1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Summer Trip To Nyc

Discussion in 'North America' started by Norjak71, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Norjak71

Norjak71 New Member

Anyone going to NYC this summer? I thought about taking a trip during the Autumn months since their is nothing more beautiful than the changing color of leaves in Central Park during Autumn but I want to check out a few ballgames while I'm down there. If anyone goes to NYC regularly what is your favorite time of year to go and what do you do when you are there? I don't like to really do any tourist stuff when I'm there I mainly act like a resident and just hang out and walk the streets, take the subways late at night, talk to strangers, and try to immerse myself in the culture as much as I can. I get way more satisfaction just hanging around then trying to rush and see everything I can when I'm there.

2. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

I have a classmate who is in New York and she says they have extreme weather there. When it is summer, it is sizzling hot, much hotter than here in the Philippines and when it is winter, it is extremely cold with the pile of snow. Maybe I would go there during spring when the weather is mildly cool because I cannot stand the cold for I was born and raised in a tropical country. I can endure the summer though but I would prefer a cooler atmosphere. And in roaming the city, you have to be well-versed with the culture especially in protecting yourself from the muggers in the alleys and subways. However, those scary stories sometimes look exaggerated to me.

3. Norjak71

Norjak71 New Member

Well I am from Michigan so the extreme weather doesn't bother me at all. They do have insane winters though it doesn't even get that bad here in Michigan. And honestly, as crazy as it sounds, I like the danger element. Taking the subways in the dark middle of the night is an experience for me. I feel alive. Most New Yorker's are really good people and just trying to make a living, I never judge by personal appearance. I actually stopped and found a homeless man one night and took him to eat and we had one of the best conversations I've had in my entire life, I couldn't believe how smart and articulate he was. He thanked me and I even offered him a place to stay for the night, he declined, shook my hand said "god bless you" and just walked away. Some of the coolest people live there, it gets a bad reputation from people that haven't even experienced it like I have.

4. Lynk

Lynk Member

Last time I went to NYC I spent a good portion of the time just wandering around the city and popping into different delis and bars, especially places with live music. There is always something cool to see around every corner, and I agree, you really don't need to do the attractions and touristy stuff to have fun. I went in late September and the weather was absolutely gorgeous. I always have felt safe in subways too, usually there are enough people around that it doesn't have that dark street corner feeling, and it is such a fun way to explore the city!