the problem of bringing home because of the limited baggage allowance in the airport. Their service is both air cargo and ship cargo which is cheaper but understandably takes a longer time than air cargo. I think that is a good option they give to their customers.

amelia88 likes this.
  2. That sounds like a plan. To carry all the stuff you buy together with you on the plane is rather a big problem. I think that shop is on to a good thing. The next obvious question is how reliable are they? Do they give you a tracking number to follow the progress of your package? If anything goes wrong on the way, what redress do you have?

3. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I like when I can ship stuff back home too - some countries seem to have really reasonably priced postage services...others not so much. I remember when I was in Australia and wanted to ship some stuff back home to the States, and it was a small fortune to send even a smallish box...but when I was in Japan I found their postage system much more reasonably priced. I think whether I shipped stuff back or not would really be dependent on the cost of it...sometimes it's cheaper to deal with overweight luggage fees at the airport depending on your air carrier!

4. Ava

Ava Member

I prefer to pack things myself and send them by sea. Alternatively, you can pay for an extra case on some airlines if it's not too heavy. I used to ship things back to myself when I studied and lived abroad.

These days you can find good deals with shipping companies as long as you don't mind waiting. Watch out for customs though and taxes, which can make the purchases not such a great bargain.

Valentino likes this.
  5. Miya

Miya Active Member

Shipping things is too expensive for me. I would only ship things home if I were buying in bulk. If it's only a few of each items, I prefer to carry it myself. If it doesn't fit in the suitcase, it'll go in my carry-on or personal item.

But then again, I don't really buy a lot of souvenirs when I travel. Most of the souvenirs I buy are either small things or I buy them in small quantities. So it's never been a problem for me.

6. Valentino

Valentino Member

The only things I ever buy when traveling abroad are a few souvenirs. For those who travel with the sole intent of shopping I believe buying from someone who will also offer to ship what you buy might be a good idea especially if they also have some online presence. It would be like buying something online. You must be careful though because you can be scammed. If the business/company/seller you are buying stuff from has a good reputation and a great track record, do business with them. If they are relatively new but promise they'll ship what you buy, keep you cash in your wallet.

7. I find that the best souvenirs are digital. Just take pictures with your camera or smartphone. With you in the frame, of course. That would be very handy and it gives your friends at home a vicarious way of sharing your journey.

8. That sounds really convenient, I wish more stores in the airports were like that. I end up shipping most of my souvenirs and even parts of my luggage via mail because it's practical. The limit on luggage plus my lack of desire to drag huge heavy bags through the airport has me shipping my stuff through the mail all the time. I think the business owners are really clever to offer this.

9. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

In Manila there is a store of local ice cream that ships it for you. The store is right inside the Ninoy Aquino Airport. All you have to do is to buy the desired ice cream and the store will pack it for you complete with dry ice so the ice cream will not melt. Isn't it very convenient for the traveler?

10. That sounds like a great idea. So what's the special ingredient in the ice cream? Is it something made from coconut milk? In Thailand, we can get ice cream made from coconut milk. It does taste rather different. I am sure there must be something different about the Manila ice cream to make it worth shipping home.