1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sоmе Trаvеl Hасks Whеn Trаvеlling In Еurоpе

Discussion in 'Europe' started by WilliamV, May 2, 2016.

1. WilliamV

WilliamV New Member

I just rесеntly rеturnеd frоm my first trip tо Nоrwаy (Оslо аnd Bеrgеn) sо I саn оffеr sоmе things I figurеd оut оr lеаrnеd аlоng thе wаy. Plеаsе аlsо nоtе - this is gоing tо bе аdviсе mоst usеful tо Аmеriсаns visiting Nоrwаy, аs оthеrs might nоt hаvе similаr nееds.

Gо bеtwееn Jаnuаry аnd Mаrсh(prеfеrаbly lаtе Mаrсh, аs lосаl pеоplе tоld mе thаt muсh оf my trip wоuld'vе bееn diсеy in Jаnuаry). Rеаsоn bеing ... thе rаtеs аrе rеаlly, rеаlly lоw during thоsе mоnths. I flеw frоm JFK (NYС) tо Оslо fоr sоmеthing likе $200. Nоrwаy is аn еxpеnsivе соuntry fоr аn Аmеriсаn tо visit. Sаvе mоnеy еvеrywhеrе yоu саn.

Pоwеring yоur stuff. I gоt twо оf thеsе (thrее оf us wеnt) оn Аmаzоn fаirly сhеаply. It hаs USB аnd rеgulаr Аmеriсаn plugs аnd shоuld bе mоrе thаn еnоugh fоr yоur phоnеs, lаptоps, саmеrа's, еtс. Nоrwеgiаn hоtеls wеrе nо diffеrеnt thаn Аmеriсаn hоtеls rеgаrding аvаilаbility оf оutlеts. This сhаrgеr саmе in а littlе bоx thаt fits vеry niсеly in yоur suitсаsе withоut tаking up tоо muсh vаluаblе rеаl еstаtе.

Bring а gооd саmеrа. If yоu'rе likе mе, sоmеоnе frоm Nеw Yоrk whо's nеvеr bееn tо Nоrwаy bеfоrе, yоu'rе gоing tо sее а lоt оf stuff (nаturаl аnd оthеrwisе) thаt yоu'vе likеly nеvеr sееn bеfоrе. Invеst in а dесеnt саmеrа tо саpturе thоsе things. I brоught my Nikоn D5100 with mе аnd dеfinitеly dоn't rеgrеt it. Yоur сеll phоnе isn't gоing tо dо justiсе tо things likе this ...
    Sаvе mоnеy оn fооd. Аmеriсаns will likеly bе shосkеd by whаt it соsts tо еаt in Nоrwаy. Еspесiаlly in Оslо. But thеrе аrе wаys tо gеt аrоund this unlеss yоu'rе intеnt оn еаting whаtеvеr yоu figurе is thе "lосаl сuisinе" аnd аrе еаting in plасеs еаsy fоr tоurists tо find.

If yоu'rе stаying in а Hоtеl (I stаyеd аt thе Rаdissоn Blu Plаzа in Оslо (whiсh I highly rесоmmеnd) yоu саn likеly gеt а frее brеаkfаst thеrе in thе mоrning bеtwееn сеrtаin hоurs. DО THАT. Wе lеаrnеd prеtty fаst tо lоаd up оn brеаkfаst (whiсh wаs dеfinitеly а vеry high quаlity buffеt-stylе аffаir) аnd hаvе а light аnd сhеаp lunсh. This сut оur mеаl bills by а signifiсаnt pеrсеntаgе аnd brоught it bасk tо whаt аn Аmеriсаn wоuld соnsidеr "rеаsоnаblе" tо еаt fоr а dаy. It аlsо mаdе mе а lоt lеss аpprеhеnsivе аbоut thе priсеs оn thе dinnеr mеnu's аnd I wаs аblе tо just еnjоy my fооd.

amelia88 likes this.
  2. Quazi

Quazi Member

If you're walking around with a big pack on your back that prevents you from easily looking around: padlock every zip. Don't put any valuables in outside compartments that can be cut open.
    But this goes for anytime your wear a big pack, oppurtunists everywhere :)

3. Qoelet

Qoelet New Member

I'd add that Norway is a very expensive for most people to visit. I've been a few times from England and it's eye-wateringly expensive.

Another tip I'd add to the above is, if you like a drink or too - take full advantage of the duty free. It may sound excessive but last time I went I bought the maximum six bottles of wine and 1ltr of spirits because they were about half the price if I were to buy them in any typical Norweigan shop.

Norway is expensive on everything, but if you're partial to a tipple then you really will feel it more, as it feels more expensive for alcohol (even average quality stuff) so if you are able to stock up beforehand, do so!

4. Quazi

Quazi Member

Norway has high taxation but health care and public higher education is covered. Sounds like an ideal place to be a student! Duty free too? Students are well catered for! :p

5. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlands New Member

I think you make a good point about travelling when the rates are low - as this can honestly make a massive difference when it comes to the amount that you will end up paying in general. If you go during off-peak times you can get everything much more cheaply, because places will be trying to attract business at a quiet time of the year, which is great. I know that whenever I travel I will try booking things at various times of the year just to see whether it will make much of a difference, and usually it does!

6. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Active Member

Yeah it's cheaper to go there in the winter, then again it's a whole different thing! January and Febryary can be really really cold and dark... most don't see that as the ideal travel weather.

I went to iceland in January and all the hotels, car rentals etc were -50%. But the choice to go in winter was because I wanted to see what it's like, not because it ended up being cheaper.

7. Rachel

Rachel Member

Is Norway expensive in general? I ask because I am going on a cruise around the Norwegian fjords next month and we will be having days onshore in various destinations, so I need to get an idea of what the costs for food and drink are. If it's going to be prohibitive, I will load up at breakfast on the ship and then make do until dinner in the evening!

