1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Supernatural Cat Festival In Japan

Discussion in 'Asia' started by amelia88, Oct 23, 2016.

1. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

A friend of mine sent me this link, because we both just adore Japan!

https://tokyocheapo.com/events/bake-neko-ghost-cat-festival/

I think it looked like such a fun and quirky festival. I know we have a couple of people on the forum here that are in Japan right now - have you ever been to this or heard about this festival?

2. Oh, I want to go so bad. I love cats and I find it interesting that they have a festival just for cats. Japan has such mixed feelings about cats depending on what part of the country you're in. Some view cats a a sign of good luck and long live while others view them as scary. Japanese folklore about cats are some of the creepiest stories I've ever read. But this looks fun, I'll have to add this to my calendar, thanks for posting this.

3. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

One thing I did hear from a friend in Japan was that cats in pet stores are super expensive...like $2000 for a cat! So I guess in most parts if you are paying that kind of money for a pet cat it would be treated pretty well!

4. Ava

Ava Member

It sounds fun for sure and I am a cat fan. being so close to Halloween I guess it's natural to sound supernatural, but I think it's a nice idea to have a festival for cats. I just hope it means any strays will be taken care of as that is a huge issue in many countries.

5. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

I am a dog lover although cats are also okay with me. Pardon me but I don't click on links so I don't get the entire picture of the festival. We are going to Japan in March 2017 and maybe we can take a look. Our main goal for that upcoming trip to Japan is the sakura also known as the cherry blossoms.

6. It's interesting to see how the Japanese seem to make a great show out of just about anything. Perhaps it's part of their national psyche. I noticed that the Japanese are a rather homogenous people. Like there isn't very much cultural diversity in Japan. Maybe this makes the Japanese more unique. It's like a Japanese is a Japanese is a Japanese. I have seen some pictures of cosplay in Japan. They seem to really go the whole hog with such things. In other Asian countries, playing with make-believe doesn't seem to have such a public presence.