1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Staying With A Relative In A Foreign Country

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Corzhens, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

Have you experienced saving money by not staying in the hotel when you are on a tour? How about staying in the house of a relative? When we go to Hongkong, we always stay in the condo of my nephew. But this year, we had to book into a hotel because my nephew moved to a cheaper condo which is small and would not fit all of us. But we only do that to a particular relative because not all relatives are okay to stay with. Some relatives are not hospitable enough.

Valentino likes this.
  2. Valentino

Valentino Member

There was a time when I didn't travel abroad at all. And since I had relatives living all over the country, if I wanted to visit a State where I have some relatives I'd stay with them for a couple of days. Never stayed longer than that though because I know most people don't like their visitors to stay around too long.

I don't have too many relatives living abroad or at least not in the places I travel to so I have to find other ways to save money.

3. When I was a child, I went to Singapore regularly to visit my relatives there. Of course, I stayed with them. It's unthinkable to even consider staying in a hotel. I have many cousins there of about my age and we always had a great time together when we meet. I also have many relatives in Thailand. However, since I was in Thailand to work, I decided to rent a house instead of imposing upon my relatives. I also have some very good friends in Thailand who always insisted that I stay in their houses whenever I was in their area.

Is it a good idea to stay with relatives while on holiday?

That depends on your relationship with your relatives. If you are all on very good terms, then why not. It's not just a matter of saving money. It's more a question of nurturing relationships.

4. christine

christine New Member

I 'survived' for 30 days in Dubai because I got free accommodations courtesy of my sister. If not for that, hotels would have been very expensive and I would not have been able to travel that far. Most of my relatives are in the United States and they're very much willing to have us around and even shoulder our fares but immigration has the say on this matter. My dad died in Chicago but we weren't able to see him in his hospital bed because our visa applications were denied and that's after paying $120 per head and showing the consul a medical certificate. I felt really bad.

I'd rather pay with my own money than stay with relatives who aren't that close to me and when in any case, I would be a burden.

5. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I'm much like Christine above me - I consider myself a frugal traveller but I still hate imposing and would prefer to fork out for my own space.

I also feel like if I stay with people (whether friends or family), I don't really have that ability to just come and go as I please. If I wanted to stay out late, or get up really early to go out sightseeing, I would feel as if I was disrupting the whole house - whereas if I am just paying for accommodation that doesn't happen!

6. Ava

Ava Member

I personally don't like to impose, but I have stayed with family in New York and Los Angeles. My great-aunt in Canada used to let me stay with her, but she has a new partner and they agreed no one was allowed to stay. I have always let people stay with me as long as they didn't mind a sofa or a small room, but it also depends on how well you know the relatives.

These days I would rather stay somewhere nearby, meet them for dinner or lunch and then see if staying with them is an option.

7. Francis

Francis New Member

Not everybody is usually ready for visitors especially when you don't inform them earlier. Luckily bnb services can offer a cheap alternative. You can also compare get cheap boarding alternatives. You'll have to plan first and have got enough enough money for you to enjoy travelling.

8. reverserewind

reverserewind Member

My auntie lives in Australia, so that was a place for me to stay. They have a nice and big house, so having the convenience was definitely out of question for me.

If you have relatives = that's a huge bonus you'd better appreciate.

9. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

When my husband went to the US, he stayed with an uncle's house for a month in the LA area and then he moved to a cousin's house in Santa Clara, near San Francisco. Later on, he rented a room even against he advice of his relatives who were willing to take him in. My husband said that the relatives are hospitable on the first week and they seem to fold the welcome mat on the second week. So with touring, I guess it is okay to stay with a relative for a week at the most because it's not a good experience to be frowned at when you stay too long in a relative's house.

10. Miya

Miya Active Member

Even though staying with a relative can save me money, I only stay with relatives that I am comfortable with. I don't like staying with relatives I'm not close to because it's super awkward and I feel like I "owe" them something afterwards because they let me stay with them for free. Plus if I'm not close to them, I feel like I'll be more reserved and when I'm on vacation, I just want to be free and not have to worry about what others think of me.

So long story short, I only stay with relatives in a foreign country if I'm close to them. Otherwise, I'd rather fork out the money and get a hotel.

11. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Australia is really expensive too when it comes to good accommodation, at least in the cities I travelled to it seemed that way! So that's a big score if you had family you were able to stay with.

12. reverserewind

reverserewind Member

Sure, but it's only for one city. We also went camping for a while and it was cool but a little bit too much in terms of money we spent on that. However, next time I go there, the area will be different, so I'll have to pay much more.

13. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Do you know any good campsites there? I've traveled a ton of the east coast but really want to go back...I think if I went during the summer there it would be fun to camp, but I don't really know where to start looking for campsites or things like that...are there like chains of different campsites? I know when I was in NZ I did some camping and there was a chain of great campsites run by the same company. I don't know if Oz has anything like that...