8. Thank you for the tips mate. A very good and dear friend of mine lives in Norway and I've been wanting to visit him for a very long time now. Never really knew the best time to visit (because it's quite expensive to travel from Greece to Norway). Your travel 'hacks' really gave me a greater insight into preperation and I may finally be able to visit him next year.

9. crimsonghost747

It's one of the most expensive countries in the world. I think that sums it up pretty well. :p

10. Yes, indeed. In fact, it is the second most expensive country within the Europe. Switzerland holds the first place and Luxembourg the third.

11. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

A camera is very important when traveling especially abroad. And you should be aware of the batteries because a camera with dead batteries is useless. When we go abroad, we used to bring 2 cameras so if one fails then we have a backup. But when I got this Samsung phone with a camera that has very good resolution, my husband would bring just 1 camera and my phone would serve as the second camera. Aside from pictures, we see to it that we get a good number of videos particularly for the moving scenes like a double-decker bus or an animal on the go.

12. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

While I've never been to Norway, I have been to Sweden and that's also mega expensive aswell to be honest. When travelling anywhere, I think its always important to get the cheapest deal you can when it comes to flights and hotels.

Saving money on the cost of the trip, will give you more funds for when your actually over there and for me that's probably the most important.

13. krnd

krnd New Member

This summer I will be heading to Denmark with my girlfriend and we're actually worried about the expenses and how it will fare compared to Korea, we're aware food may be a bit more expensive than we're used to but hopefully anyone with previous experience in this thread could shoot us some extra tips? :)

14. crimsonghost747

Denmark is not a cheap destination either. All the normal tips apply, save on accomodation as much as you can, don't eat out too much etc.

15. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Iceland, all of those countries that have already been mentioned in the thread (and more besides) are expensive countries for tourists.

Living and working there isn't too bad, because the wages are in line with the prices, but for example a pint of beer in the UK in Manchester is £3.50. In London it's around £6.00. Compare that to Copenhagen for example, and it works out around £12 so as you can see, its far from cheap!

16. Phileas80

Phileas80 Member

Scandinavian countries have placed very high taxes on alcohol resulting in ridiculous prices compared to just about anywhere else. If you plan on having a few drinks when you are there or trying to sample some of the nightlife it's a very good idea to buy alcohol at duty free beforehand. The prices are at least two to three times higher than other expensive cities and having a few drinks at a bar or restaurant is a quick way to blow your budget!

17. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I always love when other share their travel tips - it definitely gives me ideas on how I should be trying to structure my trip if I visit there.

I love what you said about loading up on breakfast, especially if it's free! A lot of hotel breakfasts I've been to in my time have had a pretty decent selection, and certainly enough to hold me over until mid afternoon a lot of the time! Food can really take a sizeable chunk out of the budget so anywhere you can save some money is a big win in my book!

18. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

Depending on what sort of trip you go on, food can play a massive part of the budget. While all inclusive and bed and breakfast accommodation can work out more expensive short term, in the long run it can save you money.

19. crimsonghost747

Yup, also a good idea is to get drunk at first and then go out to have a beer or two at the pub. This technique will save you A LOT even if the prices in stores are pretty expensive too.

pwarbi likes this.
  20. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

You sound like an expert, haha! Seriously though, that's definitely an option to bare in mind. There was a few nights we didn't even go out and just stayed in the hotel, as we were all inclusive and this included alcohol.

I think even though all inclusive is obviously more expensive to start with, in countries such as these then depending on how long you stay, it might be worth it.

21. crimsonghost747

Haha, well yeah I've visited most of the nordic countries multiple times and lived in one of them for a long time too. If you plan on having a night out and count on just drinking at the bars (this is assuming you love to drink of course) then a couple hundred euros will disappear pretty fast. Better to get that case of beer from the store, invite some friends over and think about heading out to the bars later in the evening.

pwarbi likes this.
  22. Rachel

Rachel Member

That's always a good idea, if you are planning on getting a bit squiffy! I hate paying silly money for alcohol, but sometimes it's unavoidable. Couple of years ago we went to Nice for one of my girlfriend's 4oth birthday. We went to an awesome bar, with amazing music, but the cocktails were 12 euros each. I pretty much decided that I needed to take one for the team and just drank away! Good mojitos, I have to say...

23. Phileas80

Phileas80 Member

I second this idea, by far and away the best options for having a night out in the region unless you have 500 euros burning a whole in your pocket!!

24. Belovedad

Belovedad New Member

I think most of it depends on your reason to go there. I think Norway is best visited in the summer (disregarding price). This is the best time to capture scenery and to enjoy yourself. The landscape is pretty good and the way the cities are built is incredible. It is also one of the most expensive places in the world to visit but it is worth it. If you plan to go, I recommend heading to Bergen.

25. crimsonghost747

Ouch, yeah those prices are pretty common in the more touristic and fancy areas in France. It's not horrible if you are having 1 or 2 but if you plan on spending the whole evening there then it's going to show on your bank statement the next day!

26. Rachel

Rachel Member

Suffice to say we each had significantly more than two. I remember going to square our bar bill away at the end of the night and it came to several hundred euro! It was worth every penny though, we had a great night!

27. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

Of course though, the cheapest way is to not drink alcohol at all or if we do then limit the amount we consume. We all have a budget when we go travelling, and while we all like to have a good time, I'm sure we could spend the money we use on alcohol on other things that probably don't cost half as much.

28. crimsonghost747

haha yeah we've had our share of those too! That moment you pay it hurts but in the end that's what cash is for, you can use it to enjoy life. That expensive bill you will forget in a week but the memories can last a lifetime.

Rachel likes this.