1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

South American Festivals

Discussion in 'South America' started by vinaya, Oct 3, 2015.

1. vinaya

vinaya Member

South America is not only historically and anthropologically important continent (because of various civilizations), but also culturally rich region. The continent is famous for many festivals, for instance Day of the Dead in Mexico, Carnival in Brazil etc. What are you favorite South American festivals?

2. Sissi Beau

Sissi Beau New Member

I am dying to go to the Carnival in Brasil. The colors, the music, the dancing I love it all. Mix that with the most welcoming and friendly people you'll ever meet and you have the recipe for a great time.
    If you ever go there please learn how to dance Samba, you have to do it!

3. Novelangel

Novelangel Member

The Day of the Dead Festivals sort of creep me out. I think they originated in order to celebrate the lives of those who've gone on before, but they have turned into huge paradies of skeletons and walking dead. They are the oddest festivals I've ever seen, with sweet treats shaped like decorated skulls and faux funeral parades. I've never been to one in person but I've seen enough documentaries about them to wonder just what those people are thinking as they go through all those weird rites and rituals.

4. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

This is probably the one thing that will make me overcome the security problem in South America. I am not a big dancing guy but I would like to feel the energy and I am not picky at all so it doesn't have to be Carnival in Brazil. I'd go with anything similar. I like Mexico because of the food. I like it spicy but there is always the question of criminal and problems with some areas that are ruled by cartels and I guess like here in Serbia those places are not very sightseeing friendly.